Clematis: Friends forever, 1 by rileyobo

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rileyobo

In reply to: Friends forever

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Friends forever
rileyobo wrote:
There is a small 18in tall plastic coated wire trellis on the other side. The roots were planted about a foot away from the tree with some extra potting soil, then mulch on top. I woven the clem onto the small trellis, planted in the spring the first year. The second year it grew about 3 to 4 foot and bloomed sparingly. This year it grew another 3ft. I take inch long staples, and using two pliers break them off one or two at a time. Then with a hammer I loosely "staple" the clematis to the tree in a few places. Leaving plenty of space for the vine to grow inside of the staple area. Last year I used about 2 and this year another two staples. I stapled the vine in two directions, thinking eventually it would encircle the tree and twine on itself. All of the vine is supported by the loose staples. I do not see the vine clinging to the tree on its own yet. I have only used fish fertilizer, once last spring and once this spring.

The tag broke off sometime last winter. Memory says it is an Artic Queen. But I was looking at photos and it may be a Duchess of Edinburgh. It has two types of blooms. Here you can see the triple blooms and the multi blooms. It has yellow anthers.