A few NOID japanese iris and some mistagged

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Would love to have some help iding these if possible.

This was labeled as Fortune Japanese iris but Fortune on the net is white #1

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 11:27 AM

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

another no id #2

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 11:27 AM

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

#3 this is the same iris as #2 a diff day it changes a little in color

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

#4 this one was given to me as geisha girl, I'm thinking it's wrong too

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

#6 This iris is the same as #5 but this is a few days old and the blueish turns whiter with age.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

This is #7 This iris came up in the same clump of Pink Dimity , now pink dimity is a different iris than this, so I planted pink dimity in a hole where I thought the previous japanese iris died maybe this is that previous iris coming bck up. It's a beauty !!!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

This is pink dimity, and it's attched to the # 7 you know how the japanese iris grows in a circle? well, this is in the same circle as #7 so odd

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

And # 8 another no Id I had tags on these once, and might be able to remember getting a particular iris if the name is mentioned, like Butterflies in flight, someone mentioned one of them looked like that one, and I did bring in that japanese iris once, but it's not labeled as that now.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Bet you knew I would jump in here.

There is no such iris as Fortune or Geisha Girl, so who knows what you would get with those. They are sold all over the net, and I know of one person here on DG who trades Fortune. Here's what I put about Fortune in the Plantfiles.

Negative pollyk On May 17, 2009, pollyk from Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

While the pictures posted are lovely, this is not a registered iris. There has been a big influx of irises from Dutch growers in recent years that were purchased as cast off seedlings from Japanese iris growers in Japan. These irises were given names such as Fortune, Imperial Magic, Pink Lady, etc. Most are different forms, some nice, some not. These are not sold by true iris growers, but by the businesses that sell everything and just give it any name. Do not trade or pass along this iris as Fortune.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

#8 does look like Butterflies In Flight. No clue on the rest, but #7 is lovely.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, I sure didn't know that, who ever sent it to me I could have sworn it was sent as fortune LOL go figure.

I appreciate the help. any clues on any of the others? I guess I'll just grow them as pretty unknowns LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Someone else told me #8 looked like butterflies in flight also thanks

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I'm sure it was sent to you as Fortune. It was sold a lot of places as that. Dutch Gardens for one. And I know the one person traded Fortune, or maybe even sold it, I'm not sure.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks I appreciate the help ladies.

#7 is a beauty isn't it. I can't believe it's in the same clump as pink dimity is .

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That just happened. Probably when someone sent you a division they clipped a piece of the other. Believe me, it's easy to do.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I know that for sure. LOL it's awesome. one of the prettiest ones I have LOL wish I knew the name

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

For comparison to your pink dimity, this is Ensata's Pink Puffer.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pink Puffer is a beauty.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That is a lovely iris

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think your picture, Jerry, is even nicer than the one on Ensatas website, and that's saying a lot!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have to say that my camera takes horrid pictures also, the pink dimity I have posted here is Real pink in real life and it looks somewhat purple here. I need to get a new camera, Ihate it when it turns purple irises blue in the photos too

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have trouble with purples and blues with mine.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

My camera is just a P&S 6 meg Fuji 6000fd. It has trouble with adding a pink tint to a lot of colors. I want a new Canon slr but my wife says too much money to take pictures of flowers and dead fish. Bright sunlight can affect colors so it is best to take pics either before or after the sun shines directly. My camera does better when I switch manually to high speed shooting and helps with any movement in the breeze.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

One of the more interesting varieties from Ensata. Classical Charm.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

UG your killin me, I want those two LOL that's beautiful!

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I purchased them from Ensata as a 10 piece collection for $39. They were chosen by Ensata, probably according to price and demand. They are still offering the same priced collections but would probably be different varieties. I think I saw Pink Puffer for $16 in their 2010 catalog so that one may not be offered as part of a discounted collection.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh my gosh, That's a BARGAIN! thanks so much is there a certain place on that web site that I need to go?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's Ensata Gardens mix. It's a good deal.

http://www.ensata.com/HTML/GeneralPages/specials.htm#Iris%20Collections

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks, you guys are such bad enablers. LOL But what are garden friends for . But to help other gardeners find a bargain!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I saw those collections and have them next on my list to purchase! I have an area that NEEDS the JI and SI to fill it up!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

OGR, I'm a photographer with lots of flowers and live fish. From my experience, night photos of flowers show the colors really well or dusk. The flash helps a lot. Use a filter or light disperser to soften the flash. Get back a couple of feet and put the lens on full optical zoom. Try it out.

For dead fish it probably works too.

If you can take pix in raw format, you can change the tone. Also, I've seen your peonies and other pix, and they look great. Why not look at your photos on another monitor?

When I previewed the post there was no head on my fish, so if it's headless, I apologize. I don't know how to change it.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I ordered the Japanese Iris collection from Ensata in 2008 and they sent me the following: Diomedes 20+, First Act 10+, Frosted Intrigue10, Frosted Plum (didn't make it through the winter), Graceful Dancer 10+, Greywoods Persian Dusk 20+, Gusto 20+, Jocasta 4, Prairie Twilight 20+, and Royal Game 6. The numbers indicate the number of individual stalks as of this week. They all received the same care as to watering and fertilizer. Planted in the same soil mixture. I do not plan to divide until next year. Some of them did not bloom last year so I am hoping for a good show in a few weeks. One of my my no ids.
Mittsy

Thumbnail by mittsy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The ones with 20 stalks should put on quite the show. Can't wait to see it!

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Cathy--I use a HD tv for my computer monitor which should be pretty accurate. My pc video card has 1080p output to connect to the tv. Most new quality cameras have a hdmi connection to connect directly to a HD tv for stills and video clips. I finally learned some of my color problems were not so much shades of color but excessive saturation. Normally I do not correct pictures except for faces which come out with an excessive skin tone. I take several pictures of the same flower under different conditions and pick out the best sample.

Mittsy--My collection bloomed nearly 50% the first year but I ordered it early and received it early. They are now growing like crazy the second year but, since it was a mixture of different types of JI's, some are more productive and taller than others. I made the mistake of planting them randomly instead of checking on their heights which can be corrected next year when they will require division. We are having a rainy period and the blossoms do not appear to have very good substance. They are mostly limp falls and do not last long. One of the dark blue/black ones holds up much better than some of the others which are predominately pastels.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2010 11:13 AM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Some of the JIs have very substantial blossoms, Jerry. It may mention that in the catalogue. Some of them are like tissue paper. But if t doesn't rain, the tissue papers ones are gorgeous.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I thought it was something like that. The mixture of multiple falls appear to be the least rugged to withstand rain and wind. Some have not bloomed yet but that is to be expected. I still think it was money well spent. A lot of people slow down and take a long look at them.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, I just sent in my payment for l0 of their japanese iris, if they send me the same l0 as they did you I'll only have one I already had LOL that would be nice!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

This year when my siberians started blooming, each day was like a special gift to see what new ones were opening. I tried to take pictures but really couldn't do them justice. I did get one picture of Rose Quest that is pretty good.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

That is beautiful Mittsy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.