ID please

Sumter, SC

Bought this out of zone palm several years ago. Fronds are very serrated.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Keaau, HI

It is Pandanus utilis of Madagascar.

Not a Palm, it is the red spined Screwpine.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2010 3:14 AM

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Best of luck, Donna. Last winter killed both of mine here in Tampa and I had them covered.

Jim

Sumter, SC

I bought this plant from a big box store a few years ago. It was Oct, the price was slashed, and it was an impulse purchase. I had no idea it was a tree! Wonder who decided this was an appropriate tree to market in central SC. I would give it to a friend in Sarasota, but if it couldn't survive in Tampa, I don't think it would survive there either. Oh well, just another out of zone monstrosity that will continue to spend winter in my crowded GH. Bummer.

noonamah, Australia

If you cut Pandanus off they'll sprout again from the base. You could keep it smaller that way. In fact, they're hard to get rid of. I've got them all over my place and cutting them off won't hurt them. I have to dig the whole plant out and leave it in the sun to dry before it will die.

Sumter, SC

Good to know, Tropic. I'm glad it's a tough tropical tree that I can manipulate, mutilate, and occasionally ignore. I'm thinking bonsai inspired treatment. It gets minimal water this time of year because it's located very far from a water source, and I don't go on long treks carrying water when the heat index exceeds 105f. Hope you're enjoying pleasant southerly breezes.

noonamah, Australia

Donna, I've got 6 Pandanus at present:

P. spiralis,
P. aquaticus,
P. basedowi
P. tectorius,
P. dubius,
P. NOID with striped variegation.

The weather's reasonable here for being almost middle of winter. The wind/breeze is north east to east. Today's maximum temperature was 33C (91.4F). Generally it's a couple of degrees either side of that.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

In general, pandanus are not super drought tolerant so careful if you bonsai... that may require 1-2x a day watering... a lapse may end up in a dead plant.

Sumter, SC

Thanks, palmbob. So far my pandanus has withstood lots of mid summer neglect. I don't buy marginal plants anymore without checking out Davesgarden. I do wish folks would not state that a plant grows in their area if it's wintered indoors or if it's a houseplant! When it comes to cold hardiness, the regional forums are a great resource.

noonamah, Australia

I don't know specifically for Pandanus utilis, but some Pandanus are extremely drought tolerant. Both P. spiralis and P. basedowi are very much so. I cut off one of the large P. dubius a few months ago, threw it aside, and it's still very green and not showing any signs of dying off. Despite it's name, P. aquaticus can also withstand a fair length of time left dry.

Sumter, SC

Thanks for the info, Tropic. I must have a variety that can handle neglect, especially since it's potted and receives only sporadic watering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.