Foundation bed landscaping

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

My front foundation bed is 18 feet long by about 3 feet deep. It is edged by sidewalk and foundation in a rigid rectangle. It's a mess and has been for 14 years. We moved here to a new home, unlandscaped and tried to do it ourselves. Didn't work. This picture is how it looks right now.

The bulbs are getting moved where they can wither away in privacy. Left then, will be some clumps of vince - solid green and variegated, and some miserable mums that also need to go.

My house has a straight plain ranch front, white with light gray trim. I live in the woods, meaning woods all the way around the house. The front lawn is maybe 40 feet from the front woods. The rest of the lawn areas (the other 3 sides of the house) are only 10 - 15 feet from the woods. The foundation bed is in front, so about 40 feet from woods. The bed gets afternoon sun. (Faces west).

I wonder if the house needs a more strict formal bed there, even though the foundation plantings around the rest of the house are shaded and very informal/woodsy. Ivy, vinca, holly, ferns, some hosta.

I have been unable to find "foundation bed" pictures online for such a narrow and long strip as mine is. Sure would appreciate links or pics or advice.

Thumbnail by pjadams49417
This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!