Walkway design 'rules'

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi
As crazy as I know I may seem in this 90+ degree weather with humidity that is insane...... I just bought two tons of flagstone. I went to Southern States nursery to find a few 'Stepables.' I came away with NO 'Stepables' (can't abide thyme and the sedum is dessert for the deer and that is all the shop had in inventory.) Then I passed that pallet of rock..... Anyway, I bought a ton of rock and then because there was such a deal for the second ton...I got another... (Of course there was a great deal..inventory time is coming and how can the nursery unload rock if not to crazy people with pickup trucks looking for Stepables...anyway...) I am laying a path through the garden. I know how to prep the site..dig it out...level...etc. etc. But is there a 'rule' about how to lay the rock with regard to pattern?? The stones are irregular shaped.. about 3-4 inches thick and softened at the edges... a little flakey at the top... very natural typical flagstone. I guess the largest sized are 18 - 25 at the widest point. Small are perhaps 6-8 inches and there are medium sizes between those two.

Should I place the largest sized down the middle of the planned path and fill in to the right and left of those large stones with a mix of the other two sizes? Or, should I place the largest stones totally along one side of the path and use the medium and small to fill along the other side? Or, large stone placed and then a mix of small and medium ...and then another large and then small medium etc. etc. What do you think works best? I definitely want the larger sized stones to visually 'lead the way.' Thanks for your thoughts

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!