Nitrogen depleted, but excess of phosphorus?

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I live in suburbia. I bought a dandy trailer any car with a little beef can pull. My success with horse manure came about because I put it on and promptly tilled it in even if the leaves were not yet available. Sometimes I had leaves saved. Sometimes like right now I live in sight of the townships leaf piles. They are free for the taking. We just tilled some more when the leaves were available. Some would criticise this. I have always felt that tilling whooped in the oxygen that supported digestion so necessary to soil building more quickly. The smell factor is not worth the displeasure of a close neighbor. Tilling keeps the odors down. After a couple of years of building the organic content and getting all the texture adjusted you may slide right into permanent mulch and no till when the soil is ready to handle permanent mulches. I agree that tilling after the soil building years are completed is indeed damaging to a soil condition that is very well established and full of organic materials. Anything over five percent organic matrial is heading in the right direction. Seven percent is likely five percent better than most soil where I live. Soil conditions are commonly that bad. Most folks just do not know or do not admit it. Is it any wonder why good soil will deliver better food product as compaired to chemically grown food?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.