Need Palm Ideas for Zone 9b

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

It's official... our Christmas palms didn't make it thru the frosts/freezes we had here in FL. Unfortunately, they are planted next to our pool and it is going to be painful to remove them! Looking past that and looking forward, what would you recommend as a replacement palm that is cold hardy in zone 9b? The palms are next to a pool and must provide that gorgeous tropical look that the Christmas palms did. :-)

I've attached a pic of the Christmas palms before their demise......

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
noonamah, Australia

Do you prefer the feather palms or the fan palms, or will either do? I'd think Archontophoenix cunninghamiana should probably be okay there.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Either as long as they are "pretty". I COULD plant Queen palms, but they are so "normal" around here AND they make a big mess (my other two are about to "bloom" for the first time.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

The Archontophoenix cunninghamiana requires lots of water... something we don't have a ton of here although we are surrounded by it and we are on water restrictions year round. I found two separate entries for it in Plantfiles?????? One references hardiness at zone 10a, but the other shows 9b as well. It's a VERY pretty palm but I want to be sure to plant something that can handle another winter like the one we just had!!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I only found one entry... what is the second entry you are referring to? Archontophoenix are no more water needy than Adonidia.. in fact, probably much less so. However, they will periodically fry, too, and not do quite as well during a Florida freeze than they do out here (periodically get wiped out in Florida, but have survived here for over 100 years in some instances despite temps going down into the teens periodically)

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51655/ (found this page after searching for Archontophoenix cunninghamiana)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59732/ (found this page searching for Alexander palm). Looks like it has some of the same pics as the other page.... but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info Palmbob. I'm looking for something a little more hardy for this area. The Syagrus romanzoffiana, Bismarckia nobilis, and Phoenix canariensis all did well and seemed to thrive in our lower temps, but wouldn't really fit in near the pool. Well, the Syagrus romanzoffiana would but I already have two not quite so close to the pool and I don't want anymore of them. The "double" Adonidia were so pretty there!

Cocoa, FL(Zone 9b)

Alexander palms are less cold hardy than the Adonidias. All the Phoenix palms and the Bismarckia nobilis survived the cold will minimal damage as did the Queen palms. A lot of the fan palms are cold hardy, but aren't as pretty as the Adonidias. Pindo palms are good for this area; they're a blue-green color, Butia capitata. White Birds of Paradise are tropical looking, grow as tall as a palm tree and are damaged by cold but can recover. I live in Port St John and work in a garden center in Titusville.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey leschats! Glad to see a local on Dave's Garden!! I like the Pindo but don't think they would look well in this position... same with the bismarckia and I already have three multiple phoenix roebellinis and want no more thorns!! LOL I'm hoping I don't have to go with Queen palms but I'm determined to get a more zone friendly palm this time. The Canary Island Date Palms did REALLY well.... in fact they thrived in the cold temps... not a mark on them (my neighbor has three young ones). However, not sure they would even fit in this location. There's room for the tall skinny palm... not sure about the more robust palms.

Which garden center? I try to stay out of the gc's because I never leave with much money.... occasionally I let myself wander thru.

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

How about X Butiagrus nabonnandii. I don't know if they're locally available there. I don't think I've ever seen one here for sale.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60821/

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmmm pretty! Haven't seen them available here, but I haven't specifically looked for them. Thanks for the input!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi, I haven't posted on this thread before but think I might be able to make a contribution or two and am always ready to learn. I want to thank Palm Bob for all of the posts on Plant Files. I have used that information for some of my MG presentations.

I'm in the Tampa area and we got hit hard by last winter's chill. My Archontophoenix cunninghamiana was about 12 feet tall and looked like it had survived the cold with only leaf burn. Then winds from a thunderstorm snapped the trunk in half about 3 feet below the crown so I assume undetected freeze damage played a major roll. It suffered leaf burn every winter and took most of the summer to recover, never looking like it could and should have. Anyway, here are some suggestions:

Livistona decipiens (now decora) - beautiful and bullet proof.
Livistona rigida - Attractive reddish fronds when young. Will take down to 25 degrees.
Nannorrhops ritchiana - More like a shurb to 12 feet, Silvery foliage. Very hardy.
Beccariophoenix alfredii - Looks like a coconut palm. Hardy to 25 degrees.
Brahea brandegeei - Like a small Washingtonia that keeps its leaf bases.
Butiagrus nabonnandii - A hybrid that varies from plant to plant. Hardy to 19 degrees.
Copernicia alba - Attractive trunk, blue/silver foliage. Very nice palm to 24 degrees.
Phoenix rupicola - Small date palm, graceful and tidy. Hard to find but worth it.
Phoenix theophrasti - Beautiful silvery fronds but very hard to find. Hardy to 15 degrees
Phoenix sylvestris - Great fit for your needs and easy to find. Hardy to 15 degrees.
Sabal uresana - Like a Sabal palmetto with silvery-blue leaves. Hardy to 15 degrees.
Trachycarpus latisectus - Clean trunk and attractive yellow flowers. to 24 degrees.

I hope this helps. By the way, if you find a Phoenix theophrasti, let me know where.

Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.