Got Questions? - Bec's Mid-Atlantic Swap

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Have mercy ya'll have got to be the most amazing bunch around. Personally I think I asked for 3 plants ahead of time...needless to say my back seat was FULL. You all are incredible!!! Hugs to all!!

Alrighty....I'm guessing it was from John and Ruby...someone blessed me with some Monarda - a nice big ole healthy plant. I'm sure someone told me but (no surprise, I forgot) what color will these pretties be? I just need to know the "right" area to put them in...please and thank you. And if any of you didn't see that magnificent photo of John and Ruby's house...whew did you miss a shot of Eden on earth...gorgeous!!!

This message was edited May 30, 2010 9:28 AM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

John & Ruby's Monarda is a lovely red one, 'Jacob Cline'. I know, because I got one pot of it, and they said the other was yours! (Ya sure you didn't ask for it? LOL)

More info on some of the plants I was handing out...

TOMATOES -- not sure I had a chance to explain to everybody that they just look a little sad because they're rootbound (I planted mine 2 or 3 weeks ago). When you plant them, dig a sloping trench so you can lay them sideways, rootball at the deep end of the trench, and bury most of the stem. Don't bother cutting off the leaves (why make wounds?), just bury them. Gently bend the top portion of the plant so it pokes upright a little. It's OK if it leans, it'll straighten out.

Most of the thyme and other perennials I brought (except the Sea Holly, which was transplanted into its pot a year ago) were potted up just a couple of weeks ago. Some didn't have much in the way of roots when they were potted. I'd suggest keeping them in those pots (just keep watering) until they've had a chance to fill the pot with roots, then plant them out.

:-)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

critter- I have one deep square black 3-4 inch pot with a baby I've never seen before. Oval slightly toothed leaves on reddish stems. Does that sound like a sea holly baby? I swore I would remember...We have a friend who will probably love your extra Italian basil and some peppers.
again, is fish pepper ornamental or edible? I should check plant files before bugging you! Oh, there are 140 pages of peppers and search did not yield Fish 8 ^P ^_^

I think everything else I got was well labeled- kudos

This message was edited May 30, 2010 9:52 AM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill - thank you!!!!! Woooowhooooo....I needed some red to add into the mix of yellows and oranges on my right side...it'll be perfect!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The pot should say "Sea Holly" on it, but yes, I think I gave you one of those, and that sounds like it. I do need to look up that could-be alpine catchfly or whatever (that pink flowering one; David got some seedlings in his pot of Sea Holly, and you got one in bloom) and see what it really is.

I thought I'd seen Fish Pepper in PF.. let me look.. found it! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/227621/

Anyway, it is both ornamental (variegated leaves and cute little striped peppers) and my favorite hot pepper for eating/cooking. It's an African American heirloom from the Bay area, supposedly named for its use in flavoring fish dishes.

For those who got Aleppo pepper... this is one I've been trying to find for years, since penzey's spices started carrying it dried and crushed. Several people in the pepper forum have been searching with me. I tried to germinate seeds that were in the dried stuff, no go. Then last year a friend received a few seeds from a contact in Syria, and he shared them with me. Yippee! I isolated my 3 plants, and I hope the seeds from them grow out true this year. One of my plants produced larger peppers than the other 2, but they had the same flavor (heat with a touch of citrus/sweet) and similar shape (kinda squatty but coming to a point at the end, like the shape of a 'Gypsy' sweet pepper but smaller).

I also handed out 2 bell pepper "trios"... those are hybrid bells, should be 3 different colors/varieties, but I didn't keep track of which was which in the seedling tray (just planted the different varieties in separate rows, so I'm pretty sure you got 3 different ones).

Crozet, VA

Chantell - The Monarda Jacob Cline should bloom a maroonish/red color for you. It may not bloom this year due to transplanting it but should show pretty for you next year. I hope that you will enjoy its beautry plus find some medicinal uses for it too.

Crozet, VA

Posted this question elsewhere but will let Hart decide which place to answer it. Hart - you mentioned on another thread that you had Lemon Balm and I am wondering if it is pretty much the same as the Jacob Cline Monarda but just a different color? What sort of things do you use it for? We have some from Holly's swap last year and I am wondering what to expect. Thanks much doll.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lemon balm is the same genus as Monarda... without clicking over to PF, I think it's Monarda citroides or something like that, meaning "lemon smelling." (Too bad my high school didn't offer latin, LOL.) Its flowers may be less showy than some varieties; its claim to fame is its lemon scent. I think people use it in tea, etc... I just like to touch & sniff!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I use lemon balm in tea, especially. In fact, I brought some lemon balm and Kentucky mint tea in a red and white thermos to the swap yesterday, but I don't think anyone was game to try it. You can also use lemon balm in viniagrettes, tea breads, cookies and sauces, soups and stews. It has an oil that is flaorful. You can also put it in soaps and salves. Some folks say they don't like it 'cuz it reminds them of the smell of Pledge dust wax,but it is one of my favoirite herbs. I also brought a red Monarda and Froggy got it.

Hart- the purple bellflowers were looking tortured from heat today and I moved them to a shadier spot. I believe that you did say they were shade plants, correct?

Oh, Critter--what kind of hot pepper did you give me? I know you said the 3-pack was bell peppers of 3 colors!! Green, red, & Yellow? Woo-hoo!! That was a bonus--unexpected bonanaza!! Thanks so much!!

Coleup--did you give me the bleeding hearts? I know someone said they had seedlings but these looked like big plant divisions. The bigger the better, I guess. Thanks so much!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

As I recall, I sowed 5 varieties of bell pepper hybrids all together -- 2 orange, 1 yellow, and 2 reds. They're all green at first and turn color when they ripen (a "green" bell pepper is just one that's not ripe... even ones like California Wonder, which are usually picked green, will ripen if you leave them on the plant long enough.) I know the 3-packs were 3 different kinds, but I can't guarantee which color/variety you got.. should be at least 2 different colors, though!

Hot Peppers (and all the rest of the annuals in little pots) should be labeled in silver sharpie on the pot. I brought Aleppo, Fish Pepper, Hot Portugal, and there might have been a Kung Pao in the box. Sweet peppers were either bell, Carmen, Sweet Pickles, and I think there was one pot labeled "C/G?" which means it's either Gypsy or Carmen (non bell hybrids.. I had a little confusion sowing seeds).

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Plant files isn't the best source of information on a lot of plants, including lemon balm, apparently. It's not the plant shown here
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/301/
It's Melissa officinalis, not Monarda citriodora. Nothing like any of the monardas. It's the same family, but not the same genus as bee balm. Lamiaceae includes a massive number of plants, everything from basil and a lot of mints to chaste tree.

From botanical.com:

Balm
Botanical: Melissa officinalis (LINN.)
Family: N.O. Labiatae

The genus Melissa is widely diffused, having representatives in Europe, Middle Asia and North America. The name is from the Greek word signifying 'bee,' indicative of the attraction the flowers have for those insects, on account of the honey they produce.

---History---The word Balm is an abbreviation of Balsam, the chief of sweet-smelling oils. It is so called from its honeyed sweetness It was highly esteemed by Paracelsus, who believed it would completely revivify a man. It was formerly esteemed of great use in all complaints supposed to proceed from a disordered state of the nervous system. The London Dispensary (1696) says: 'An essence of Balm, given in Canary wine, every morning will renew youth, strengthen the brain, relieve languishing nature and prevent baldness.' John Evelyn wrote: 'Balm is sovereign for the brain, strengthening the memory and powerfully chasing away melancholy.' Balm steeped in wine we are told again, 'comforts the heart and driveth away melancholy and sadness.' Formerly a spirit of Balm, combined with lemon-peel, nutmeg and angelica root, enjoyed a great reputation under the name of Carmelite water, being deemed highly useful against nervous headache and neuralgic affections.

Many virtues were formerly ascribed to this plant. Gerard says: 'It is profitably planted where bees are kept. The hives of bees being rubbed with the leaves of bawme, causeth the bees to keep together, and causeth others to come with them.' And again quoting Pliny, 'When they are strayed away, they do find their way home by it.' Pliny says: 'It is of so great virtue that though it be but tied to his sword that hath given the wound it stauncheth the blood.' Gerard also tells us: 'The juice of Balm glueth together greene wounds,' and gives the opinion of Pliny and Dioscorides that 'Balm, being leaves steeped in wine, and the wine drunk, and the leaves applied externally, were considered to be a certain cure for the bites of venomous beasts and the stings of scorpions. It is now recognized as a scientific fact that the balsamic oils of aromatic plants make excellent surgical dressings: they give off ozone and thus exercise anti-putrescent effects. Being chemical hydrocarbons, they contain so little oxygen that in wounds dressed with the fixed balsamic herbal oils, the atomic germs of disease are starved out, and the resinous parts of these balsamic oils, as they dry upon the sore or wound, seal it up and effectually exclude all noxious air.

[Top]

---Cultivation---Balm grows freely in any soil and can be propagated by seeds, cuttings or division of roots in spring or autumn. If in autumn, preferably not later than October, so that the offsets may be established before the frosts come on. The roots may be divided into small pieces, with three or four buds to each, and planted 2 feet apart in ordinary garden soil. The only culture required is to keep them clean from weeds and to cut off the decayed stalks in autumn, and then to stir the ground between the roots.

---Medicinal Action and Uses---Carminative, diaphoretic and febrifuge. It induces a mild perspiration and makes a pleasant and cooling tea for feverish patients in cases of catarrh and influenza. To make the tea, pour 1 pint of boiling water upon 1 oz. of herb, infuse 15 minutes, allow to cool, then strain and drink freely. If sugar and a little lemonpeel or juice be added it makes a refreshing summer drink.

Balm is a useful herb, either alone or in combination with others. It is excellent in colds attended with fever, as it promotes perspiration .

Used with salt, it was formerly applied for the purpose of taking away wens, and had the reputation of cleansing sores and easing the pains of gout.

John Hussey, of Sydenham, who lived to the age of 116, breakfasted for fifty years on Balm tea sweetened with honey, and herb teas were the usual breakfasts of Llewelyn Prince of Glamorgan, who died in his 108th year. Carmelite water, of which Balm was the chief ingredient, was drunk daily by the Emperor Charles V.

Commercial oil of Balm is not a pure distillate, but is probably oil of Lemon distilled over Balm. The oil is used in perfumery.

Balm is frequently used as one of the ingredients of pot-pourri. Mrs. Bardswell, in The Herb Garden, mentions Balm as one of the bushy herbs that are invaluable for the permanence of their leaf-odours, which,
'though ready when sought, do not force themselves upon us, but have to be coaxed out by touching, bruising or pressing. Balm with its delicious lemon scent, is by common consent one of the most sweetly smelling of all the herbs in the garden. Balm-wine was made of it and a tea which is good for feverish colds. The fresh leaves make better tea than the dry.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---Refreshing Drink in Fever---
'Put two sprigs of Balm, and a little woodsorrel, into a stone-jug, having first washed and dried them; peel thin a small lemon, and clear from the white; slice it and put a bit of peel in, then pour in 3 pints of boiling water, sweeten and cover it close.'
'Claret Cup. One bottle of claret, one pint bottle of German Seltzer-water, a small bunch of Balm, ditto of burrage, one orange cut in slices, half a cucumber sliced thick, a liqueurglass of Cognac, and one ounce of bruised sugar-candy.

'Process: Place these ingredients in a covered jug well immersed in rough ice, stir all together with a silver spoon, and when the cup has been iced for about an hour, strain or decanter it off free from the herbs, etc.' (Francatelli's Cook's Guide.)

A bunch of Balm improves nearly all cups

And this is what it looks like - nothing like any of the monardas.
http://www.artisticgardens.com/catalog/images/Balm_Lemon03.jpg

I grow it mostly for the scent because it smells wonderful and to toss into ice tea, but as you can see, it's an old herb with a lot of uses.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes, Foxnfirefly, those particular bellflowers don't do well at all in sun. They really need shade. They also usually pout some after being dug. As long as the roots stay alive, you'll get healthy plants from them, even if they wilt. I'd keep them pretty moist until they get well rooted in too. After that, they're pretty drought tolerant so long as they're in shade.

BTW, this is Rootone, the stuff I was telling you about yesterday to help the cuttings root. You can get it at Lowes. Comes in a bottle, just dip the cutting stems in the powder to coat them and then put them in dirt.

http://www.gardening123.com/ProductInfo/rootone/Benefits.asp

How to propagate mock orange:
http://www.gardenguides.com/86368-propagate-mock-orange.html

honeysuckle
http://www.gardenguides.com/102648-propagate-honeysuckle.html

wisteria frutescens (American wisteria, which is what I gave you all)
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cangard/msg0220165721514.html

Thanks, Hart. I'll try to get some of the Rootone stuff tomorrow. I put the cuttings in water for now. They still look okay so far. That was mock orange, two kinds?

Thanks for the pepper info, Critter. With all those kinds of plants and seeds you get, I can imagine some confusion. I don't even sow that much and I still don't know what I put in on account of no labels. I'm going back out there in a few to look at the hot pepper pot. Now I seem to remember-- I think you said it was Portugal. I didn't notice the writing on the pot.

BTW--who/where did those cute little plastic sign labels come from?? Critter?? Those are great!! I got those in a couple of my plants.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Foxnfirefly and other recipients of Bleeding Heart from me. Yes, most of the plants I sent (sorry I didn't make it there in person) are two years old and were grown in those pots, not dug. Bleeding Hearts don't like to be moved, so this was my solution: put pots of good rich soil mixed with potting soil to lighten it right under the mature mommy plants and let the seeds fall in them. That way the seeds don't have to fight their way thru the shredded oak leaf mulch I keep around my plants and they are much easier to prick out and pot up come the next spring.

Unfortuneately I didn't keep trak of which were white and which pink, except for Greenthumbs(white) and Gita , a four year old pink. The pink begin blooming first with the white about ten days later. My in ground whites have just finished blooming.

ATTENTION If your plants have seed pods on them they have already or will very soon drop their seeds, which sprout very quickly if they land on moist soil.. Good luck creating pass alongs of your own.

At some point for me, due I think to high heat and humidity, my plants give up and start to turn yellow and unsightly. I trim off non- green leaves and branches , letting the ok looking parts continue growing until I've finally trimmed most of the plant away and the hosta and ferns, etc have filled in. Some friends around here are able to keep their plants looking good much longer than I can. I'd say that if you can keep pansies going try your bleeding heart there. Mine, for me are a woodland spring flower that soon I will miss until next Spring...and the next spring swap where blossom color will be id ed!

More to come on the care and feeding of Hardy Begonias!

Judy

This message was edited May 30, 2010 10:36 PM

Re my passion vine saga~ in which I could barely find enough root sprouts. Weeeellllll,
Today I toured the yard with Judy/colep (she sure knows plants BTW) and we come to the passion vine area. Andthere is a sprout, two feet away from wher I planted the main vine JUST LAST SPRING. Adn then another... and then... turns out there were about eight total sprouts all behind the oil tank, and by the wall, UP TO 3 FEET LONG> Passionvine all over the place Unbeleivable!
So when I say you'l have it forever---you will!

Thanks Jill

hart, got my bellflower planted under a maple, in my own YUK bed tee hee and they should be bee yoo tee ful by next spring. saved a few to try at mom's house. thanks for the cutting prop links

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, the "lemon balm" I have is a monarda species. I think the problem is that both Melissa officianalis and Monarda citraodora are commonly known as "lemon balm" although they are 2 different plants.

(Botanical names are important, sometimes!)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

critterologist, Thanks so much for the Kentucky Colonel Mint! That smell just takes me away to my perfect spot...aaahhh. lemon balm (melisa officianalis) really "comforts" me. I often take a sprig or two on a long journry, or crush a few leaves on my wrists when going to a stressful situation. Keeps me centered. Your tomatoe plants are fine. That's how I was taught to plant them, too? Do you save your own seed for your heirlooms?

Judy

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I think that's another mistake in plant files, Critter. Do a search - the only places I find listing lemon balm as a common name for Monarda citriodora are plant files and a couple of commercial seed sites. Everywhere else, certainly the authoritative sources I'm seeing, lists lemon bee balm among the common names but not lemon balm.

Anyway, Ruby, if what you have is Monarda citriodora, here's some herbal/uses info on it - basically the same as regular old bee balm. I thought the info on it being a good companion plant for tomatoes was interesting.

BEEBALM, OSWEGO TEA
(Monarda didyma)
Also see M. citriodora, M. fistulosa, M. pectinata and M. punctata

Noted for its spicy scented leaves and brilliant blooms. Named for Nicholas Monardes (1493-1588), a Spanish botanist and physician who authored the first book about horticulture in the Americas. Monardas attract hummingbirds.
PROPAGATION: By seed or division. Perennial.
NEEDS: Full sun to part shade and moist, rich soil. Cut back to 1" immediately after bloom to encourage a second round of bloom. Plants should be divided every 3 to 4 years with the central portion being discarded and the vigorous outer segments of the clump being replanted. Monardas are prone to mildew, although a number of newer varieties have some resistance to this. Regular spraying is advised to keep this from occurring. (Do NOT harvest sprayed plants for consumption!)
HARVEST: Just leaves before blooming or while in full bloom. Harvest flowering tops in full bloom.
FLOWERS: Late July to early August onward throughout late summer depending on variety.

USES

MEDICINAL:
Antiseptic, antifungal, relaxing, soporific.
Has been used for sore throat, menstrual cramps, colicky stomach, flatulence, colds, and chills.
Has been used to relieve symptoms of nausea and vomiting.
Has been used as vapor therapy for relief of bronchial problems and throat infection. Presence of thymol in the leaves is responsible for much of the antiseptic action. Pour boiling water onto a large handful of leaves in a bowl and inhale the vapor.
The extracted oilhas also been inhaled for bronchial problems.
CULINARY:
Leaves, flowers, and tender shoots used in salads, drinks, cheeses, jellies and meat dishes. Native Americans served the dried leaves with meat and as a tea. The flower petals are added to salads as a garnish and are edible.

COSMETIC:
Good bath herb and the infusion makes a good skin lotion which is antiseptic.

CRAFT:
Leaves and flowering tops used for potpourri, sachets, and wreath making.

COMPANION:
A companion plant for tomatoes.

Sally, I think I must be on the way to being the Johnny Appleseed of clustered bellflowers. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, I do save seeds, but lately I've been growing just 1 or 2 plants of a variety because there are so many I want to try or already know I like.. and if I've just got 1 plant, I usually don't save seeds (don't want to create a genetic "bottleneck"). This year, I do need to save seeds from a couple of favorite tomatoes as well as from basils and a couple of peppers, so I've been trying to space things out for a little isolation between varieties (not so needed with the tomatoes, but definitely a good idea for the others)

I'm glad it finally occurred to me to ask Sally what I could send back for you... and happier yet there was still a bundle of the KYC spearmint left! (If not, I would have wrestled somebody to make them share theirs... there were lots of little rooted starts in each bundle.) I wrote about KYC spearmint a while back: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1206/ and did an earlier article on all the "fancy" mints I grew one year: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1354/.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, that makes sense... although I've seen the lemon Monarda sold as "lemon balm," maybe by folks who just didn't want to write out "lemon bee balm" on the tag. LOL I'm glad to know what to call mine now!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

It was great fun going through Sally's garden with her today , especially discovering all that passion flower vine! My conservative estimate is that she will have 15-20 feet of vine covered house very shortly. Remember, Sally, plants grow at nite. Will you have to give those vines something to climb on other than your siding? Too bad the naked oil tank will block the view of this happy vine. lol

And, I got to load up my car with all of the wonderful plants you all sent back with Sally for me. Gosh, thanks. and a special thanks to Sally for bringing them back and for helping me feel such a part of things. You are a sweetheart, Sallyg and I hope to swap some more plants with you soon

Judy

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

GREAT info Diane (why does that not surprise me!?) - is all of that from botanical.com????

Judy - I noticed my passiflora coming up in places that it's not "suppose" to be...yet nothing by the trellis where it "should" be...LOL Go figure

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sorry, forgot to give the source. Luckily I was able to find it again. botanical.com only mentioned it very briefly, no mention of uses. They called it prairie bergamot.

http://earthnotes.tripod.com/monarda.htm

I love the stuff about the 116 year old guy drinking his lemon balm tea every morning starting at the age of 66! LOL Guess he finally started taking his health seriously.

oil tank? what oil tank? I asked hubby to be sure--that the passionvine wil likely be killed by frost before our fall oil delivery, and not grown before the spring "top off" delivery. So I hope the passionvine grows and completely hides it betwen times! LOL I am going to drape some old fencing on the tank to help it.

hart--or (Di Bellflowerstem ) I have to go read that lemon balm info. I have the lemon thing that is soft and lower growing, more like a creeping mint and that one smells like lemon pledge to me. Now I'm curious to see one that looks more like bee balm. Stiffer and more upright. did someone have that at swap?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, I think I remember you saying that your clustered bellflower would like at least part shade... ?

Also, if you have a Persicaria 'Firetail' that says "For Jill" on it, do not worry, because I have one that says "For Hart." If you didn't get yours, I will send you a piece of mine next year!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Critter says she has the other one. I would imagine if it spreads like other bee balms she could be persuaded to share. LOL I've also seen it at Bluestone Perennials. The lemon balm I have isn't short and creeping - maybe 2 feet tall, upright stems, wonderful lemon scent.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yep, anybody who wants a chunk of lemon balm is welcome to stop by and dig one up! There's a big clump near the nectarine tree. It's not low and creeping, though.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, the clustered bellflower has to have shade. I planted some in a bed where it got some morning shade, mostly daytime full sun and it lived but stayed puny and it never bloomed. It can be very dry shade such as right under a tree although I'd keep it watered until it gets nicely rooted in.

What I have here gets pretty deep shade most of the day except for some morning sun and where it's pretty dry because of the tree roots. At my old house, it was planted behind the house where it got morning sun and deep shade from about noon on and was in clay soil that stayed fairly moist. So if you have a part shade area where you want to plant it, I'd say make sure it's not afternoon sun. It's drought tolerant once established but would probably appreciate a bit more moisture than it gets here.

I'm sure I remember Foxnfirefly bringing over the persecaria so I must have the one labeled Jill. LOL

Quote from hart :
So if you have a part shade area where you want to plant it, I'd say make sure it's not afternoon sun.

OOPS
Going to water my bellflower etc, and rethink...

Shenandoah Valley, VA

BTW, when I say dry here I mean dry. And when I say rocky I mean rocky. This the area right behind the house next to the pergola where I cleared to plant some plants last year. This is what passes for "soil" in my yard although I do have areas here and there that have a little more dirt in the dirt to rocks ratio.

Thumbnail by hart
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hart How near are you to Strasburg, Virginia? I just found out that Crownsville Nursery is having an Open House this weekend and June 18, 19, 20. They have an amazing collection of plants for our area Salvias 40 hardy ferns, Great perennials and their associat Bridgewood Gardens, (one of the Top 5 sites for Hosta all will be on display and offered for sale. A great opportunity to see plants we dream of alive and well and available. Well worth the trip.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll keep an eye on my bellflower's new location. The sun does hit that part of the yard in the afternoon, but I think it'll get some shade from nearby plants also. And the soaker hose runs right over top of it, so it should enjoy that while it gets started!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

In my experience, it's not just the afternoon sun that does in shade lovers, it is the abrupt transition for nice and cool and shady to very hot and intence that does plants in. I try to leave any plant that I'm not sure I have sellected the best site for in a pot of good soil or potting soil so I can coddle it and quicklly relocate it if needed without traumatizing is roots each time.

Judy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's a good suggestion, Judy.. but too late for mine, which is already in the ground. I'll try to toss a piece of row cover over it this afternoon.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I always keep new plants, whether ones I've bought or from trades, in deep shade for a while where I can keep them well watered and happy until ready to be planted (shade plants) or acclimated to sun before being planted (sun plants). I can promise you the bellflower that didn't so well in sun didn't do poorly because it went quickly from shade to sun.

I'm telling y'all, if you want this plant to do well, give it plenty of shade. It might stand more sun if it's getting more water but it's been my experience at both houses, one with a moist bed, one with a dry bed, that it doesn't do well when it gets too much sun. BTW, the bed they're in here has much better soil than what you see above. Like most of my flower beds, I put in gobs of soil on top of the rocky stuff. I don't even bother digging it in - that just makes the good stuff very rocky.

I'm not far from Strasburg at all, Coleup. About 20-25 miles. That's where the nursing home is where Mom is. I'm kind of amazed that Crownsville is having an open house. I've refused to order any plants from them because they have no open nursery, wouldn't make any accommodation for picking up orders and I flat out refuse to pay expensive shipping for a plant from a local vendor.

Thanks so much for letting me know. I'll be sure to go by there. I hope this means they will have an open nursery where you can shop at least eventually instead of only mail order.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Dawned on me that next go around Im gonna try some of those bellflowers again...they'd do well UNDER my dwarf magnolia - the ONLY place I have shade...LOL...I LOVE their color

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, this is odd. When you go to the Crownsville site, they don't have any directions or address, just say to email and tell them what day you'll be attending and then they'll send directions. What is this - a CIA front? LOL Beats me why they're so secretive.

Anyway, noticed despite the Strasburg address they have a Front Royal phone number and mentioned Elizabeth Furnace, which is right up the road from me, so I did a search. Hey, Mr. Super Secret Plant Nursery - do you know how few seconds it took to find your location? Sheesh. LOL Anyway, they're even closer to me than Strasburg, just a smidge past Waterlick, if any of you know where that is.

But if I get there, will there be booted, camo-clad militia guys with assault rifles guarding the entrance? With little hosta logos on their caps?

Chantell, I have two pots of the bellflowers I couldn't fit in the car. They have your name on them.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Well dang Diane...any place that operates in un-disclosed (LOL) locations must have good stuff they're keeping "under wraps"...please take your cell so I can place an order with you...ROTFLOL BTW thank you for the bellflowers...remember back at your first swap? I was so excited to get them...planted them smack dab in full south facing sun....sheesh. I'm so smarter now....(yeah...ok) Alrighty...enuf stalling...I'm heading out in the heat with water and shovel in hand - pray for me!!! I've already (finally) moved all the indoor plants outdoors...sprayed em down with that lovely recipe Sally brought. I'm now the proud owner of a dining room table - who knew?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hart, Chantal, et al- Contrary to your "impressions", Sallyg and I can attest to what a wonderful resource Crownsville Nursery is as they relocated from our neck of the woods to near you, Hart. They are well respected, Rated in Top 5 on Garden watchdog. Check out their feed back on DG. They have nothing to hide they are just strickly mail order.

They have been highly successful at what they do almost better than anyone else for 31 years!

I'm happy knowing that they are within driving distance of me and are now going to have annual open houses.

Go check them out, take pictures and have your cell phone handy to take my orders for bell flowers, salvia, ferns and hostas I'd love to have

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.