CLOSED: NEW Contest to win seeds and plants- NAME THE FOLD CONTEST!

This contest is to find a name for Mechelle T's new Foal.
The picture will be posted later so be thinking of names.
This contest starts with the picture being posted later tonight, and ends June 13th at 6:00pm eastern time.
Here are the seeds and plants she is GIVING to who ever finds the best name for her baby horse.
SEEDS:
Red Cypress vine
Mixed Hollyhock
Texas White Star Hibiscus
Pink Mimosa( silk tree)
Canna- Indica Flambe
Formosan Lily- nice big bag full from her garden
Cosmos- sea shell mixed colors- comm pack
Bachelor Button- Polka Dot mixed colors- comm pack
Columbine
Lavender Lady- comm pack
Dusty Miller- comm pack
Wild Flower Mixture- contains:
blue flax, nasturtium, babys breath, four O clocks, dwarf coneflower, cosmos, california poppy, sweet william, candy tuft, evening primrose, coreopsis, siberian wallflower, blackeyed susan, calendula, scarlet flax, corn poppy, plains corepopsis
this package of seeds will cover a 100 square foot garden.

Plants:
Blue Spruce Sedum
3 NOID Daylily fans
3 NOID TB IRIS Rhyzomes
3 NOID La Iris Rhyzomes

When I post again and add the picture you may start posting with names of what you want to submit as the winning name. Please only make ONE POST and edit to add more names or change the name or make comments PLEASE. ON June 13th MECHELLE T will pick the winning name and you will be notified by 6:30 pm eastern time who the winner is.
Good luck to all who enter and start thinking of possible names!
I will be back shortly with the picture of the Foal to name.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 9:31 PM

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hello Everybody!
Here is a picture of the little guy I need help naming. He foaled on May 22, 2010. He is solid black with a little bit of white on his chin.
He's VERY spunky and rambunctious. He's a smart little guy.. already has a halter on and I have lead him around his pasture several times now.
If I choose the name you have suggested, you will win the seeds and plants listed above.

Thank you and Good Luck!

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Lake Charles, LA

He's so adorable. A halter already, wow!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I guess "Lucy's Midnight Snack" is outta the question??? ;)

Lake Charles, LA

Well, I did think of Midnight.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

:-0 Cue!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

That's a good one , Angela!

Booneville, AR

mechells star

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I had a cat named Licorice who was all black with a white spot on his neck. he was smart and full of mischief also. His favorite toy was metal sewing bobbins, he liked to take them into the bat tub and roll them back and forth in the middle of the night. He figured out how to open my sewing cabinet drawer to remove them. I also had to close him in a bedroom and hear him trying, sometimes successfully, to open the doorknob whenever I cleaned raw shrimp. He was usually, just cuddly and good company. He was really special, I miss him.

How about Carbonado? It is a black diamond.

(Becky) Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful I grew up with horses and I miss them so much!
The names of the horses we had where

Tea for the Tillerman
Delta Dawn
Starfire
Whispering willow
Summertime and the living's easy
Desparado
Obsidian
Swift wind after She-Ra 's horse :)
I could ride a horse before I was 3 I wish we had the $ to own one now but for now I will enjoy your lovely pics.

May born how about Gemini

This message was edited Jun 7, 2010 2:44 PM

This message was edited Jun 11, 2010 10:35 AM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2010 12:18 PM

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

ok.. how about 'Kahlua'?

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Interesting Suggestions ;-) Keep 'em coming!

Cherry Valley, IL(Zone 5a)

Whenever I see all black horses I always think of Ichabod's horses name in sleepy hollow -- Gunpowder.

:)

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

I like Ebony. Annette

Mechelle, what are the parents names? That might help picking names also.

Lake Charles, LA

Black Velvet

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I like that one, pacman!

Well, the parents I haven't really officially named yet. These were rescue horses and at first I wasn't sure if we were going to keep them for long. The mare was already in foal. Kind of like a stray animal, if you name it, you end up having to keep it. They were owned by the sweetest little old man named Joe who has become like a Grandpa to me and he couldn't take care of them anymore. He's 82, his wife of 63 years just passed away and horses are just too much work. They were starting to look bad and he asked if we would buy them and I kept saying No, I can't- I already had 5 of my own horses as I feared my DH would be really mad if I did. Well, My Dh suggested we get them because he liked the stallion. Go figure, so we did! They're still right by Joe's house where he can see them and occasionally he buys sweet feed and goes out and talks to them. Sweet, huh?

I had unofficially named the mare Cheyanne, after a neighbors dog . The mare has one blue eye and one brown eye and is a dark brown color. The dog also had one blue and one brown eye and was the same color as her. Well, the neighbor had to have her dog put down so I had to "un-name" the mare. We were always taught that it's bad luck to name an animal after one that you had before or that passed away. So.. The sire (male parent) I had thought of calling him Apache, but Indian names are more for paint horses, as DH pointed out. He is what you call a grey. A grey has white hair but grey skin underneath. A grey is born with a color and over time, the hair changes to white. Usually by the time they are 10. So, there is a good chance that the little colt may eventually be a grey.

Thanks everyone!
Hope that helps!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

":Oreo"

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Michelle, What about Ebonys Tide.

Edited to say:
Look at the Header on this. LOL Mekos I am not making fun of you but it just struck me funny. I thought I was going to fall out of my chair laughing.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2010 2:32 PM

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I would name the mare with two different colored eyes "Bowie" or "Ziggy" or "Stardust" after David Bowie who also has two different colored eyes.

Your colt's descriptions sounds like Black Beauty from the children's book.

If he may turn grey, you might want to name it something like Superstition, Smokey.

If he is a bit of a troublemaker, you may want to name him Houdini, Sweet Revenge, Black Knight.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I like Oreo, Cue that's cute

Elk Horn, KY

'dark temptation'. 'chocolate bits'.

Lake Charles, LA

I like those cz. What about Chocolate Bliss?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

'Mocha'

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Mechelle, maybe you already named him with your description. Why not Spunky?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

lol.. name him 'Spot'

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

This will be a tough one! He is adorable! And a lot of good names so far, so I'll have to put my thinking cap on for this one!
Edited to add a couple of name choices.

Blackhawk,
Domino (obviously an ace, since he only has one spot, tee hee)
Stymie (after the little black kid in the Little Rascals)
VooDoo,
Licorice
Shades of Grey
Smoke Rings
Smoke Signal
Silver Bullet
Gunsmoke
Steely Gaze
Night Rider
Black Powder
Eight Ball
Prince of Darkness

Oh my! The possibilities are endless. Or you could name him after the older guy from next door that you got him from!

This message was edited Jun 7, 2010 3:26 PM

This message was edited Jun 8, 2010 7:51 PM

This message was edited Jun 8, 2010 8:11 PM

OK with the jokes up there..... I started this thread 3-4 times and everytime I hit send, it went to cyber space and I was really frustrated and tired so I got going fast trying to get er done! That was a slip of the tongue. My mind was hurting. I tried to correct it but you can't correct the header. Thank you for NOT laughing at me.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

It's OK friend - if it really bothers you Admin can correct the thread title. Personally, I think it's cute and will get people to open the thread don't you think?

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Garden.. your name suggestion for the mare is cute. My best friend would love that because she is a huge Bowie fan!
So far there is one suggestion that I like a lot and one suggestion that part of the name gave me an idea of another name I really like.

My other horses are registered so they have the long names. Lil' Doc Hollywood (aka Hollywood), Good N Fancy (aka Fancy) , Fancy Lil' Hollywood(aka Holly) Hollywood's Fancy Scarlett (aka Scarlett) Betty Lou's on Fire (aka Betty Lou) .. So since these 3 aren't registered, that makes it easier. We can just come up with one name that works for him. A name I liked that would have fit him perfect was "Pepper".
That won't work though cause again, someone's dog I knew was killed by a pitbull named Pepper, so yeah, scratch that one.

Keep the names coming !

Lake Charles, LA

Midnight Thunder
Shadow Past Midnight
Midnight Temptation

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Mechelle's Thunder Or Thunder Rolls

By Tha Sarg.

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

ok.. so here are my suggestions so far...

Kahlua
Oreo
Mocha
Zephyr
8-Ball
Diablo
Dante
Salsa
Sultan
Santana
Gemini
Vegas
Tango
Tuxedo
Zues

ok.. those are my contributions...lol

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Very Nice list Cue ;-) Makes it easier to see your names all together..

Thank you Sarg and Angela.. will keep those in mind..

Lake Charles, LA

Shadows in the Wind

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Apache's night
black thunder
black satin
majestic in black
midnight grey
fire ashes
Apache's storm cloud
Apache's storm

This message was edited Jun 7, 2010 10:34 PM

adding
storms of change
thunder clouds
apache's thunder

This message was edited Jun 12, 2010 4:01 PM

Lake Charles, LA

Winds of Change
Winds of Midnight
Winds of Thunder
Diamonds on Velvet (diamond for the white)

I sure like Midnight and Thunder, don't I?

Lake Charles, LA

Cue, Tuxedo is cute.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, what a beautiful boy. :)

My suggestions:

Apollo
Crackerjack
Taco (I have no idea where that came from... LOL)
Nigel (From the Latin name Nigellus- means "Black")
Raven
Fenix (or Phoenix)
Orpheus (Greek- means "darkness")

(edited to add)

Gandalf! :D

This message was edited Jun 8, 2010 9:04 PM

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Mechelle T, isn’t Middleton, TN part of the 278th Armored Cav Regiment

In Honor if the Unit you could Name it “Hitten-em Hard” for the 278th

Sarg

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.