Accessible Gardening thread # 11(?)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I hope I have this number correct. The old thread had grown to over 200 so I thought a new one was in order. If any one knows how to link the old one to this one please do so. Thanks.

GOD bless and keep each of you.
EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073246/

That thread was getting long.Thanks

This message was edited May 25, 2010 5:57 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

EvaMae, thanks for starting this eleventh thread I wish we had kept "compassion" in the title - I think that's an important quality we all offer each other. Doesn't matter - we'll still keep being compassionate no matter what the thread is called!

(((Accessibility Forum)))) gentle group hug

(Debra) Garland, TX

Thanks, Carrie. It's needed today...:-)

Debra

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I had wine with dinner and meds - I'm not feeling much ...............

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Was it a sweet wine? I need to get some to have around.

(Debra) Garland, TX

REALLY happy happy!! LOL

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I was'nt going to ask, How happy? She can still make sentances. LOL

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 11:12 AM

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I just popped in before I go to bed to see what you have all been up to. I see Carrie is in no pain but how are the rest of the gang.
Jim, it is good to see you are doing some better. I sympathize big time with back pain. That has been my biggest problem. The fibro is not as bad as the back itself. And fibro is very bad.
Debra. I like the cute little doggy and the white rose of sharon. I have a lavender ROS. I would love to trade cuttings if you have to trim yours and have some extras. that is if you do not already have a lavender one. Dmail me if you would like to trade.
Sheri, I got your message just awhile ago and was afraid I would wake you if I returned your call tonight. I will try to find time tomorrow. It is going to be a hot humid 90 degrees here tomorrow. It is like breathing soup. It just is not like breathing normal air. When you work in the yard you get wet in a few minutes and stay that way all day. And it is not clean fresh rain it is stinky ole sweat. I hate sweating but the work must get done. Carrie and Sheri maybe if you both blow some cool air my way it will help some. I am beat again tonight because I transplanted some flowers and lots of grass today. I moved grass from my flowerbed to my yard. If you have a bare spot where the grass will not grow just put a border around it and call it a flowerbed and the grass will take off and out grow the rest of the yard.LOL. That's the state of it here. goodnight,Love and Prayers, scraps

mulege, Mexico

Good morning all,

I'm rested but in some pain. Tony and I have been doing what we cn on the arroyo while our weather is still tolerable. Yesterday was one of those perfect days, weather-wise. We were both feeling "so-so" due to minor aches and illnessnes and vulnerabilities due to variable weather - cold enough for a jacket and scarf; then hot enough to be soaked in sweat after minor effort.

We're going to have an easy day today; go to the dump to look for tires and other low stress tasks. I really need to do some housekeeping but the arroyo is coming along so well and we are enjoying the work so much that it's hard to stop. In another two weeks or so it will be like an over down there. WE have the first two beds almost done and are preparing an area where we can unload palm logs, etc for compost and tires for building the non-fence.

Have a great day everyone.

hugs, katie

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi everyone! I've not been very active as I've had a second heart attack in June and three minor strokes since and weakened my legs even worse than before. If I did not lose that 100 plus pounds after my lap band surgery in 06, I know I would now be dead. I do have post polio which is destroying my leg muscles and my balance so I am no longer as active with my gardening as I use to be so I am very depressed plus my dog died in November and she was my constant companion and I just can't get used to the fact that she is gone? I have been going for therapy and it has helped but I do have many more personal problems and it seems to overcome me and weakness of my legs only adds to my problems plus my cardiologist forbids me to go out in the heat of the day so I'm confined to be indoors cause summers in Florida can be in the 90's and humid and this will soon be happening next month especially come July. Wish I had better things to report especially after all I've been through. Many of you followed my day by day reporting of my lap band surgery so I hope you still remember me?

mulege, Mexico

Hi Tplant - I aremember you well. I'm really sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch but glad you posted about it. You have lots of friends here and we all have hard times that we talk about here. I am also a dog person and can empathise with the pain of losing your companion. Please consider getting another one. It won't be the same but it will be a companion.

Tony and I went to the dump and got enough tires to finish the section of wall that we've been working on. I think we may take whatever of my dogs we can get in the van to the beach tomorrow. We are both kind of low energy now and as long as we don't have things that "need" to be done we can have a fun day. And the dogs could use an outing.

My plumerias are starting to bloom. The fragrance is wonderful. I also have a jasmine blooming. The fragrant plants always give a lift when I'm down and add to the pleasure when I'm feeling good. A bottle of vanilla has the same effect. A small lift can be such a blessing.

hugs all around, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Ted, I'm so sorry to hear of your personal and health issues. It stinks when they go together, the two kinds of problems. My husband has been my loyal companion through everything but I remember when i was a single mother the health stuff was so much tougher to deal with. Hugs from Carrie

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello Tplant, Glad to hear from you but sorry the news is not good. My father had heart trouble for years and had five open heart surgeries plus he had the leg problems too. Take care of yourself. i agree that a new dog would be some company. Better yet just spend more time with us and we will try to cheer you up. You never know what will be going on around here. I have made some great friends.

hello everyone, I worked outside all day and had to sit down and cool off before fixing supper. It will be a quick easy one of some kind tonight. Then maybe I will pop back in.

katie, You deserve a trip to the beach and it sounds fun. Be sure to send us pics of you in your bikini. Build a sand castle for me. I love sand castles. Have fun!!!!

love and Prayers, scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK I am warm enough finally. It got warm enough but it went and got warmer than that and now is TOO WARM! There is a very narrow range of temps that I find comfortable. Which is why I really should be living on a tropical island somewhere!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, I'll be happy to send pictures of my ZuZu as long as you want, but she gets to stay here. :-) She was dumped at the end of a rural road/driveway that happened to be the house of a friend of my boss. I was trying to find homes for some 'recycled' kittens and we made a deal--he'd post the kittens' flyer at work and I would take the dog as companion to my other two. I got the better end of that deal, for SURE. :-)

Tplant, I'm with them. A new companion might do you a world of good. I essentially don't have anyone left around me but my sister, and would be absolutely lost without my dogs. Lived in Canova Beach, FL for a couple of years in the 60s when my dad worked at the Cape. Even now, I remember the wretched humidity. One of the great things about the inception of the Internet is you always have someone to talk to even if you flipped your day around to compensate for the heat. I'm new here, myself, but "Welcome back." :-D

Carrie, do you like oranges and purples together? See if you like this combination.

Katie, I used to use vanilla as the classic dab-it-behind-the-ears perfume because I love the smell so much. LOL

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I do,Debra. And let me ask you, do you really love your house?

(Debra) Garland, TX

Scraps, I have a lavender, a lavender with deep rose center, and a white with a deep rose center. Be happy to send you cuttings--without the ants, of course. :-) Dmail me with an address and I'll get 'em out.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Carrie, I do I do I do!!! LOL

Here is the purple petunia. It photographed a little more blue, but you can see how rich and deep it is...

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Debra, Did you sneak into my yard and take off with my purple petunia. LOL i've got one just like it. My dark purple one is the one with a marigold.
Katie, I hope its vanilla from Mexico. That is the best vanilla. Only kind i use anymore.It's real,It's cheap, It's wonderful.
Do take a trip to the beach for all of us and have a picnic too.

Tplant, Glad you're back. Hate about the personal and health problems. Beleive me you have my empathy. I'm with the rest. You need another dog. You'll never replace your other loved one but another dog will make his own place in your heart. I have 2 dogs and 1 cat and cannot imagine being without them.
The dogs and i went for a short drive today. Miss Kitty declined. Will get her next time. I rearrainged some of my flowers. Looked at the garden spot. Wish i could work it. I need to start in packing things up again.
Had a long talk with my councelor today. She told me whatever i do to check in with you guys every single day. You were the best medicine i could get right now. Here's Kudos to you.
So tplant, you better check in everyday too. Maybe we ought to patent you guys. LOL
They are going to try to squeeze me in to see the doc next Tuesday.
Carrie maybe we should start our own colony down near Katies. We could still call ourselves the Granny Goons Plus (however many men)
Still no word from the DD,s.
What plans has everyone got for Memorial Day. I've been told to make plans and do it. Have'nt decide what yet. I'll see whats going on locally. A state park about 50 miles from here usually has something going on.
scraps i hope you have'nt done too much at one time. I know it's hard to stop once you get started tho,as long as you can possibly keep going. It's hot and muggy here too.
Vickie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Debra, It's beautiful and not the color i have.
Vickie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

All of you need to go to the thread about DG suing Dave and Trish and insisting that cubits be closed by Friday night. I'll bet they are cowards and delete this post. I have the snailmail address of some of you and will contact you that way. IB is reading dmails and deletely all posts contacting others. I will not be renewing with DG as long as IB is running it like this.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

leaf. I'm defestated.I have your e-mail addy hope to get others here.
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Did not make it to the beach. I'm kind of worn out from the work earlier this week and Just wanted to veg.

Had a memory yesterday of eating at my grandmother's house. I won't go into details except to say it was disconcerting and very different in the way my sibs and cousins remember this. Then last night I had a dream about my mother and the way she handled social dinners. Weird. Between the two things it was like visiting the history of an eating disorder. Lots to process.

Maybe we'll make it to the beach tomorrow. Or Saturday. Tony got a break from working with me. We work together well (partly because, unlike other bosses he's had, I really work) but I think he can relax a bit more when I'm not there.

We need the granny goons and grumpy gramps to visit Ted and have a "talk" with his DIL. I think a visit from us would soften her up a bit.

My flame tree is starting to bloom. At the same time our weather is heating up. However, today is beautiful so I'm going to check my baby adeniums.

hugs all around, katie

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Goodbye for now all my friends. I cannot continue to support DG as the new owners, IB continue to pursue the $1,000,000 lawsuit against Dave and also close all of the cubits that were individually set up by people just like me (I have 2 cubits)
HUgs all around,
Sheri

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katie hope your dreams get resolved in your mind. I usually hate dreams,very seldom good dreams.
I'm waiting to see what happens with DG. Trying to see only the best that can happen.
Vickie

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well today. I had a Dr.'s appt. Just a checkup but my BP was 170/106 so I would say my headaches have probably been BP headaches instead of sinus headaches as I had thought. He had recently changed my meds to the $4 meds at walmart and apparently did not give me a strong enough dosage. He gave me a new one and maybe it will help. I hope it does the trick anyway. I have done pretty good this week but when it gets this hot my BP goes up. It is 87 degrees they say but with this crazy humidity it is like an oven out there. I ran in walmart for a few things to cook over the weekend and I thought I would die when I got back in the car it was so hot. Thank Goodness me and bro have all the chores done in the yard and I am going to take the weekend off. Hubs is cooking tonight or getting a sandwich which he hates. So I am going to sit in the shade and drink iced tea. Have a good weekend. Love and Prayers scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

scraps my doc had a fit cause my BP was that high. Do take care of yourself girl. We need you.
Stay in the shade with a glass of tea. And behave yourself.
Vickie

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey Vickie, I will try but that is hard for me. I took one of the new pills and feel better now. I tried to rest but could not go to sleep. I kept thinking of things I would rather be doing. Then it came a good shower so I could not get back in the yard so now I must sit on the porch or in the house. I need to delete some of my junk emails. I never check my aol anymore I just go to DG and get offline. I will try to come back later. scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We need all of us.

mulege, Mexico

I am worn out. Hot and sweaty.

Made it through about one hour of working with Tony, then gave up. Very frustrating but at least I had the good sense to quit before I collapsed and had to have Tony drag me up the steps.

My energy is low but I'm so excited with how the arroyo that it's hard hold off on working on it. I've been working on it for about five years and to have it finally coming together is great. A lot of the work I did when I first moved in about six years ago, besides getting the house livable, was to get trees, especially fruit trees in.

Now, I have lots of little fruit coming and my schotai tree will be producing lots of seeds.

I have lots of small plants ready to go in the arroyo gardens, probably in the fall when the weather cools off. Ready to go are small vetivere plants which should grow fast here.

It is funny: any outsider looking at the work we are doing on the arroyo would see lots of old tires, rocks and dry soil. I see a Garden of Eden. I wonder if I'll ever master the annual food plants like beans and cucumbers. I'm doing the big picture stuff and I just have to do what I can as I can.

When my internal parent starts in about all I haven't done I really appreciate that I have all of you here to remind me that it's a process. Thank you all for helping me to accept the necessity to adapt to my physical limitations. You all help me to appreciate myself.

hugs, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My new Saturday PCA is here today - I still have lots of annuals to plant, or just planted in pots, and I asked hr to water them. She gave each one a dainty sip from the top from the watering can. (The outside hose is busted.) I was too depressed to give her the whole speech about how container plants are different from plants in the ground.

Does anyone know anything about outdoor sinks or hoses where the spigot is higher than on the ground?

(Debra) Garland, TX

Katie, I sometimes think of it as building a skyscraper. Lay the foundation first, then the skeletal support, then the elevators, then the outside shell, then the wiring and plumbing, then walls and carpets, etc. It IS a process and often does take years to see a vision come to fruition even without physical limitations. But if we don't take that time, in that order, and as we can spend it, the whole endeavor is subject to failure and THEN what would those parental voices say. LOL My internals keep saying "you are focusing all this attention on the front, neglecting the side, haven't even TOUCHED the back yard, which makes you not only a bad gardener but a terrible pet owner because you haven't yet put in agility forms and plants they can play on and CAN eat--all because you are lazy..." and on and on. Sheesh, don't they have an OFF switch? :-)

I keep pictures of the stages to remind me of how much work I have really done when discouragement sets in. And, as to the backyard, why I need a real real gooood plan for it. This picture is from about three years back when we got a record-breaking eight inches of rain in just a few hours. My part of the neighborhood slopes just enough for the water to have run down from one neighbor, under my privacy fence and shrubs through to the other neighbor, but slowing down at my inside fence. Two of the three step to the back porch were underwater. The force of the moving water shifted every railroad tie lining the fence perimeter and all kinds of odd stuff. So I use these photos to try to be patient when my critics start railing at me for not doing anything back there...Have to say they are effective images...:-)

You are in a perfect place for getting help with acceptance. I am happy to have found it, and happy to have you and Carrie and Jim and Kay and Vickie and Scraps and everyone to help ME accept. So a very deep thank you to YOU, too!! :-)

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

Carrie, what a crappy way to introduce herself to you. Eck! I'm sorry. Want one of us to tell her for you? I'll Dmail you my cell number, if you want... :-) My backyard spigot is set on a pipe about 12 inches high. If you mean like counter-top high, I don't have any experience with that.

Here is a clown petunia. Hope it cheers, even a little.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

They (the plumbers) are worried that if it's any distance from the house, it will freeze. My idea is to have two shut-offs, one between the house and the little extension and one at the end of my little extension. So I can shut off the water to my pipe and drain it without shutting off the whole hose system.

Thankfully, it rained unexpectedly today so my containers will be ok. I began the speech about how the plants in the ground are in a huge mega-container and don't usually need supplemental water (we have a really high water table here{) but the plants it little pots have nowhere else to go for their water and the plants in 6-packs have barely enough dirt to live on and are desperate.

(Debra) Garland, TX

If the main supply is shut off close to the house and the extending pipes or hoses are drained, there isn't anything to freeze, is there? What did they say?

LOL Did she understand?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

exactly. that's MY [point. they are very hard to get a hold of if it's not an emergency (no heat, no water, etc.) but they are good in an emergency. plus I only really worked out that plan in the shower and it is a holiday weekend.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, I'll be glad to talk with the young lady also. My spigot is like that too. With a large mass of wrap on the short pipe above ground to the spigot.
And you know what i do? I carry water in springling cans out to my planters.I injoy doing it that way.
I've been camping in my back yard. I've injoyed watching the fireflys at night. I have a nephew camping in Okla. I just might go join him. I'll be back and forth till i get settled.But i'll be checking in,cause i cannot do without my friends.
I'm always finding myself thinking....I wish Carrie,or whichever one i'm thinking of could see this. Wish we could have all been together over the campfire last night. It seems so much easier to get thoughts out while watching flames dancing. It was also nice to watch an almost full moon rise.
I've been looking at a $200 dollar camera, i'd like to get. But there are other things to come first. I have to be back on the 7th for an eye exam. and Tuesday for councilors.
My house is a disaster and will probably get worse before it gets better.
But you know, I'm happier than I've been in a long time.
This is the first time i've thought of the future. No matter how hard things may get.There is a future for me.Not just the past.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Vickie, there is a future for you. Sometimes can be difficult to remember. There are some frightening changes coming for me at work and I spent most of the weekend trying to figure out my place in it all. Not one who likes change at all and, since my whole world has been basically my job the last two years, I am feeling extremely anxious. But...I've been here before, will be here again, and have to remember that each change has put me where I was supposed to be at that time. The older I get the more I believe that things happen for a reason and I have faith that this transition for you will be good in the long run. Short-term, maybe not so comfortable. :-) Long-term, yes.

Debra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.