Ahhh yes - yet another plant sale....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Paybacks to all that tortured me the last week with :"sales" - LOL. Guess I was the only person remaining who was clueless that there were fragrant daylilies...who knew? LOL Gilbert and Son...has a pretty good sale going on http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_mida/all/ for any one having room left in their yard. ^_^

Thumbnail by Chantell
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That link just brought me back to the midatlantic forum.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OOppss sorry...I googled Gilbert and Son http://www.gilberthwild.com/

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Chantell, I've never ordered from them, but Gilbert Wild doesn't have the greatest rating in Watchdog.

If you're looking for daylilies, I received wonderful, generous, huge ones from Wynn's Daylilies a couple of weeks ago and their prices are fantastic. Plus they send very generous bonus plants too.

http://www.wynnsdaylilygarden.com/About_Us.html

Jessica was so nice to deal with, I'm sure if you wrote and asked she could recommend some fragrant ones.

Here's a long list of fragrant ones from Oakes Daylilies.

http://www.oakesdaylilies.com/categories/daylilies/features/fragrant

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh you're killing me Diane...LOL...will probably write her tonight and take a peeksee at their site... ^_^

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I think it's called enabling. LOL I'm hoping this year to finish my years long project of planting lilies and daylilies all along that long slope next to the driveway. Maybe one more order of daylilies and one more order of lilies (Potomac Lily Society fall sale) ought to do the trick.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

And I'm simply trying to find room to plant more...LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I could loan you some space here. snicker

I would imagine daylilies could be grown in pots as long as they're big enough. You'd probably want to bury the pots in mulch for the winter so the roots won't freeze, especially if they're evergreens.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

"loan" me space...LOL...that's good Diane!! I'm not completely out of space yet in the front...I believe there's room where I pulled up those lilies I gave you and if I plant things "just so" they can lean over to the neighbor's direction...she doesn't plant anything and I figure if the roots are on my side...that should work right?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Uh, yes, but if the roots are on your side and the flowers on hers, she owns the flowers. LOL

I was so lucky when I lived in a townhouse, I had a huge yard in the back - about a quarter of an acre. Like it better here, though, where I have lots more room and don't have to worry about my neighbor's ratty silver maple (aka weed tree) shading my beds, shedding something or other constantly and sprouting seeds all over.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have daylilies in container and they do fine overwinter, and I'm colder here

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

yep, I've got DL seedlings in pots on the patio all winter long.. no problem.. not mulched... pretty sure they're all dormant types, though.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

For pots, dormants would a good bet, Chantell. They're hardier.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

I can also say that I've successfully (out of necessity) kept many daylilies in pots over the years. Not the best thing for them, but it's very definitely do-able. As Critter and hart mentioned, dormants have the best chance of surviving in pots in our winters, but I've also lost dormants some years while semi-evergreens or evergrens survived. Go figure. But when in doubt, winter protection always helps.

One fun aspect of having the daylilies in pots is that you can rotate the display, depending on what's blooming (OR facing away from you!)

Enabling? NAH - just spreading the love! LOL!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ya'll are horrible.....Hor-ri-ble!! Ok...guess I need to do some researching...I gather that not all of these die back during the winter? The only 2 have (in the back yard) disappear each fall...then come bk up in the spring...these would be what you refer to as dormants - yes? Sorry for the ignorance

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Well, sort of. In colder areas, some evergreens also die back I think.

One source says:

Dormant. Foliage offers little if any resistance to early freezes and declines to the point that no foliage remains above the soil (even in mild climates) until spring.

Semi-evergreen. Foliage either dies down briefly in early winter or gradually declines through successive freezes, then initiates entirely new growth that emerges and maintains itself as short sprouts until it rapidly elongates in very early spring.

Evergreen. Foliage remains green through winter in milder climates.

Generally, evergreen cultivars are not well adapted to areas with cold winter conditions, whereas cultivars in the dormant category are extremely hardy. Semi-evergreen cultivars fall somewhere in between.
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0201/

However, according to another source (the American Hemerocallis Association, so probably the best source):

The winter behavior of the daylily foliage is called "the foliage habit." For registration purposes, the foliage habit is loosely categorized as dormant, evergreen, and semi-evergreen.
Dormant. The leaves of these daylilies die completely back as winter approaches. They stop growing and form resting buds at the crown, and the foliage dies down naturally and gradually. In the spring, the resting buds have a distinctive spear-like appearance as they emerge.
Evergreen. These daylilies retain their leaves throughout the year. They do not form resting buds. Instead, they continually produce new leaves unless cold weather prevents growth. In mild climates, the leaves of evergreens remain green all winter. In the coldest climates, the foliage of evergreens nearly always is frozen back, but the crown survives if it is hardy (or well mulched).
Semi-Evergreen. Today, the term semi-evergreen is used to describe any foliage behavior which is not readily classed as simple evergreen or dormant. Originally, the term semi-evergreen (or conversely, semi-dormant) was used to describe those daylilies which retained many of its leaves and appeared somewhat evergreen when grown in the South, but lost all its leaves and went dormant when grown in the North.
Cold-Hardiness and Heat-Tolerance
The cold-hardiness of daylilies is quite variable. Some are iron-clad hardy. Others are extremely tender. Cold-hardiness is not determined by the foliage habit. Evergreen, dormant, and semi-evergreen can be anything from extremely cold-hardy to extremely tender. To avoid risk of losing a cultivar, choose daylilies which others have already grown successfully in your climate.
http://www.daylilies.org/AHSfaq1.html

Some evergreens or semi-evergreens are dormant in cold areas, just in case this isn't confusing enough. LOL

I have daylilies in all three categories and have never lost a plant. My only point was that daylilies in pots might need a little more protection for their roots, especially if they're not dormant. But roots can freeze in a pot and kill even very hardy plants so it might be safest to just give them some protection in really cold weather.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2010 10:16 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Very interesting Diane!! Didn't even know all that...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.