You know you are getting older ... (strangly garden-related)

Clinton Township, MI(Zone 5b)

OK, so this off the garden topic, but it is strangly garden related and has been a real blow to my ego!

With all the rain we have had lately, my tomato plants looked healthy, but were not growing. I pulled up a plant, sure enough, root rot. Still wanting to grow some 'maters, I went to my favorite local, independent greenhouse (Hessell's) for some replacement plants.

When I got to the register, the young girl at the register asked me if I was eligible for the, choke, 'senior discount.' The Hessell's senior discount starts at age 60. I am 45! The look on my face must have been priceless since she immediately (red-faced) said, "I have to ask everyone that!" Lets face it, that just makes the situation worse!

There are certain time in life when you know you are aging - the first time you are not carded for alcohol, the first time you are called 'ma'am' or 'sir,' and now I know, the first time you are asked if you are eligible for the 'senior discount!'

Anyone else have a 'getting older' story to share? It will help with my latest ego blow to know I am not alone, and maybe we can share some laughs!!!!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

OK first off I can't imagine you looking 60 at 45.... cause I'm 45 and that really worries me next time I'm in there! ;)
My husband and I went to dinner sat. night she let me get the "senior discount" I just can't eat all that food ;)
I felt special LOL LOL :) :)

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Sigh. It doesn't get better. I keep telling myself I get "ma'amed" because I'm in the South....
I don't look THAT bad, do I? I get the senior question (I'm 56,so I suppose that's close enough,but I don't FEEL 56) and the "we ask everyone" and I don't believe it, either. I DO believe it when they "proof" me. I also remember being Irate when I was carded at 30.
Those were the days....

Then again, I now like the natural "ash blond", and my manner of dress hasn't changed, my hair is still long, and I don't use make-up normally, so that may all explain why I get asked. I guess I'm just one of those odd old hippies that still live in the past.....

I like it here *G*

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Same here.... I just love that "hippie" term... and your not old lol 56 is young still... I don't think of old till your 83 or something like that :)

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

dethoe, "I" don't think I'm old, either. It's just that everyone else seems to....

Now my Mom is 92, and I don't even see _her_ as old. She is amazingly healthy, and just keeps going, has far more "activities"than I do.

Which is probably why she doesn't seem old to me:)

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I live off of 25 mile in between Romeo Plank and Hayes...there are farms east of me off of 25 mile "still" :) and there is a very old gentleman that tends his farm he has to be in his 90's it is not a small farm either... it just melts my heart to see him out there and active at his age... it's just wonderful!!!! I wanna be just like him when I grow up ;)

Kalamazoo, MI

Off the message, but . . .

http://www.laferle.com/

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

That was heart warming Kristi ;)

Kalamazoo, MI

I posted this yesterday because of the gardening article. Today it's about Cindy's dad, and yes, Delane, it was heartwarming. Cindy was a freshman roommate of mine at Oakland U. and I did have the pleasure of meeting her father. He was as she has written.

Thanks for the comments (and very heart-warming link)! I have recovered from my ego-blowing experience after regaling my story to my Mom and sister. Mom reminded me of my first 'senior moment' about 5 years ago. Mom and I were regulars at a local golf course. Mom always got the senior discount, while I paid full price. One time, I asked the man at the pro shop if I could get the senior discount, too. I told him I was a senior twice, once in high school and once in college. He laughed so hard he gave me the senior discount for the rest of the season!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Ha! good one Zinnia... Roflmbo ^_^

I meant to add to my previous post that there are some benefits to getting older! However; if I ever start taking zip-lock baggies to restaurants so I can take the remains of the bread basket home, shoot me.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

omgosh I will .... LOL ;) we have many years ahead of us until that is remotely allowed :) :) :)

detheo, we are obivously online at the same time! I, in turn, will make sure you don't become a member of the 'zip-lock baggie brigade' before your time, either!!!!!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Hm. Guess this is not the place to discuss baggie dining. I always ask first...

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

As a Senior,(64), and thanks to good genes, I still have to show my ID when I ask for the senior discount, but I know there will come a day when that won't happen. i am a student at out local college and anm mistaken for one of the faculty all of the time.
However, as a avid gardner, I know just how old I really am, the ground seems to get further away every year.
P.S. I like toe twice "Senior" idea................

Port Sanilac, MI

The first time I was asked the dreaded senior discount question, I was 50 and they asked me if I wanted the senior menu when I came in the restaurant. It ruined my entire meal and entire day! I threw out that dress as soon as I got home! I complained to the manager and they didn't seem to care. I complained to lots of people and none of them seemed to think I should have been upset. Glad to hear someone else thinks the way I did. I really never thought of myself as vain about my age so I don't feel I was overly sensitive. But, I did decide that if anyone else asked, I would say "Hell,yes" and take that discount! No longer a problem, I"m 72

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.