Scientists Find Earthworms Eat Live Seeds and Plants

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Crazy, huh? Who knew? Take a look here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8694000/8694377.stm

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for sharing faeden, this is crazy indeed.

"invasive earthworms could be reducing populations of plants in once pristine soils."

Oh my... this is startling. I guess it doesn't surprise me that much though, as non-native life forms often have an invasive impact.

"Earthworms play a fundamental role in nutrient cycling, and in most contexts cannot be regarded as pests of plants"

Okay, so we can't discount the benefits of earthworms completely...thankfully... I'm just wondering how we can monitor whether or not earthworms are negatively impacting our gardens. Hmmmm...

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Fascinating stuff. I have a feeling that we haven't heard the last about this revelation.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Watch out! Someone will make a horror flick out of it! HEHEHEHEHE

Central Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

This isn't surprising. Most detritus eater will eat live plants when their primary food sources are scarce (i.e. slugs, snails, mealbugs). Make sure there is enough decaying OM for them.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 11:41 AM

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

No natural earthworms here, so guess if I introduced them, they would eat the roots!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

faeden, they already did make a horror flick about earthworms. TREMORS!!!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

OMG!!! I forgot about that!! You're absolutely right!! HEHEHEHEHEHE

Freedom, CA(Zone 9b)

I wonder if it is just seeds and seedlings they eat. Maybe it is beneficial in that they would reduce an over abundance of seeds sprouting and crowding each other out? People have often wondered why my houseplants are so healthy and I have always told them it is because when I plant a houseplant, I always put an earthworm or two into the new pot as well. Perhaps their benefit is mostly to established plants. I hope they do more research!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.