How to sow Liatris seeds

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hello everybody !!!! I received some Liatris seeds a couple of days ago as a free gift when I purchased some other bulbs. I would like to know what's the best way to sow them and if they can be sowed now in the summer time. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much !!!!!

Galesburg, IL

Roly, I stratify my liatris (L. spicata and pycnostachya) in moist media in the fridge for 4 weeks and then germinate at a cool temp 60-70. You can germ them this time of year if you can keep them cooler while they germ. They don't like the hotter temps you are likely to have in Miami outdoors, but once they are established in pots the warm temps should be no problem. Note however, my experience is only with native species, I haven't dealt with any of the cultivars. Hopefully, others will offer their experience as well.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

trc65 thank you for the reply. So can I put then in a seedling tray with peat moss and vermiculite mix for 4 weeks in the fridge and then bring them out ? I'm still not familiar with the terms and stuff. I sowed Amaryllis seeds last year but my sowing simple means putting them in a tray with soil outside. These guys are completely different.

Galesburg, IL

Roly, That's exactly right, just make sure to pre-moisten the seedling mix. Stratification is merely keeping the seeds at different temperatures to stimulate germination. Stratification is almost always done with moisture and many perennial plant seeds need from a few days to a few weeks to break dormancy so they can germinate. Usually, the dormancy is broken by enzymatic action within the seed that only occurs at cold temperatures. Most of the perennial native plants here in the Midwest need some stratification to germinate and the more difficult need multiple cycles of warm and cold stratification before dormancy is broken.

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

I bought Liatris seeds this year. I will be winter sowing them. First time growing these. Looks like it will do well in this zone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.