pool area garden designs - need your ideas!

Oswego, NY(Zone 5a)

We are expanding our gardens around our pool. We are looking for designs that provide a visual treat to the eyes. Currently there is no shade. It is sunny from sunrise to sunset. From the pool we have a panoramic view of our four acres. The fence is seven sections of black wrought iron fencing that dissapears to the eye. The pool is mountain lake shaped with grass surrounding the cement sidewalk around it.

Currently I have three gardens. My vegetable and perennial herb and flower garden. A Rock garden with succulants and perennial flowers. My three smoke bush garden (blocks the view of the neighbors a bit...).

We are looking at planting our Garnet Japanese Maple in our pool area. We have a dry half in the pool area that slopes away and a wet side that gets the moisture. In the middle dry area I have a rock garden with perrenials that require minimal watering during dry periods. This is where we are thinking of putting the maple. It is currently root bound in a 12" X 12" pot.

It is a weeping maple and some branches go below the pot a few inches. How do we plant it to accomadate these branches? I realize we could prune them also. We are not into concrete blocks or bricks. Natural rock is okay.

In winter this area is blanketed in snow drifts (Zone 5A) with a Southerly strong wind exposure. The vegetable garden is on the North side, the rock on the West side and the smoke bushes on the South side. The house is on the East side (does not shade the pool but briefly in the AM). We do not plant on the East side. We like an open view of the pool from all points in the house.

Thanks for your ideas!

21gardens

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!