A few NOID japanese iris and some mistagged

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

yes, that's beautiful Mittsy

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely picture!

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

This is one of the JI's I would like to have a good pic of. Tropical Storm listed as having 9 to 12 falls. This one is so limp from rain I couldn't count them but there are a lot of them. There is plenty of reblooming time so I may get lucky.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It does look a little rain drenched, but it is still a beautiful picture of a beautiful iris.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I have a clump of I.versicolor growing next to a Siberian Mittsy had sent to me. The versicolor has a swelling seed pod I left for possible seeds after cutting off all the others. Is it possible they could hybridize or is it more likely it is a self-pollinated pod?

Edited to correct a bad keystroke.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2010 7:46 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It's very unlikely siberian and versicolor could cross. I'm sure you know beardless irises are catogorized in series. Siberians are in series Sibiricae, and cross with others in that series, typhifolia, and sanguinea. Versicolor is in series Laevigatae, and cross with other irises in that series, like ensata, pseudacorus, etc.

Normally seeds from a versicolor are easy to grow. i would try planting them out and see what you get. Should be interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.