What Fruit To Grow In Large Containers?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have about a 30' strip of yard next to my driveway that is about 20" wide. I want to load it up with containers and grow fruit. I grow grapes in containers now - so something besides grapes. Can I grow a dwarf cherry in a container? How big a container should I buy for a dwarf tree - if it is possible to grow in containers? I have lots of 5 gallon pails left over from last years potato-growing experiment that I can use temporarily until I buy matching containers. I saw a dwarf mulberry at Raintree Nursery and I would love a couple of apples . . . Please let me know what you are sucessfully growing and what you think might work. I live in zone 6b - 7 (I got upgraded last year but I do have frigid winds on this side of the house.) Unusuals are especially welcomed.

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

Dear YankeeCat,

I too have limited space. I bought a dwarf Surecrop cherry from Stark Brothers for growing on my patio in a container. See: http://www.starkbros.com/access?action=product&productID=9688&collection=0 for more information. This is my first year with it and so far no cherries, but from what they are saying, it should produce by next year. The pot I put it in is about 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall. It was outside all last winter and we had several nights down in the teens, and we had several days when the day time high was under 32 degrees. So I think it should survive OK at your location. Regards.... Doug

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I wonder if it is self-fertile? The blurb doesn't say but it looks like it would fit in a container just fine and I love cherries! Thanks!

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

I would give them a call or send an email to see. I have other cherry trees, so I was not concerned about that. But if you are only going to have just the one, you might look into some of the small ornamental cherry trees. I understand that those can be used to pollinate the fruiting varieties as long as they bloom at the same time.

(Becky) Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

I grow several Dwarf fruit and citrus trees in containers and they are suppose to get this high
Dwarf Banana 6-7 ft
Mayer Lemon 5-7 ft
Dwarf orange 5 ft
Dwarf Pomagranit 5 ft
There are even varaties you can get 9 different fruits off one tree or 5 kinda of apples off one tree
I also have some hedges and bush fruits like a goja berrie and blueberries too

This message was edited May 22, 2010 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by GardenChick1982
Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

How's this? This fig was rooted from a 6" long hardwood sprig in Jan. 2009. Now it has 7 figs on it.

Thumbnail by pbyrley

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.