Some pictures of my Cottage Garden

Lake Charles, LA

How long do those hardy Geraniums bloom?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I just love the Lady's Mantle with your Johnson's Blue. Lovely!! My JB is doing well and bloomed for the first time this year!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I've had a few people ask me to list what plants I have in my garden. I thought I'd give it a try. There are quite a few, and they are pretty crammed in there, so I have to make sure that as things fade, to cut them back. I might forget some, but here's a try . . .
-Old fashioned bleeding hearts
-Bleeding hearts with fringed leaves (don't know variety)
-Salvia "May Night"
-Allium "Purple Sensation" and "Globemaster"
-Columbine (don't know varieties, but there is a deep pink and a lighter pink, and then some "canadensis" for the hummingbirds)
-Geranium "Johnson's Blue" (I love these, they start blooming about a month or two before Rozanne, but start to get straggly looking by mid June. If I was planting my garden again, I'd intersperse some "Rozannes with them so that they start blooming when the JB's are ready to be cut back)
-Scabiosa "Pink Mist"
-Lupine "Gallery Blue"
-Phlox glaberrima "Morris Berd"
-Digitalis "Purpurea" some unknown variety, some "Camelot Rose"
-Digitalis "Grandiflora"
-Knockout Rose
-Climbing Rose "Blaze"
-Siberian Iris "Papillon"
-Campanula persicifolia
-Leucanthemum superbum "Silver Princess"
-Veronica "Goodness Grows"
-Penstemon (Don't know the variety, but flowers are a bright pink)
-Phlox maculata "Miss Lingard"
-Hydrangeas (one pink lace, and then some maculatas that bloom pink or blue - don't know variety - my parents gave me little starts from their garden)
-Lady's Mantle
-Rose Campion (this I just allow one plant on either side of my climbing rose to grow each year - it can make a lot of babies, but I pull all of them except those two)
-Phlox paniculata "David"
-Phlox paniculata "Shortwood" (But if I was doing it again, I would plant "Paradise Blue" - I have it up in my garden in the Poconos, and it's my new favorite)
-Sedum "Autumn Joy" (I really just have these for their foliage in the spring, and their chartreuse buds in the summer - I don't really like the flowers in the fall very much, and cut them back)
-Silver Mound

Annuals (all grown from seed under lights in our basement)
Blue Lobelia
Osteospermum
Impatiens
Shockwave Petunias "purple" and "denim"

Phew. I'll add the ones that I'm sure I forgot as they come to my brain :)

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a picture of the Phlox paniculata "Blue Paradise" that I have in my garden in the poconos that I'd use instead of Shortwood in my garden at home if I was doing it again. It starts out a beautiful blue in the morning, and by afternoon it's a deep purply pink and then turns to a deep blue again in the evening. It starts blooming before any of my other phlox, and it's still blooming after all my other phlox is finished.

Thumbnail by pgt
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

That's a really pretty phlox! I'm glad you explained how thecolor varies, because I've seen them at garden centers and thought they didn't look blue at all. I do usually tend to be at garden centers during the hottest parts of the day. So now I know I should try one because they willbe blue by evening! :)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Huh. I didn't realize that Phlox changed color. That is a beautiful blossom!

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I actually notice the same thing on my David's lavender, except it isn't blue. But the color does look completely different depending on the time of day and how hot and sunny it is, or with lack of sun.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Very pretty! I too didn't know that the tall phlox changes color throughout the day.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

This is stunning, and a wonderful thread to read and view the pictures. Very inspirational, and HELPFUL! Thank you for all of your hard work and for sharing it with us!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.