What is happening in June on your homestead?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Coming from here ~ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093174/#new

Plans for my weekend are repairing the waterbed that has sprung a leak. I figured out how I will do it but hate to lose those tadpoles. They are great for mosquito control. Lots of tomatoes but none ripe yet.

What is going on on your homestead?

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey, All!

Nope...lots of noise, but only 1/2" of rain in 2 days. Had to start watering with the hose tonight.

I finally got my waterbed set up. I had Al make it 4' x 8', so I could put the 10 buckets of cherry tomatoes around the edges (they each have the large size 3 ring cages), then I put some ornamental bushes and small trees in the center until I decide where to plant them. I also finally got the eggplants planted in 4 big planters, 3 plants in each. They're about the size of 1/2 wine barrels, only a little shorter.

And I finally got most of the flower beds around the house weeded. I had planted 5 small rose bushes and 2 small peonies earlier this spring, but I think 4 of the roses didn't survive the weed invasion. I'll finish it up tomorrow, then back to weeding in the vegetable garden and putting out more seeds.

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Got an inch and a quarter in two days. Have a few red tomatoes already. Picking plums this morning and bottle digging later.

Northern, IN(Zone 5b)

A lurker thanks you for the new thread..!!

GoldenDomer ~ you are welcome but please... join in more often. It is always interesting to hear what is going on in other 'necks of the woods'.

Lizards_keep ~ Grrrr... on the fruits, vegies and rain! Bottle digging though, tell us about it?

MsRobin ~ you can't keep up that weeding pace. Do you have any pines in the area? If so, harvest the dead pine straw and use that for mulch in the flower beds at least. It won't harm the plants at all and does allow the moisture to get through it. Too bad on the rain, it is much easier to pull weeds from damp soil.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Hello everone , look like we are due for ,their clam 5 days of goo weather (no rain)bit cloudy (this is good) we have had quite a bit of rain for the last few month but not complaining the gardenis growing quite well the lord hes blesses me many times over with while putting it out.

The Sarg.

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Thought ya’ll knew we were small time relic hunters. I will explain later about the bottle digging, right now we are off to find some more qt. jars for these plums. Got 6 five gallon buckets, more or less, off one tree this morning.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

No pines heres. I usually use grass/hay clippings from when when Al mows the 3+ acres. It works well for me, but Al has to do some repair work to the bagger bracket. It takes a beating as much mulch as he bags.

We got rain this morning...all of 2 minutes worth. It's pretty cloudy today, so if I can't get some decent rain, at least it's reasonably cool.

Cajun, how's your potato bags doing? I had some I started in buckets awhile back and finally transferred them to the bags and there were lots of babies. We'll see how they grow now that they have plenty of room.

Lizard, pretty cool. I found a bunch in a dump pile we found on our property.

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

We usually don’t just hunt for bottles but always come up with some. We are looking for a pre civil war era train track at the moment. I think we are close but no cigar yet. Did find this neat bottle dump that has diverted our attention though. The picture is one of my favorites. It’s a McCormick KT-14 tri-corner poison bottle. Not that old but nice. Late 1800’s to early 1900’s McCormick sold laudanum in it. Laudanum is an opium/alcohol mixture that was used as a painkiller for just about everything. Only problem was just about everyone got addicted to the opium.

Thumbnail by lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok, time to brag a bit. Please over look the big head while i put on the dog. LOL Since you can only upload one image at a time we will start with my plum collection. These came off one tree.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Lizard,
Ok I can see jelly, jam , but my fav would be braken out the win maken stuff and maken some plum wine OOOwee I can taste it now ! after a few months of coarse lol

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Now to aggravate Pod a little, here are some maters that are about ready to pull. The ones we have already eaten were great.

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

This one gets picked tomorrow. Well the image is sideways and it won't let me change it.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 3:26 PM

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

lizard,

you know how to grow it in TX for sure Brother/Sister thats awesome mine are just getting started.lol i got a late state with the late snow we had.

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Greetings Sgt., things here are looking good at the moment but it won't be long before the heat will stew anything left on the vine. Waiting on the grapes to come in and see about some homemade hooch.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Dave has a site on here that will get you started and the net has a bunch of sites that have starter sets if you dont have any its fun to do .

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Here's your pic rotated. Nice lookin' crop!

Thumbnail by darius
Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you for fixing it. The poor trees lost a few limbs but should be ok. We have more plums than we can use but we will soon fix that. Lady down the road is going to trade us jelly for some of the plums so that will take a portion of them. We decided to try freezing the plums this year instead of canning to see how they come out. I'm sure none of them will go to waste.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Mmmm I love plums.

Here's my first 'crop' of Nanking Cherries, LOL. Actually, that's half the total crop, one of the other 2 also has a few fruit. They were planted just last year as 12" tall whips.

Thumbnail by darius
Richmond, TX

Pretty impressive growth!

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

I am like a lil Kid i can tast-em all ready he he eh if you was not looken . ~;)

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Here comes the rain and just got the first of the June Gold peaches off the trees. Hope it rains a bunch.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Darius, that's what my bushes did last year. This year they are lterally covered! Purple cherries produced lots last year, but not this year. I moved them this spring, though, so suspect that's the reason.

Still plugging along in the garden...weeding, tying up tomatoes, planting more seeds. Harvested peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, onions, potatoes, radishes, swiss chard and kohlrabi yesterday.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Pulled a few onions. Got cukes coming on. Saving seeds from broccoli. Strawberries are finished. :( Got some wild berries coming on. Don't know what they are called. Locals say the red husks will fold back and reveal yellow berries that look like raspberries. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Northern, IN

When you got yourself nothing better to do, go shoot yourself a 210 lb wild hog and heave it on the Barbie - "low and slow", as they say.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hubby would love to do that.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

domer that looks good

YUM!

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

What time should we be there?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I got 2, 300+lb hawgs that need to go to the slaughter. I'd like to sell the sow and put the male in the freezer.

Caj, how or what have they been fed? I am not supposed to eat any meat fed soy beans...

How much for half or a quarter the sow?

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

One & a half inch of rain yesterday and 1/4" today and the weed pulling is super easy! We knocked out about 10 rows with handpulling weeds and the 4 rows we used the cultivator.

And I have created a monster! Al is really getting into gardening. He looked up some bugs and treatments online, and plant growth habits, then planted a couple of beds today with beans and carrots.

Other than that, nothing new in my world....

Yum! Pork ~ it's what's for dinner! Looking good....

MsRobin ~ isn't it wonderful to have easy weed pulling. There is not much that is more rewarding than to look back over your shoulder and see those accomplishments.

I relined the water bed with no problem and scooped up lots of the wiggletails to move to the top layer. I wanted to keep them as they will eat mosquito larvae. Also found their Mama and moved her too. Only knocked one green mater off. Shouldn't be long before they turn and I dine. Been eating blueberries, green beans and cukes already. And savoring a tasty bunch of plums from a friend. I hope some day I will see just a portion of Lizards_keeps' plum crop. Really an excellent year apparently.

I added a couple more herbs here. Sweet Aztec herb and licorice verbena. That is a passion will never end... I am doomed.

Cajun ~ please let us know what your wild berries are. In fact, you might post a request on the Plant ID forum. I will be curious... pod

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't know how to work the plant ID thing. Do I have to look through all the plant pics in plant files?

Darius, they have only been fed scraps, sweet feed and whole corn. We are hoping to sell the sow on the hoof. We'd even give her away if we could get an agreement for a piglet in the spring. We cannot eat 600lbs of pork. LOL

I'm sorry, I should have posted the link ~ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/ ~ it is easy. Drop down to the bottom of that page and start a new topic. Be sure and post your photo. The people that frequent that forum are sharp on IDs and have always responded quickly. It never ceases to amaze me.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link, Pod. i just posted over there. I'll let you all know what i find out and i will post pics of the berries as they progress.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks like I have a Japanese Wineberry.

Excellent. It sounds like it is edible. I'll be interested in knowing how it tastes when you sample it. Pretty little plant, does it have thorns?

Caj, I picked some wineberries from down the road the first year I was here. Made a lovely jelly!

I'd take your sow if I had a pen. First though I want chickens & guineas, and then some kind of a milker. I have SO many projects planned for this summer, and they all exceed my energy and pocketbook. One project is a cold smoker so I can smoke my own bacon, sausage, trout, and even cheese... and eventually I want a cheese cave where I can age cheese made from my milker...

I shouldda started these things when I was 50 and not 70, LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.