Using Tools & My Girls!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

jannz2 I have that one, and you will be sorry if you build it.
#1. you can't get in to catch anyone, or gather eggs.
#2 every time you do get in, you will come out bloody with cuts all over.
#3. don't wear a good coat or jacket, it will get torn.
#4 small chickens/chicks can escape.

It is a great idea, and is ideal living conditions for the chickens, but torture to the owner!

Haystack that is a great brooder.. but I worry about ventilation when the solid lid is closed.. especially with a light.?? Maby I read too fast, but I don't see any ventilation with a solid lid..?? Other than that, I think it's an amazing idea and goood job!!!

Ferndale, WA

Hi ZZ's, great point you made. I should have explained better or taken better pic's. The solid top is built to extend about four inches over the front of the brooder and the legs are approx a quarter inch above the brooder box leaving the lid about 1/4 inch above the box all the way around making lots of air space. I did a lousy job of explaining and taking pic's...Hay Here is my last brooder, it is designed for children to be able to view through the glass window and not disturb the babies... I just try different things to keep me busy and create new ideas...not great, but fun to try and build...

Thumbnail by Haystack
Ferndale, WA

Here it is with the lights on.

Thumbnail by Haystack
Richmond, TX

Clever! How did you bend the plywood and mount the glass?

Ferndale, WA

Hi Porkpal, The floor is a 3/4 inch plywood, the front is also 3/4 inch plywood and is recessed using a router. That is important for good stability. The glass was a piece I had and cut to fit then laid in with a very thin layer of gorilla glue. Because of the stability of the front and bottom I was able to use fiber board to form the circular part and just staple it to the floor and front. The thickness and strength of the floor and front allowed me to put legs on it. The round part is still very sturdy even though it is just fiber board, and remember it will only house seramas. It will house 25 chicks until they are six weeks old...Hay

Thumbnail by Haystack

georgous tree Hay !
and can you come build me on of them brooders pwetty pwease LOL
Annie would laying tiles work in that area near the coop ?

Richmond, TX

Your own design? Very imaginative.

(Zone 5b)

Beautiful tree, Hay! What kind is it?

Sue, by tiles to you mean a drain? Remember I just leaned to use a hammer and nails so don't understand LOL. The guy to come look at the coop for a drain still hasn't been here yet. I need to call him today and remind him. At least it hasn't rained in 2 days so that is nice.

Ferndale, WA

Hi Annie, the tree is a "Firechief dogwood". Annie I just ordered two twilight Crape Myrtles. I can't wait to get them and plant them. I also ordered a Pink Velour crape myrtle. I have never seen a crape myrtle before and they are stunning. Google them and tell me what you think. I fell in love with them, especially the twlight...brilliant colors make me feel alive...I need color...LOL.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Hay, we have a lovely crape myrtle in our yard. It's a blaze of color. The only problem with it is that it blooms in late summer, and when we see it we know that fall is just around the corner and summer is coming to an end.

(Zone 5b)

It's a beautiful tree, Hay! I'm with you, never met a Myrtle that I didn't want to dig up and take home. Too bad they die here, I planted three so far and all died. Too much sun, wind and clay soil maybe? Send pics of your new Crape Myrtles when you can!

Annie

Richmond, TX

We have several very large Crape Myrtles. They thrive here, and this is an especially good year for them. Ours - or some of ours - bloom all summer.

Ferndale, WA

WOW, I have never even heard of them before. I bought several maples from FTG, and decided I liked their nursery and googled their trees of color and the crape myrtle's came up and when I saw the twlight variety I just knew I had to have some...LOL their flowers last from seventy - 120 days. At least thats what they say. I'm glad to know some of you have them and would love to see pic's and infor, along with opinions on them. We have tons of greens around here but I need some different colors besides green. we have five acres with a deep creek runing through it and lots of trees on both sides of the creek. We have two beautiful dogwoods, one red and one white, along with several flowering cherry trees, but the purple of the myrtle will be a stark change and make my eyes very happy...I need happy eyes...I'd love to see your trees...Hay

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I'll try to take a picture of mine when it blooms, but it won't for a while now.

Richmond, TX

Our Crape Myrtles;

Thumbnail by porkpal
Richmond, TX

Also in colors:

They like it hot and humid.

Thumbnail by porkpal
(Zone 6b)

So beautiful. You are blessed!

Ferndale, WA

Greenhouse, that would be excellent, I can't wait, they are stunning I think.

Porkpal, those are huge, did you plant these yourself and how long have you had them? They are amazing. I love a beautiful tree. That red is drop dead gorgeous. We have been working on the property all day yesterday and today both. Finally getting things the way we both wanted.

Richmond, TX

The white trees are about twenty years old. The red one is only about ten and is now fifteen feet tall. They were all planted as fifteen gallon size. We also have a true red, several shades of pink and a couple of purplish ones. I like them as they require no care and look great all summer - and their colors coordinate well with chickens, of course.

Ferndale, WA

Porkpal, thank you so much for sharing your trees and information. I can't believe you have been holding out on us all this time...those are some of the prettiest trees I have ever seen...thanks again...My eyes are dancing...Hay

Annie yes a drain.
don't worry i just learned it too. :)

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Goodness I just love these old threads... NO chicken tractor for me, I built a full blown chicken coop.. Got to get pictures on them this weekend... Oh in May my sister gifted me a electric drill.... Its Rocks...

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I am glad this was bumped up. I am clueless in the tools departement and don't really WANT to learen LOL!

Annie- I just love the pictures of your girls. I had been wondering what your Easter Eggers looked like so now I know. They are really pretty. Personally, I just love the looks of Easter Eggers. They usually turn out to be such pretty chickens. And I didn't know you even had a rooster.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Ok here is Chicken town, built to but up to the arena. The one on the right side is called Memorial Day built on that holiday weekend and the one on the left is 4th of July (again built on that weekend) the only thing that was there was the railroad ties that were stuck in the ground from an old cattle return. I had help with the one on the right, but Proudly built the one on the left all by myself using scrap wood and pallets. I did by some new wood for the door, but most of the wood was donated to me.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Here is another side
Power tools are my friends... WHOO HOOO

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 2:12 PM

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

My latest free standing banana annex

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

The babies and the birds that need special attention reside there,.

Thumbnail by MissJestr

that is one nice coop MissJ

(Zone 5b)

That's a great set up you have there, a place for everyone. I'll take the horses!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

It fits the old time theme that is all around my place... LOL Its home to us... Iam trying to find some old pictures of what it looked like before.

(Zone 5b)

The grass boxes were finally completed after weeks of procrastinating and ruining boards. I ended up using some zip ties just because they're such handy things and I like them. I made three of them but have only used one so far, wanted to see if they would work or not. They are made from 2x6x10 - finished size is 2 x 6 x 5 - covered with wire.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

In the coop, the Girl's were trying to decide if they approved or not. Our soil is clay and rock. There is a layer of potting soil with field grass seed on top.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

Yup, it works. It even gets regular fertilizing!

(Zone 5b)

Forgot the pic.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
Richmond, TX

Clever idea.

(Zone 5b)

You're the one that gave me the name (grass boxes) for the contraption, thank you again! I may try to set up one more, but it's getting pretty late in the year, brrr.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

That is a really neat idea :-))

Richmond, TX

I meant the design was clever not the name.

sweeeeet work Annie

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Annie, Billy and I using our tools built a nesting home Saturday and a coop on Sunday.. Note to self, when building a nesting home, build it close to where it is going as it does get really heavy when it is together... Had to transport it in the back of the pickup down to the chicken area and maneuver it in the pen, I measured the door of the pen before I built it so I knew it would go thru.. I prayed for some visitors to come by when I was unloading it, lol they came 5 minutes after I had it down and moved in the pen... Will post pictures tomorrow..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.