Iris swap 2010......What's your fancy????

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

3 Dip stems in water.

Thumbnail by mittsy

4. Shake off excess water and dip stems in Rootone.

Thumbnail by mittsy

5. Use a wooden scewer (stick) to make a hole and insert the stem. Tamp soil down around stems. I use a commercial potting mix that has fertilizer in it. Water, if soil is dry, if not dry, don't water.

Thumbnail by mittsy

6. Put a plastic bag or glass jar over the top and set outside in the shade. I usually put them under the picnic table on the deck. Check in 4 to 5 days to see if you need to water. This process usually takes from 4 to 6 weeks depending on the night time temperatures. I learned this process from my Danish grandfather. He was especially good with cut flower roses.

This message was edited May 14, 2010 4:18 PM

Thumbnail by mittsy

This photo shows my other mock orange bush cuttings. The leaves are larger. The process is the same.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

mittsy,
Thank you so much, I was unaware that Mock Orange would root this way.
Thanks again,
April

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

BUMP

Santa Ynez, CA

the iris swap is closed for this year, maybe another one next:)

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm in the Iris Swap :)

I just bumped this up so everyone can list their preferences.

The person I'm supposed to send to hasn't posted their likes yet and they have nothing listed in their trades list.

Santa Ynez, CA

well if people don't specify then don't worry most all of us like a surprise

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I never met an iris I didn't like. So whoever is sending to me, just have fun and send whatever you have alot of extras off and I will be delighted to give them a new home.

Santa Ynez, CA

that's the spirit.....I have received some really awesome stuff that was either a mistake or given to me and I have been pleased to have them, like puccini, I got that in a bag of "scraps" and I love this iris

Thumbnail by makj
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

makj

That is a beautiful iris. I love it.

I love the surprise of seeing what color the iris is when it blooms. So I even like NOIDs.

Santa Ynez, CA

I bought a few iris at the hardware store and they turned out to be wrong, but a few of them were absolutely beautiful iris, don't know what they are, it has been hard to identify them, but love them just the same.

Your bumping up the thread reminded me to check on the Mock Orange cuttings to see how they are doing. One was moldy so that one was discarded but if you look to where the pen cap is pointing you will see two tiny new leaves emerging. I didn't really expect any sign of new growth for a couple of weeks yet, but it's nice to see some early progress. We have a success!

Thumbnail by mittsy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.