Friends forever

Clarksville, MD

I call this one "Tree Hug"

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Riley..how stunning..is that Clematis "Arctic Queen"? Hard for me to tell without seeing the anthers...Lots of people are always asking questions on growing clematis up trees..would you like to share your expertise' with all?...any tips?...Thanks for sharing...Jeanne

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Riley,
Is there a fence piece or something attached to the side of the tree we can't see? Or is the clematis just clinging to the tree? Please share! That is lovely.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful.

Clarksville, MD

There is a small 18in tall plastic coated wire trellis on the other side. The roots were planted about a foot away from the tree with some extra potting soil, then mulch on top. I woven the clem onto the small trellis, planted in the spring the first year. The second year it grew about 3 to 4 foot and bloomed sparingly. This year it grew another 3ft. I take inch long staples, and using two pliers break them off one or two at a time. Then with a hammer I loosely "staple" the clematis to the tree in a few places. Leaving plenty of space for the vine to grow inside of the staple area. Last year I used about 2 and this year another two staples. I stapled the vine in two directions, thinking eventually it would encircle the tree and twine on itself. All of the vine is supported by the loose staples. I do not see the vine clinging to the tree on its own yet. I have only used fish fertilizer, once last spring and once this spring.

The tag broke off sometime last winter. Memory says it is an Artic Queen. But I was looking at photos and it may be a Duchess of Edinburgh. It has two types of blooms. Here you can see the triple blooms and the multi blooms. It has yellow anthers.

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

Here is a closeup of one of the multiblooms.

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

And the triple bloom. All on the same plant.

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

Just taken

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

When it is young, the flower has lots of green in it, which fades out as the flower opens.
Younger flowers have yellow anthers which change to cream.

Clarksville, MD

Here is Ruutel, which I planted last year.
Here you can easily see the staples.

Thumbnail by rileyobo
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, you did a great job. That is absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for explaining.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes Clematis "Duchess of Edinburg" will have the green showing like yours does..Also, lots of people question growing clematis in,around and up trees because of the dry soil from the trees using so much of the moisture..do you water often to alleviate that situation?..Also you can put green or brown bird netting around your tree for your clematis to climb..much less intrusive to the tree than constant stapling..thanks for sharing...Gorgeous clems...Jeanne

Clarksville, MD

The bird netting is a good idea. I will try that.

Planting near the tree line may well be a problem for many people.
I may have an unique situation.
I have no problem with water on the woods side of the house.
Half of the water from the house, comes thru the downspouts and then thru buried black pipe to the garden on that side of the house. The only time I water the garden there is in August. Since I am on well water, I have to be careful with my water usage, I only use a soaker hose on the dogwoods, hydrangeas and clematis. Everything else is well established.

Now the other side of my house is a different story, Full Sun, I would love to put in a reclaimed water system for the house water, to use in the sunny garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.