Heidi Chronicles: Nursing The Next Generation

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

As I understand it, when the babies got stuck in the trap, the Mom came looking for them. She stayed near the trap to watch over her babies, so Sgt was able to relocate her along with them. Hope I got that right, but that was my understanding.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

you got it right Dream their all together now .in the same place .

thank you Dream.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I did read that as Sgt & I apparently crossposted. Was most happy to learn this. also saw your note about the possibility of separating families.
I think Sgt is doing a wonderful job by giving these raccoons a place where they are welcome to live.
Like I think I said, My purpose was not to offend.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, our "Raccoon Whisperer" is a great educator of all things raccoon!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yanno -- i've had these two lil cute birds -- with a pretty little chirpy song, sitting out side my BR window, on the edge of the gutters.

due to the coloring, i just googled Blue Birds ... i'd only seen one before, and that was in Wisc... and low and behold... I have Blue Birds!! they aren't that vivid blue, but the coloring matches from this page...

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Bluebird/id

YAY

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Congrats, Terese!

I am SO jealous. I had blue birds for one summer, and they were so wonderful, like jewels for the garden. They made the place so magical with their presence alone. Lucky you. Enjoy!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh, how nice Terese! You can say goodbye to most of your spiders from here until the end of summer, they seem to love them more than most other bugs.
DoS, You do need that sign: Wildlife Sanctuary All Welcome Here But I think that it needs to hang in the back yard or behind the back fence so the neighbors don't see it....

LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

LOL. Now that I think about it, I think maybe you are right. Heck, it doesn't appear that I need a sign that much anyhow. Word of mouth advertisement in the forest seems to be working for me quite well.

Hey, speaking of spiders, did you guys see my post about the raccoon eating that large spider? Not only did the raccoon eat the spider, but she grabbed it quite passionately as though it were a favorite food. She scooped it right up off the lawn, scooped it up between her two hands and popped it in her mouth like a tasty appetizer. I hope they snack on those spider appetizers while they are hanging around my patio waiting.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Yeah! That is wonderful! All of those great big spiders are just "delectable little morsels" to your group. and YOU don't have to worry about them crawling into your house any more. (I have been {ugh} learning about the bugs of Korea, now that it is spring. I wonder if there are any raccoons here...)

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Yipee! There are raccoons here! They are called the Raccoon Dog and I think that I have seen about 6 blocks from here. I thought it was a dog...
http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/view.php?tid=3&did=23361

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is a picture that looks like one of our raccoons: http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/view.php?tid=3&did=5645&mode=full

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I had a really nice evening at the buffet tonight. Nothing earth shattering. Just nice.

After I fed the cats, I though I still had time to finally mow that back lawn. It was 7:20. I knew the raccoons were at the back door as I had seen them. They wouldn't like it much, but I really needed to mow the grass back there. With the sweltering heat plus humidity here, the prime time for mowing the lawn just happens to coincide with buffet hours.

So, with a pack of raccoons on the back patio waiting for dinner, I backed the mower out of the garage and headed for the backyard to mow. Thankfully, Bast didn't come to the gate this time to guilt me into feeding them instead. By the time I got the mower into the backyard, there was no sign of the raccoons. I wondered if, after I finished, the raccoons would return quickly enough for me to feed them before dark.

When I finished mowing, I put the mower away, and immediately headed for the kitchen to scoop up the kibble for the buffet. As soon as I got to the kitchen, Bast was already there at the back door waiting. Bast walked out to the buffet with me. Heidi had not returned yet, so that alleviated the usual conflict between them at the start of the meal. Oddly enough, with no other raccoon there and having her choice of 'seats', Bast chose to eat at her own assigned spot rather than taking Heidi's spot, the spot for which she normally challenges Heidi each evening. This seems to confirm that she doesn't want the spot so much as she wants to challenge the leader.

While I was still scooping up Bast's food, a group of yearlings, all Heidi's, came out from behind the shrubs to join us. Because I didn't have time to clean the pool before dark, I took a gallon jug of fresh water and a large bowl out to the buffet with me where I filled the bowl with water and put it down a little to one side of Heidi's spot even though she wasn't there yet. Heidi arrived later as did a near endless stream of characters. In the beginning it was just Heidi, Heidi's yearlings, and Bast, but as the evening progressed and especially after Heidi left, all manner of raccoons came forth out of the forest. They scarfed up food like a pack of hungry jackals, but they were all very sweet and well behaved, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to deal with all of them in daylight.

Backing up for a moment to the time when Heidi arrived, and the diners consisted only of her, her yearlings (sans Precious), and Bast. Bast went over to that old tractor scoot expecting to drink from the rainwater that collects in the lower tool shelf, but it was bone dry and dusty. I had intended for her to share the water I had brought out for Heidi. With a gallon of fresh, clean water, there was more than enough for both of them and several more. Thinking maybe she hadn't seen the bowl of water, I reached forward, lifted the bowl slightly from its spot beside Heidi, and put my hand in to slosh a little over the edge as I put the bowl back down about a foot away from Heidi and in the direction of Bast's spot. The bowl was still much closer to Heidi than to Bast's spot, but now wasn't right up against Heidi - just in case that was the reason Bast hadn't used it. At this point no one had touched the fresh water, and I was a little disappointed as I watched the yearlings go over to drink the green water from the pool.

As soon as I called her and moved the bowl a little closer to her area, sloshing water a bit, Bast got the idea immediately. She came right over and took a big drink. Great, except that once she drank some, Bast refused to leave the bowl of water. She claimed it for her own, nibbling bits of kibble from the grass around it as she stood guard over it. When Heidi came over to drink, Bast quickly moved to cover the bowl with her body and start drinking again. She would drink a little, then stand there dripping water off her chin while gazing around for a while. She would take another sip every now and again just to make her use of the water legitimate by showing that she was, after all, still drinking.

Heidi was very patient about the whole matter. I'm not sure why. Maybe because she's reluctant to fight near me, the big dog. Maybe because she hates to fight period if it can be avoided. Maybe because she empathizes with Bast's physical condition. Who knows, but she was exceedingly tolerant. Several times Heidi tried to drink, and each time Bast blocked her access. Even when Bast finally went back to her spot to eat, any time she saw Heidi move toward the water, she would rush back over to shove her face in it and block access. A few times Heidi tried to lay claim to the water with her version of the shove, moving in to align her body with Bast's and then stepping sideways using her body to suggest that Bast should move over and make room. At the same time, Heidi spoke to Bast, her tone clearly signifying a command for Bast to move her butt out of the way. Finally, Heidi pushed her body up against Bast's and began pushing sideways against Bast trying to push her away from the water. Bast stood squarely on all 4's, braced herself, and stood firm. As further testimony to the extent of Bast's recovery, even with the larger Heidi pushing against her full force, Bast did not give so much as an inch.

Through all of Heidi's attempts to settle things without violence, Bast continued to hold onto the water bowl blocking access and refusing to relinquish her hold on this much coveted resource. At this point I decided to intercede before a genuine fight broke out. There was more than enough water for the both of them, and I felt somewhat responsible for creating the problem. I had brought the water out for Heidi. Thinking they could share it, I had moved the dish and invited Bast to drink from it. Apparently, my intentions had been miscommunicated as Bast seemed to believe that I had given the dish to her and her alone. I felt responsible for the misunderstanding, so I figured I would need to clear things up.

Taking the now-empty plastic water jug, I placed the bottom edge gently against the inch or so of Bast's back that loomed above Heidi's. I didn't hit her with it nor even so much as tap her. I just placed it against her about midways her back, just against the top inch or so of her as the rest of her side was covered by Heidi who was still standing up against her. I didn't even attempt to push her with the jug. That would have been an exercise in futility anyhow. I know all to well from prior experience just how impossible it is to push a raccoon sideways. They are much stronger and more 'solid' than they look. I've pushed them before. It's like pushing a brick wall. They don't budge.

What happened next was nothing short of amazing. It spoke volumes about how far we have come in establishing trust and about the nature of our relationship. Had I tried to put that water jug against Bast that way just a year or two ago, both raccoons would have run as soon as they saw it coming towards them. That both Bast and Heidi stood still and allowed me to put the jug against them said amazing things about their current level of trust in me.

Even more incredible, as soon as I put the end of the water jug against her, Bast complied with my unspoken wishes moving away from the bowl to let Heidi drink. She didn't run away or even back away in fear. She allowed me to touch her gently with the jug, and then, understanding the gesture completely, she acquiesced to my request moving away calmly to allow Heidi to drink. And it doesn't even stop there. After that and for the duration of the meal, Bast gave up her exclusive claim on the resource, and both she and Heidi drank from the bowl sharing it amicably between them as I had intended to begin with.

I had communicated a fairly complicated idea with them non-verbally, indicating 1st that Bast could use the water bowl and later that both she and Heidi should share it. Even more incredible and noteworthy, I had taken a leadership role in resolving a dispute, and they had permitted me to do so. That last part is huge especially since raccoons are believed to be solitary creatures. If that's true one would not expect them to recognize the idea an authority figure or leader, yet it seems clear to me that they did allow me to play a leadership role in deciding who could drink from the water bowl. And once I told them how it should be, that they should share the water, there was not another moment of conflict over the water for the remainder of the meal. I think this is simply amazing. As for whether raccoons are truly solitary, I'm not so sure that matter is fully settled yet. I don't think anyone really knows very much about these creatures. The jury is still out on that.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi June,

We cross posted. It often takes me a while to compose one of my lengthy 'story' posts as above. Regardless of the time of the final post, I'm usually working on those things for 1/2hr to an hour or more, sometimes stopping to think about how best to articulate a particular message or part of the story.

I'm happy to hear about the Raccoon Dogs there in S Korea; however, although they do look very similar to our raccoons, it would appear from the scientific name that they are an entirely different species altogether. Our raccoons are Procyon lotor while according to your link, the Raccoon Dog is Nyctereutes procyonoides. Sorry, I would love for you to have raccoons there, but raccoon and raccoon dog do not appear to be related, at least not according to the information at the link given.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

The raccoon dog really does look very much like a raccoon, especially in the picture at your 2nd link. They are very lovely animals. I love the long, thick coat. However, if you read the information provided at your links, it indicates that the raccoon dog is in the same family as the dog. It's related to dogs, wolves, and foxes. It's named after the raccoon because of the similarity in appearance. If you should run across one, I wouldn't expect them to behave like raccoons. You should probably be careful in approaching one or dealing with one, at least until you know more about how they behave and what to expect.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I think that you are 're-writing' the book on raccoon behavior.

Heidi has shown herself to be a leader of a family group, and as a leader, she has meted out punishment for various infractions. This shows social ranking -and that there IS a society. While they may live in separate homes, they are not at all solitary like the books tell us.

That they see you as "the big boss" is great!
Maybe you can stop that gang of hooligans from coming into your yard later on in the summer, (?Freida & her kids? and those young males)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

I think they probably only view me as 'the big boss' with respect to the buffet area. I suspect that Heidi is the ruler of her territory in the forest and thus of all who reside there. I think they recognize me as the ruler of the buffet area and thus are willing to defer to my rules when visiting my area. But that's just my guess.

Isn't it exciting though to perhaps be on the cutting edge of learning things that the 'experts' don't know yet?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

I read more about the Raccoon Dog. Although the literature says they are only superficially linked to raccoons by their similar appearance, after reading other facts about them, I find it interesting to note a lot of similarities in behavior, size, litters, etc. They are omnivores and are said to be non-aggressive. The size, weight, and litter size are about the same as raccoons. They have long claws which allow them to climb trees (unlike most other members of their family). The 2 things I saw that appear different are: (1) they play dead like opossums when frightened and (2) they are believed to be monogamous.

You know, after reading more about these creatures, I'm thinking, who knows, as occurs sometimes, it may turn out that they have been misclassified. Decades from now we may learn that they really are raccoons or members of the raccoon family. Who knows.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Ya know, scientist are just now doing DNA testing of all of the wild critters to see exactly what they are. All of this time, we have been going on what an animal looked like, now we can find out who they really are. I was surprised to see that they hibernate in winter. Their closest cousin is the fox and arctic foxes don't hibernate even when it gets really cold - the low temp. here was around zero for about a month. These guys sleep 'til Feb. Here and in Japan, feral dogs are their main threat. This tells me that they probably do not smell like dogs.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I forgot to comment on the hibernation issue earlier, but I noticed that, too. They go into torpor just as raccoons do in really cold weather/areas. The similarities are quite interesting to say the least.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I hope that they like to eat spiders, too.

You are experiencing and observing such wonderful and unique interractions with Heidi's gang. I have no doubt at all that your book will one day be a best seller.
The mental pictures that you so vividly paint for us, from the "push" technique over the water bowl, to the yearling sitting, back leaning against your door, awaiting the diner opening hours, are so fabulous.
Once again I applaud your sharing these precious moments with us and thank you sincerely.

Sheri

edited for clarity

This message was edited Jun 7, 2010 11:22 AM

Juney -- Those Raccoon Dogs are very pretty. I did notice a "foxey" look to their faces, the shape and ears. Wow, if they feed on dogs, I sure don't think i'd be inclined to try to befriend one unless from quite a safe distance.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Me too.
Well said, Sheri!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Oopps, It is after 1 am and I am writing 'as clear as mud'... The canine dogs are the number 1 killer of the Raccoon Dogs. Since dogs usually do not hunt down and kill dogs for food, I am thinking that they cannot even smell a kinship with them..

Oh my...I got that backwards then. Poor cute Raccoon Dogs. They need a park for them or something. They are much to pretty to be "dogfood"!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

Thank you very much both for the wonderful compliments and for the much appreciated information as to what you like about my writing. I must admit that I'm not always sure what exactly people like about the stories. I began to realize this when editing and rewriting portions for the book. Not knowing what makes it 'good', I was afraid I might cut out the wrong part(s) and/or edit out and change the things that people actually like. The information you provided is, therefore, very, very helpful.

You paint vivid pictures of their activities and personalities with your words. Also, your tenderness and empathy for them is very heartwarming. Perhaps you have over the years learned to speak and understand "Raccoon" so well that you act as their interpreter for us.
Your Raccoon tails...er....tales are the main reason that I will still be here at DG for another year. (IB should pay you a commission!)

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

" ^_^

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

Your very beautiful and inspirational compliment leaves me speechless. I held-off on my response so that I might have time to compose a response that even begins to express the depth of my very heartfelt appreciation, but words fail me. The words "thank you" seem wholly inadequate, and yet they are all I have. Thank you.

I think (quite seriously) that I need to print your post, frame it, and hang it on a wall in my home office along with other such generous and inspirational compliments that have appeared here in the Heidi threads over the years so that I might refer back to your words on those days when my heart is burdened with feelings of inadequacy and when I feel incapable of writing a book. Don't get me wrong, most of the time I feel fierce determination to see the book to fruition, but still there are moments deep in my soul when I am gripped with the same doubt that plagues most of us. It is at such moments that your words would serve to renew my spirit. I think that I really will do this.

Thank you. Thank you for the compliment and for the very useful information about what it is you like about these stories.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, and as I am still in negotiations regarding a job and as my funds are now growing wafer thin even while Kitty, looking very well fed, nonetheless reminds me daily that she needs still more canned food (more than the 1/2 can daily she currently extorts from me), I could really use that commission, so if you could send a note to IB...

(snicker, snicker) I am TOTALLY kidding, of course. I'm quite sure they aren't about to give me a dime, but I sure do appreciate the sentiment. : D

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

Thank you, too! (Ditto)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yesterday I went out and did yard work for an hour in the morning and another 2hrs in the early evening. No pruning or weed eating had been done out there since late February when my [now former] gardener was last her. Around here plant material virtually explodes in a plethora of new growth in spring. The garden was once again threatening to swallow the yard house and all. Thus it was that I gathered my power tools and went out there to lop of branches, prune hedges, edge ragged borders, and weed-wack everything else. For some 3 hours I was out there standing, manning power tools, and reaching and bending - and it felt great.

Before I start complaining, let me just say that I loved it! After being incapacitated for so long, it was positively wonderful just to be able to get out there and work up a sweat. I was ecstatic just to see what I could do. However, by the time I went to bed last night I was already feeling very, very OLD and sore all over, and my arthritic knees ached so much I had difficulty sleeping.

Yesterday had gone so well and it had been such a good feeling to see the pockets of neatness I had already begun to impose upon the yard, so I had planned to repeat the whole process again today getting up early to get a few morning hours in before it got too hot and coming back at the end of the day to grab a few more hours near sunset. Now considering that my aging muscles have not been accustomed to such work in recent months - many, many months - and further considering that I already have a back injury and arthritic knees, some of you may realize what I apparently did not, that a 2nd day of such activity might not be possible.

Well, this morning I got out of bed at 5AM and found that I could just barely shuffle my feet to hobble down the hall to take care of the absolute necessities. I took my pain pill and got back in bed to wait for it to kick in, still believing that I was going out to do yard work. When Widget asked to go out I told him he would have to wait for my pill to take effect as I just could not move another muscle in the mean time.

Needless to say, I didn't get much done in the yard this morning. I did manage to hack off enough climbing, rambling rose material to fill my trug and a sizable box before I gave up and hobbled back to my bed in defeat.

I told you all of this to tell you that there are a few downsides to dealing with raccoons. Whereas I might have preferred to leave the containers of plant material out there to see if I could stuff more into them perhaps tomorrow, because I know the raccoons as well as I do, this afternoon I went back out there to get the containers (clippings included) and carry them around to the garage to await pickup next week. Even though neither box contained an ounce of edible material, I knew all too well from prior experience the yearlings would feel compelled to rifle through those boxes strewing the contents all about so that the next time Widget or I went outside we would have to wade through streams of rose clippings that would cling to us like velcro. It's just something I have to accept in dealing with raccoons. I can't leave anything in the back yard that can be spilled or strewn about or carried off. I dare not even leave my shirt draped across a chair or my rake propped against a tree. Raccoons will play with absolutely anything that isn't bolted down.

And besides the possibility of them playing with and strewing about all of your hard worked clippings...what if Heidi had wanted to nap in the Trug? She'd have gotten all full of thorns from the rose bush clippings.
Perhaps you could fill up the Trug with soft grass clippings sometime. That would make a nice comfy "waiting Trug nest" for anyone who arrives early and needs a comfy place to wait for the "Dream Diner" opening hours!! ^_^

Oh...and I sure do know the feeling of "the day after". I have done a bit too much on many occasions when my meds had given me temporary relief (and amnesia apparently) of the reality of my physical limitations. Ouch!

I hope you are feeling better tomorrow. It is wonderful to learn of the success of your new med regime, but watch oout for that overly good and able feeling. It can backfire in a quick minute and has left me feeling much worse off many times.

Hugs,
Sheri

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I am really concerned about you, Cheryl. I think you should file for disability and use your time to write.
Sheri speaks the truth, your writing is fun to read!

This message was edited Jun 8, 2010 9:04 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sheri,

Oh, I love that idea of putting soft grass (or other bedding items) in the trug for those who come to the patio early. Right now the trug is still full of rose prunings. I always have difficulty trying to find a container to put rose cuttings in for pickup. They are impossible to stuff into plastic bags because the thorns stick to the bag and each other causing a bottleneck at the bag opening and ultimately end up shredding the bag. It's a little like trying to put velcro in a velcro bag - if velcro were made of sharp knives that is.

I think I'm starting to feel better already. I decided to skip my afternoon yard work today to recuperate. For one thing it appears I have very sore muscles exacerbating the pain from my injuries, but I think I'm beginning to feel somewhat better now. It just felt so good to be able to do things again after so long, and I love to see the results I've achieved already in the areas I've done. I'm hoping maybe with my new medicine I can get my body used to working in the yard regularly like I used to do (so long ago). It feels so good to feel more self-reliant again. I'm still looking forward to getting back out there to do more.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you very much, KyWoods,

I've actually given some thought to such matters. I'm not at all sure if I can hold down a 9-5 job and be competitive especially when my medication makes it virtually impossible for me to avoid sleeping a few hours around 3-6PM. I think, for financial reasons, I need to give the job another try, but it may ultimately come down to that. It's encouraging to think that I may have some other options, such as writing, to help me get by if it does come to that. I thank you very, very much both for your concern about my health and for your words of encouragement.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Just came in from the backyard flower garden. I had gone out extra early to get started pruning and try to beat the heat. I was working with loppers and pruning shears, no power tools before 9AM is my rule for trying to be a good neighbor. Since it was so early and not yet outrageously hot, I let Widget go out with me to enjoy the outdoors off leash. Kitty, who had been indoors, but who hates to stay inside alone and loves to follow me around the garden, insisted on coming too.

I had stopped to take a few pictures of flowers while they were still crisp, fresh, and untouched by the heat of the day. It was 8:30AM by this time. Kitty had been following around the yard all morning. Widget was off doing his own thing. Suddenly I heard a disturbance nearby. It was like animals rough housing, running and ripping through foliage. There was the distinct sound of two animals galloping across the lawn and dashing through narrow gaps between shrubs and other plants, one chasing the other, running at peak speed as though fleeing an actual threat. I smiled thinking Kitty and Widget must be playing as they sometimes do. Those two take turns chasing each other. One minute Widget is chasing Kitty and she is fleeing as though for her life. The next moment Kitty is after Widget, and it's his turn to run or die.

Then, as though guided by some 6th sense, I thought perhaps I should look just to confirm my suspicions of what was going on over there. So it was that I turned to see the unmistakable form, fur, and color of a raccoon on the patio. I really couldn't make out much of what was going on over there with so many large potted roses and small trees around the perimeter of the patio, but I could see bits of Widgets white fur through the foliage along with bits of raccoon. The position of the raccoon indicated that she was likely the aggressor in the prior chase, having run Widget up to the door from somewhere back near the fence where he was probably nosing around, checking up on events of the night before.

Daytime, the interval defined as after 8AM and before 3PM, is the only time I will allow Widget to run around in the backyard now. Sometimes, especially in the early mornings he will act a little reluctant to go out there alone. I always chide him about his fears, assuring him that the raccoons are not out this time of day. They are all home in bed sleeping. Clearly, I was wrong. I should have known his fears were probably founded in some prior observations of which I was unaware.

I headed for the patio to break up whatever was going on over there. Except for the race to the patio, there had been no sign of an actual scuffle. On my way to the patio, I passed Kitty who was fleeing. I had to wonder, since moments prior to the disturbance I had seen her near me in the garden, if she had ended up over there with Widget and the raccoon out of concern for Widget, if she had gone over there to provide backup if her friend Widget should need it. Now, seeing that Widget was unharmed and with me on the way, she had wisely decided to split that scene.

I reached the patio in time to see the back end of the yearling as she scurried off the other side of the patio and into the flower bed beyond. Widget was standing near the false security of the door. I opened the door to let him inside and then headed around the other side of the flower bed where I caught up with the raccoon. It was one of Heidi's yearlings. When I found her she was NOT headed back to the forest. She had doubled back and was now coming up a path leading back to the patio. It was a bright, sunny morning and already getting much hotter than one might expect possible for that time of the morning, yet here was a raccoon meandering about the backyard garden in search of that last 'midnight' snack before bed.

She stopped on the path about 15ft from me and stood there looking at me. I put my camera up and snapped off a quick picture. Then in a mock fussy tone, I inquired what she was doing in the garden this time of morning. I guess she must have misinterpreted my tone as she quickly turned and ran for an intersecting path that leads to the forest.

I came in, wiped the sweat from my face, and grabbed a drink to cool down a bit (yes, it really is that hot out there already) while typing this quick post. Even now I hear Widget at the back door barking. He only does that when there is something out there, a raccoon or opossum. I'm guessing in this case it's a raccoon, probably the same one who may have hid out somewhere at the back of the yard instead of actually leaving.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn,

If you are there, I just wanted to tell you they just issued a tornado warning in Houston. I'm interrupting our normal programming to pass it on just in case you didn't hear it elsewhere.

To everyone else, sorry for the OT interruption. I don't normally do weather bulletins on this thread, but they just interrupted programming on the news channel to issue this bulletin, so I thought I would pass it on just in case.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Just came in from my last bout of yard work for the morning. The sun is just too bright and too hot for me now. I was starting to feel mildly nauseous and knew that was a sign it was time to quit. I got a lot done out there this morning though all things considered. After taking yesterday off to rest, this morning I found that, except for a bit of muscle soreness in my forearms from wielding power tools for hours on Monday, I felt quite good. I think my body is beginning to get accustomed to the added work now. I'm just SO thrilled to be able to do things again and relieved to see the garden beginning to look so much tidier.

To be honest, I drag a chair over to the area where I'm working. Then I work a bit and sit to rest a few minutes before repeating the process. The very brief rest breaks help to relieve the strain on my back and knees so I can work again. I'm not working at the pace of a 25yr old, but little by little I'm getting it done. I don't know if it come across the net, but I am simply elated to be able to do this again. It feels wonderful to be somewhat self-sufficient again. I so hated feeling disabled. I so love being able to wield power tools again and take care of my garden myself.

I really like my landscaper (who is on 'vacation' now since I have no money). He's a great guy, but to a gardener having someone else do your gardening takes all the fun out of it not to mention the fact that landscapers rarely know plants well enough to avoid costly mistakes. I still remember lying in bed (Dr's orders) following my 1st knee surgery and watching through my bedroom window like a nervous parent as my 1st gardener pulled my Blue Light Clematis up with the weeds. The carnage, sadly, did not end there. Over the years since that 1st knee surgery I've had no choice but to let others tend my flower garden, and I've lost more than a few valuable plants along the way to hard working and conscientious gardeners who meant well but simply lacked the ability in many cases to discern between a beloved plant and a weed.

On his last trip here, I asked my current gardener to cut the shrubs back hard to within a foot or so of the ground. I pointed out a few plants to which he should not do this and then turned him loose. He did a great job overall, except that he lopped my Fairy rose tree off at 1ft high as I had instructed for shrubs. Arghhh! It was a 3ft tall, grafted 'tree' with rose The Fairy draping down from the top like a weeping tree. It was planted at the front door and was quite lovely when in bloom. It was not a cheap plant either. I think I paid $150 for it. Of course, being a grafted plant composed of 3 different roses, it is now hopelessly ruined. With the top graft lopped off, it's now converted to whatever roses make up the root and trunk. I didn't say anything because I knew he didn't do it on purpose. Sometimes when I talk to him again I may show it to him just for educational purposes.

Oh, how nice it is to be able to tend my own garden again! I sure hope this new wellness continues.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.