Disease?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a Venus Flytrap that looks like it has peeling white paint under its leaves? ANyone know what it is and what I need to do about it? I ound some oak leaves with it too, and I have not done any painting. Thanks, Tanja.

Arlington, TX

Take some pics for an ID. And, you might want to post them on one of the other threads that can help with plant diseases.
C

Arlington, TX

Garden pests and diseases might have someone who could help figure out the problem.
C

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Spray a sulfur based Fungicide on it just in case. A photo may help.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I will do my best to get a picture. I only have Neem.

north coast nsw, Australia

you could just trim the flytraps white leaves off and see if the new ones grow back with it.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

It has been baking in the sun all summer. I should go and see if it survived. I have a feeling it bit the dust. He container still holds several healthy flytraps though.

flytraps can handle full sun though can't they, maybe it died from something else. So they others in the same pot are ok?
Heres some of mine now growing back after winter....

Thumbnail by breeindy
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yours are beautiful. Mine definitely need full sun. It is the lack or water, baked soil that is giving them a hard time. I just need to miss a day of watering and the soil is baked dry and cracked. Augh!

They need full sun and water. you can sit them in water if its that dry, i know alot of growers that do. i don't but mine stay wet for days-week. Make up a mini bog for your cp's it would stay wet longer, more water.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

They are in mini bogs, in big bogs, in saucers, in standing water, in undrained bogs, all are dry. It is so hard to keep things wet enough in this sorching heat and lack of rain. I'll post some pictures, so you can see the set ups. I am always experimenting trying to get enough water into these plants. We also haven't had rain in weeks which hasn't helped the situation. I am the only person who roots for the tropical storms and weak hurricnaes. My plants need them. :)

Arlington, TX

I know how you feel starsplitter. We have months of over 100 degree weather and often no rain for long periods. Luckily I teach school so I am home during the summer and can fill the trays. Still they do dry out so quickly. Do your bogs do better than large containers full of water?
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

The bogs are definitely better. The deeper the harder for all the water to evaporate. It is much more forgiving of lack of water. I should go grab a few pictures, so you all can see.

Arlington, TX

I have several very large plastic pots and have been going back and forth as to whether I should use them (very heavy when full). I want more plants and I think the big bogs are better than a wading pool. You have helped me make up my mind. Now I have to figure out where to site them.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I looked for the VFT with the white paint disease, and I couldn't find it. Here are some of my VFTs.

Thumbnail by starsplitter7
Arlington, TX

At least the other plants don't have the same disease. Your VFT's look like mine right now, tired and ready for a winter break.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Venus Flytraps donated by cobraplants.com that I will give away at my next CP class. And a few triggers in the foreground.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That is the truth. Surviving the Florida summer is rough on the plants. New Clamshell VFT in the foreground.

Arlington, TX

Your fly traps in the first pic look better than mine do right now. I think it might actually be hotter here with less humidity. Hard to imagine hotter than FL summers but trust me, it simulates hell pretty nicely here for a couple months. Funny but my purple pitchers are simply thriving this hot summer.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

We have torential rain in the summer and super high humidity so that helps. Unfortunately, the rain has stopped and it is dry!

starsplitter- you seem to have your flytraps in terracotta pots/trays, don't they suck up the water quickly? Yours plants look good though.
Whats the clam shell flytrap? How does it differ to a normal one? Looks like the sawtooth. I have that trigger plant also.
newtonsthirdlaw- yes i'd use plastic deeper trays/bogs if your waters evaporating to quick.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2010 4:04 PM

Arlington, TX

I can't say for certain but her pics look like fake orange plastic and not terra cotta. I have a lot of the "psuedo" terra cotta myself.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

The pots are plastic with the color of terracotta. My cacti get the terracotta pots. :) newtonsthirdlaw is right -- they are the "pseudo" terra cotta.

The clam shells are just another variety, and I honestly can't tell the difference between clams and sharks, although the clams may be less toothy. I bought them last weekend, so I don't know these plants well. I will sue them in my class next weekend. :)

I love the trigger plants. They grow so well, reproduce like mad and bloom nicely. And they are pretty.

oh ok, tricked me. hehe! Wish you guys were in the same country cause i just got a offer to some red flytraps, a guys getting rid a heap of cp's but i already have enough sarras. I'll show you when/if i end up getting them.
This is my sharks tooth at the moment...just starting spring here, b een raining for a week or so though.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Sure looks like my Clam shell. :)

I wish I was in Australia too. :) Do you grow any natives like D. binata and pygmies? How about the Australian Pitcher?

Arlington, TX

Me too!
C

yes i have a big binata but i havent really gotten into sundews much and don't have any pygmies. Yes i did have a Albany pitcher plant but i just killed it, thought from fertilizer spilling from my orchids which were above them but then a guy i know says he always fertilises his with his orchids so im not sure now. There great though and i want to get another one.
Im just getting interested in Utricularias now but like the under water ones better than the ones that grow in soil.
We have a raised concrete pond and are building a waterfall up one end and im hoping i can put sundews and some cps on it, bfs going to build spaces for plants up the waterfall. Im not holding my breath though as my bfs a builder and he means when he gets the time so it could be a while. hehe!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.