Peppermint Plant Invasion - How to Stop??

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

My neighbor has a thick, lush peppermint patch that is side-by-side with my yard. The peppermint plant runners are invading my garden and I'm constantly pulling these tough long stems. They are quite difficult to pull out. I thought of separating my area and my neighbor's with plastic sheeting that would go into the ground vertically, but it is my understanding that these runners are so vigorous they can actually crack pots/containers. Any Ideas on how to stop the invasion??? Thanks, Snug, :o/

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Actually, the roots don't go that deep. If you can drive something into the ground - metal bed edging might work or perhaps a heavy grade flashing - that will go down about 5-6 inches and above ground enough to block anything coming over the soil, you can block the roots. I don't think plastic would work. And make sure you dig up every eensy bit of root from your side or you'll still have oodles of it. You may still have problems from the stuff self sowing but not nearly as much as from the roots. If you use flashing, be sure to bend over the top lip a bit so no one will get cut on it.

You could also dig a trench 5-6 inches deep, line that with something sturdy that won't break or split.

Real question is why anyone would plant something that spreads as voraciously as mint right on the property line. sheesh

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you for your helpful advice Hart. Digging a trench sounds good -- perhaps I can place some nonpourous stone cut and apply them vertically into the soil -- it's only about three/four feet of vertical space.

Why would a neighbor plant these so close to the property line? Short answer is I don't know for sure, but have hunches. These neighbors are not living next door any more, and the new ones are too busy with small children to be concerned. In any event, my bad back demands that I do something to prevent the runners from spreading to my area. Thanks Again, Snug, :o)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I agree with Diane, if you trench with a pick or such and put in a continuous 6" metal edge of some sort you should stop it. I don't think anything stone will work short of a concrete curb. LOL Ric

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Snug, have you considered asking the neighbors if they'd mind if you removed it? Might need to use something like poison ivy killer as well as digging if it's a large clump but it doesn't sound like they'd care. Maybe you could offer to give them some spares of your nicer plants to put in its place.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

You may need to resort to using Roundup. It is impossible to pull and not leave fresh starts in place. I did just this on two occasions when vinegar did nothing.

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you for all your input! Hart, you recommended that we offer to help remove the runners for my neighbors. Hubby and I often did these favors in the past, however, for now the short answer is, no -- as it would not be prudent for us to remove their runners -- hubby and I are both senior citizens and our new neighbors have a "significant" amount (c. 10 ft.) of peppermint plants to pull -- weeding our own garden comes at a physical cost to us now. Our neighbors are young - in their 20s and are more physically capable than us.

Not everyone is motivated to maintain a tidy garden like those on Dave's. :o) For now I'll try what I can - Roundup may help, however, I wouldn't want to damage the good plants that are already in place. Thanks Again, Snug, :o)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Why not consider a few large pots to contain the roots and retain the plants you feel you need. Then attack the wild running herb peppermint in the manor you choose. It took me several years after I went to pot growing to clean up the fence row growth of peppermint. Several years of poison to get the roots. Since that time I have not used any Roundup except for a small outbreaking of poison ivy and another of nettles.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.