Wild Berries

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am waiting on these wild berries to get ripe. I have no idea what they are called and was hoping someone here might know. The locals say the red husks will peel back when they are ripe to reveal a yellow berry that looks like a raspberry and is very sweet.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Greensburg, PA

Leaves do look like a member of the raspberry family, but do not recognize. I am also interested in learning what this is. How do the plants grow and how big do they get?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They are nearly as high as the roof on the garage and they cover the area behind it. They are next to the creek bank. I have no idea how old the canes are as i just moved here last summer.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

We have them here, too, but the berries are red. They taste just like a red raspberry, maybe sweeter. They come in the same time as blackberries, just after the raspberries finish.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Ours turned ou to be red also. Found out they are Japanese Wine berries. Delish!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Yep, just found a page that stated they were a "wine berry"... cool history, too: http://www.blindpigandtheacorn.com/blind_pig_the_acorn/2010/06/wild-berries-that-grow-in-the-southern-highlands-of-appalachia.html

I had never heard of them, and until you mentioned them, I didn't question them as anything but red raspberries, lol.
Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.