Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Accessible Gardening thread # 11(?), 1 by lovemyhouse

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lovemyhouse

In reply to: Accessible Gardening thread # 11(?)

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Accessible Gardening thread # 11(?)
lovemyhouse wrote:
Katie, I sometimes think of it as building a skyscraper. Lay the foundation first, then the skeletal support, then the elevators, then the outside shell, then the wiring and plumbing, then walls and carpets, etc. It IS a process and often does take years to see a vision come to fruition even without physical limitations. But if we don't take that time, in that order, and as we can spend it, the whole endeavor is subject to failure and THEN what would those parental voices say. LOL My internals keep saying "you are focusing all this attention on the front, neglecting the side, haven't even TOUCHED the back yard, which makes you not only a bad gardener but a terrible pet owner because you haven't yet put in agility forms and plants they can play on and CAN eat--all because you are lazy..." and on and on. Sheesh, don't they have an OFF switch? :-)

I keep pictures of the stages to remind me of how much work I have really done when discouragement sets in. And, as to the backyard, why I need a real real gooood plan for it. This picture is from about three years back when we got a record-breaking eight inches of rain in just a few hours. My part of the neighborhood slopes just enough for the water to have run down from one neighbor, under my privacy fence and shrubs through to the other neighbor, but slowing down at my inside fence. Two of the three step to the back porch were underwater. The force of the moving water shifted every railroad tie lining the fence perimeter and all kinds of odd stuff. So I use these photos to try to be patient when my critics start railing at me for not doing anything back there...Have to say they are effective images...:-)

You are in a perfect place for getting help with acceptance. I am happy to have found it, and happy to have you and Carrie and Jim and Kay and Vickie and Scraps and everyone to help ME accept. So a very deep thank you to YOU, too!! :-)

Debra