Slugs

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I had over an inch of rain over night and I think half of that was slugs. They are on everything this morning... Hostas, daylilies, rex begonia, ferns, iris and even up the trunk of my red bud tree...I have gone through several bottles of the ammonia-water spray..There is less then there once was......

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I hate slugs, last year I had fewer than usual I think it was because of my roaming chickies. I put salt on mine, do you use an ammonia-water spray?

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

I use what W*M sells! It works VERY well, and is not expensive. Just keep pets and kids away from it for a while, as directions say.

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes I mix up some ammonia and water and spray them and they just melt...I have way to many on plants to use salt...Ammonia water works great.....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I took one of the pint sized soup containers..... and buried it to the rim in a known spot and fill with beer... always works out great after a party when I find 1/2 full left overs cleaning up.. once I see a bunch of them in there I dump and start over.. the dogs can't get near that garden so I am not worried about them getting into it

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the tips. I think that may be whats annihilated my daikon radishes. How much ammonia to water ratio? I don't know if straight ammonia would hurt plant foliage. But it would break down to a small nitrogen boost.

(LOL your half an inch of slugs)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Escargo..........a product designed for slugs of all breeds. They eat and are caused to not eat instantly. They die and give their bodies to the soil. The Escargo breaks down and leaves a touch of nitrogen for your garden or pot mediums. There is another name for the same product but so help me I can not remember the other name.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

On the bowls of beer - I always figured with my luck I'd end up with a bunch of drunk slugs with the munchies.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

last year with all the rain the cups were not enough... even though I was dumping them every week... there were an inch or two worth of the drowned in there... escargot sounds good though

Escargot has been around for years. No need to fix it. It works and is very easy apply. It is harmless to man or beast.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Doc to the rescue again. That sounds like terrific stuff. I'll have to look for it.

I just read the instructions for ESCAR-GO. This too is the proper product spelling. ESCAR-GO is a registered trademark of Gardens Alive. It is in pellet form used.....one level teaspoon per square yard or one pound per thousand square feet. On patios this boils down to maybe two pellets in a six inch pot and a light sprinkling on the floor of the patio around the pots. Reapply as consumed or at least every two weeks. It is not the exclusive providence of Gardens Alive. The product is made in Germany. Therefore research should turn up a number of images for the same product.

It should be applied on damp soil or dampened after application for best results.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

And if you get their catalog, it usually comes with a buy $40 get $20 free deal or something like that.

Someone else sells it as SLUG-O or SLUGGO.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

In a bizarre twist, I went in the basement yesterday and found a big tiger slug on the edge of my cats water bowl, which is five feet off the floor in an wooden shelf. I cannot imagine if I had stepped on that thing on the basement floor! My basement is concrete flooerd and block walled.not rough at all. It's not unimagineable that slug could get in, just totally surprising it would! I have a Bonide producti may be Slug go. I have come across a lot of slugs this year- outside.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, Many years ago I had huge tiger slugs I would go outside at night and find these 5/6 inch monsters crawling on the side of the house. They were rather pretty but I didn't want them at my house. I didn't really do anything much about them. The next year all I had were the regular small slugs. I never did know why I got them or why they left. Holly

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sallyg - Slugs seem to be attracted to dry cat food I put ten to twenty pieces on a paperplate or in a shallow container and set out in a slug suspected area. and in early am dispose of all.

On nites after a rain, when things are still damp and slugs have an easier go of it because of the moisture I go on a slug hunt. Between 10 and 12 pm armed with an old knife and flashlight, I flick slugs off plants and into a pint plastic container half full of water with a splash of concentrated Lysol disinfectant. Always helps to decrease the population and keep the neighbors guessing.

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.