custom Banner for Daves JM forum

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Here is something I received from Melody one of the Daves garden folks .. thought some of you might be interested in doing this so I will post it .. I certainly don't personally have the time although I might offer up something.. and does not fit into my slightly anti social personality ... But you can check out what the other forum did ... I don't have a link to her article but I am sure you can find it .. This group is likely a bit "different" than the Fuchsiaistas .. but if you are interested here is the blurb on it... talks amongst yourselves ;>)

"Something you all over in the JM forum might want to look at is today's article that I wrote. The Fuchsia Forum wants a custom banner and the folks at corporate were thrilled to do this...we're having a little contest to select the eventual winner. We'll let any forum that wants to, do something similar."

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

david go ahead and give her a great fall jm shot - over on the NE forum they have not been able to come to an agreement for months on what to use:) personally i wanted a nice fall shot of foliage with a fronting NE rock wall - some did not think rock walls were synonymous with NE.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I agree, David's photos are great and you can pick one. It is impossible for the group to choose.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Actually my wife Gale does all my web photography .her jpegs are really good .. I say that as objectively as I can ;>). but I will wait to see if anyone objects .. she will be happy to pick a great one for the forum banner but if someone else want to have theirs considered we can vote whatever you guys want... I am amenable to ..I find it odd that folks can't agree but I guess thats what happens when ya vote .. the idea that stone fences aren't New England is preposterous .. when I went to high school in Lenox Ma I have fond memories of many stone fences .. that's how they cleared the fields in "olden" times and kept the stones they took out and used as fences..it is as much New England .as clam "Chowda". Davidsan

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i will have to use the word preposterous when i get on that thread again:)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't have any objections to using one of your wife's photos for the banner, Davidsan!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

or you we can use the shirazz shot i sent you:) not actually a great fall foliage shot would be good.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Here are a few boffo shot6s .. just to see what can be done .. I think it will have to be horizontal so that is what I am showing .. foliage is the only thing that will work Imho .. but I have a email in to Mel .. now if anyone opposes this idea let me know I won't be offended I'm a big boy

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

here'as another

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

another

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

again

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Finally although I have thousands of others just as nice

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I really like the first two and the last one.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The first one is my favorite.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

All of these look great!

Let me get with tech and see what we need to do to get them ready for you all to look at.

Does anyone else want to add any more?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i will second the first one!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We're having a conference call with the tech team this afternoon. I'll find out what we need to do.

Milford, DE

David

Is that one of the Ghost maples?

Dave

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

that's what i thought dave - would be interested to know as well

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'll get these cropped to size, so you all can see what they will look like and get them posted.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Actually you are both close but no cigar .. it is the parent plant of the whole Ghost series actually photo #2 is Purple Ghost so you can see the similarities and differences upon close examination.. The Aka shigitasu sawa .. in spring .. some folks get more red than I do.. I think the soil ,makes some difference but this has not been photo shop'd except to size and thats what it looks like or did this spring . It is my wifes fav jpeg.. ( currently this changes about as fast as my fave JMs do.. I find the Aka to be a fab tree super duper hardy , can take some sun and if I have any complaint it colors late so if you have an early winter you may not get fall color .. on the flip side it comes out later than 99% of all jms so it is safe for those northern areas that get late frosts.. so overall it is a neutralk thing IMHO

I am also having my wife send a couple of her fav leaf only shots of tightly leaved dwarfs with whole ares of smaller colorful leaves that are super cool .. The reason is with the current horizontal look of that bird now sitting on top of this page with the flowers these photos may be cropped into oblivion .. and we want this to be a japanese maple banner .. so we will have some options .. who knows maybe they all will work.. it is hard to tell til Mel gets them optimized for the banner..

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 4:51 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

130 pixels wide is the specs I need. I'll crop a couple she's sent me and let you see how they'll look.

Milford, DE

Well David the second picture is the one I was actually commenting on. I like the way the leaves look translucent with the light in the background along with the wavy ness of the lobes of the leaf and the reticulation of veins in the leaf. That one is my favorite.

Dave

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's one. #1

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

another...The width that I have to use really didn't do justice to this shot #2

Thumbnail by melody
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I think both of those look pretty cool. I agree that the cropped version of the 2nd one doesn't do the original justice, but it still makes a nice looking banner.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

another #3

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's another.

Remember that the logo will go in the center and the edges will have the green fade out when it is all done. #4

Thumbnail by melody
Milford, DE

Well if I had to choose one of the pics. that Melody posted it would be the small yellow leaved one.

David

Do you have any pictures of Tiny Tim, or a Yatsubusa of some kind. Seeing how the banner is going to look I would have to think that a maple with a very small leaf would do. Maybe one of the witchbrooms with red colors. I say the witchbrooms because you always have the center lobe that offers the blunt round lobe and the rest of the lobes or pointed.

Or maybe one of the Hagoromo varieties that should add some conversation.

Even Acer palmatum 'Kurui jishi' now that would be a great leaft to show.

Maybe the one of Acer palmatum 'Shishi yatsubusa'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/186178/

Dave

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 7:54 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Something from a bit of a distance would work too...not so far away that you can't see the veins, but not a close-up shot.

Once she sees how they work up, I'm sure we'll have some more wonderful shots to choose from. I'll get them up so ya'll can see.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's the Hosta Forum banner: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/hostas/all/
Irises: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/iris/all/
And Roses: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/roses/all/

These will give you all a bit of an idea as to how the images will work up.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i really like the yellow one too - which jm is that? winter flame?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's another #5

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

And another #6

Thumbnail by melody
Milford, DE

Still the yellow one.

Dave

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

second'd

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I like the first yellow one best too. I like the second one too, but it looked better in the original picture vs the new width.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here are a few more #7

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Another one #8

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

One more #9

Thumbnail by melody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.