Is this Foxtail going to survive?

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Our latest fatality from this past winters harshness seemed to be our beautiful foxy. She started sprouting after the freeze but lost all foliage but two spears... one slightly open and one not open and brown. Recently, those spears wilted over. We thought the palm was a goner and were in the middle of mourning and trying to decide what to do (couldn't bring ourselves to cut down ANOTHER palm from freeze damage). Last weekend we went on a motorcycle ride and noticed a palm that had been cut at the crownshaft (?) in a diagonal manner. There was a frond growing up out of the cut line. My husband and I talked about it and decided, what do we have to lose?! So, chop! Off goes the top of our foxy... cut in a diagonal manner across the green crownshaft. Two days later, we have something growing out of the top of the palm! Will it survive? Will it ever be beautiful again? We don't know! I had never seen anyone talking about this as a solution to a palm that appeared dead. Anyone else heard of this?

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Another pic...

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

don't give up all hope, but sure doesn't look good... I would pour some antifungal down into that swirl of leaves making up the crownshaft and hope for the best. Do NOT put any tap water down in there, though (other than what was used to dilute the antifungal gunk).

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok will do! I had done that after the freeze was over but I doubt it made it down that far as it was difficult to get any in it seemed. Thanks! I'll post updated pics. The initial growth seems to have stopped... not a good sign.

Gainesville, FL

I have a small kinda rare understory palm in my greenhouse that did the same (Chamie 'Awa'). I thought it was done for. The central palm plant which was about 3 ft tall lost all its fronds to cold...total defoliation. The smaller pups around the base, which I guess were more protected, were still green. I pulled the central (and only frond standing) out of the center of the bigger plant and thought, well that's it! Deader. But in the interest of trying to protect the clump, I sprinkled a ton of cinnamon down the crownshaft of the larger stalk. I now have a new leaf emerging from that crownshaft! I thinks its gonna recover. A little fungicide (natural or otherwise) might go a long way in these cases

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Goth... do you have a picture of that? Would love to see it. I haven't heard of cinnamon as a fungicide. We have a couple that I thought were gone from last year but recently noticed new leaves (tiny tiny). Would like to know if the cinnamon might help? Also, because of another thread regarding cold weather and fungus as well as contamination, I've pulled all my small palms out from under where they would be receiving water from the sprinklers and have them where they will only be watered by hand.

Gainesville, FL

I miscalled it a Chamaedorea, its actually a Calyptrocalyx. I didn't take a photo of it when I did that, sorry

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

My foxy is putting out a couple of fronds. Need to take a pic but my camera is broke... will work on getting one posted.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's the updated pic! The palm started out with NO fronds. The two stalks that remained post freeze wilted over. We cut the crownshaft and now look what we have! It's not pretty yet.... but there's still hope!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.