My New Baby Bog

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I am hoping they will be much healthier. The S. purpurea and Venus Flytraps have not been happy. I am looking for a way to keep my D. filiformis and D. binatas wet enough. They are always drying out. :(

In this bog I have 39 plants (3 are proto carniovorous -- the rest are all carnivores):
Drosera filiformis “All Red” X 5
Drosera filiformis “tracyii” X 7
Drosera binata X 1
Drosera indica X 1
Drosera capillaris X 5

Sarracenia purpurea X 6
Sarracenia purpurea venosa X1
Sarracenia Catesbei X 1
Sarracenia leucophylla (hybrid) X1
Sarracenia ? X1

Venus Flytrap
Typical X 6
Dente X 1

3 Trigger Plants

Thumbnail by starsplitter7
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I love sundews. Here's a volunteer indica. I hope to find more.

The indica is the one in front of the VFT. The other sundews are filiformis.

Arlington, TX

I want to see the whole thing! How big is the pot, how deep...etc and so on.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

It might be 2 feet wide and about 8" deep at the deepest point.

Here's a blurry picture from the top. I need to take more pictures, because most turned out blurry. Augh!

Arlington, TX

Why so shallow, a deeper pot would stay moist longer. And, what is a trigger plant?
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Triggers are proto carnivorous plants. When a bug lands on the flower, the flower smacks the bug on the back with pollen. I have stylidium debile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylidium There's a great video showing this. Keep in mind, the flowers are tiny. I have hundreds of flowers right now. Very pretty. The plants reproduce like crazy and like the same conditions as my carnivorous plants.

There are a bunch of reasons I am trying this small bog.
1.) All of these plants have been having problems: too wet, too dry, too much light, too little, . . .
2.) They are all very small, young plants. Some have short roots 3"-4", but were in deep pots, and I don't think they were getting enough water. I want to see if this will work better.
3.) I wanted to check the soil of the pots. Many were in soil that would eventually kill the plants. Quite a few were in straight sphagnum. For VFT that guarantees root rot.
4.) It is so hot and dry here, and I was hoping I could add 2-3 gallons to this small pot once or twice a week and keep it wet enough. The big bog needs about 20 gallons of water. The smaller VFT, sundews and S. purpurea are getting covered up by the bigger plants.
5.) I don't have a lot of space.

This set up is for the VFT and the S. purpurea. If it doesn't work, I will try the big bog with them.

I generally use the tray methods, and I can't keep the plants wet enough, because of the tall, deep pots. I wanted to try a more shallow, undrained pot to see if I can keep enough water in it.

Arlington, TX

Let me know how this works as it is very hot and dry in TX too. I have not moved my survivors into their new bog yet. Mine is so large that it won't be reasonable to move it and the place I want to put it needs some work first. My thought was a larger pot would hold more water, keeping the plants from drying out better in my climate.
I am amazed at the CP's toughness. My plants were not given a winter dormancy their first year and nearly died and some I rescued from home depot last fall. All survived and look better this spring after leaving them outside almost all winter.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

The plants are tough and the lack of water seems to be the number 1 killer for mine in this climate. I have a big bog with all my big plants. They are all small. I am moving all my warm sundews into another pot today too. I have them in hanging pots and I can't keep them in anough water. I am hoping a big pot will help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.