What is going on in N Flrida #6

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

It is way past time to start a new thread.

Anyone from anywhere is welcomed to jump in.

This thread also covers south eastern Ga.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084702/#top

Thumbnail by wren107
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm going to re-post about the Royal Purple Hibiscus just incase others would like the info =D

I know Sandy I'm evil ... I too don't have much more room & I really don't need one ... I just really would like to have one ... lol =D The one gallon container they'll be a smaller plant.

****************************************************************************************************
Here is the Re-posting ... sorry to repat Sandy ...

********* Just talked to the people at the Plant Ranch ... The Leon Lavender Delight does come in the 1 gallon planters. They only order from Monrovia once a month ... Call and get put on the "wish list" for this plant ... and they will call you when it comes in.

Now they were telling me that it's a hybrid hibiscus its an Alyogyne. Since its from Monrovia ... more than likelly they will run between 15 to 20 each. There is no price listed as of yet for the one gallons since they do not have any in yet ... only for the 5 gallons at this time. http://www.monrovia.com/search.php?query=alyogyne Monrovia offers 3 different ones.

For anyone who wants to be put on the wish list for this plant ...Here is Plant Ranches # (904) 223-4546... please note they do not ship plants.

I have already been put on the wish list for at least one. The sooner you are added the more of them they'll order ... also if you goto the Monrovia Website ... most plants that are listed on the Monrovia site can be ordered through plant ranch if you call them and ask. They are open on Sundays.

PS... If your local nursery can not get this plant d-mail me. =D

***PS*** this is not an advertisment ... this is just factual information.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lori it truly was a blast =D Gotta do it again. I'd love to do one ... But I have a jungle to contend with especially in the back yards! Stuff is growing what seems like a foot a day back there ... My very back yard has turned into woods again ... lol ... One of these days I'll host one .. lol

Very pretty & peaceful pic Sandy

I'm officially on "Bed Rest" Today ... so, I'll be on here today to annoy all of you ... eheheheh lol

Have a Great day everyone

Brandy

Jacksonville, FL

Thanks for the new thread Sandy!!! The other was getting VERY lenghthy. I have been in the gardens since 7 am. getting some planting done. I have all my goodies from yesterday planted, some brugs and various plants that did come back from the roots that were in the GH. Still some survivors to plant. (and hoping more come back!!!)
I am taking a break and heading out to do some errands, then try to get some more items planted. Then on to the beds that need drastic weeding and maybe stick a few plants in those beds. That will NOT get completed today--too many weeds!!!

I will plan another get-together at my house in the fall when cooler weather should be here and I will have alot to share.
I will try to give better notice than the last 2 spur-of-the-moment ones I had last year! LOL!

Happy Gardening!!! Enjoy the cooler temps today!

Linda

Brandy I wish I could do the bed rest, Just get back from taking DM to the beach to watch the waves. Ankle is not happy. Later we wll go out to dinner.
Next 2 days are mine!!!!

Sandy

I spent all day yesterday in the garage cleaning, throwing, and donating to my churches bazaar on the 15th. I was exhausted and my sciatic nerve was killing me when I went to bed. slept with hubby's tens unit on. I wish I could have been there, but we started at 0700 and finished at around 8:30 in the evening.

Brandy I'll call you. I might be able to get to your house sometime tomorrow or Tuesday.

Darla

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Any ideas on what the ID of this is?

Thumbnail by gardenglory

Hi All - Have any of you tried to use shade cloth to extend our veggie season? Even though today is cool and lovely, I can practically watch my chard wilt. Is there anything that we can grow and eat besides okra, sweet potatoes and limas when we hit the summer? I always garden again in fall but with the food prices, etc.......well, you know.

I hope to meet some of you real soon. I have some old fashioned four o'clocks coming up and can't wait to see them blooming. My oleanders are just gorgeous today. We are so lucky to live here.

Thumbnail by Aquannie

GG it might be a Mississippi Green Water Snake Nerodia cyclopion there is a brown form. Put Paul would be the one to know if you can find him.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

yea...I Dmailed him right away, then got antsy to let it go. He for sure will know what it is

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

GG, looks like some kind of a rat snake. As long as he doesn't have an arrow head, turn him loose. He'll keep the rodent population down.

Molly

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

Let me chime in on the snake's ID. From the pointed tail and shape of the head, I would say it is not venomous. It might be some kind of python. Maybe Paul will come up with a much better identification. I just hope the snake was not harmed; poor baby.

Sylvain.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

No, its safe and sound, actually I think its already been turned loose, if not, it will be before bed.. Most snakes around here just kinda mind their business, stick their heads up and check you out. This one on the other hand, its very aggresive. Im sure it is non poisionus myself. Only other snake I ever had that chased me like this little thing was a garter snake.

It it is a water snake some of them are aggressive.

Sandy, I saw that Hibiscus at my Dil in Az. It is one of the Malva Hibs I think, not a tropical if I remember right. she let hers die, not a very good plant person!!
Lorine

From what I read it is a kin to the Hibiscus, not a true hibiscus. We are going to get some.

Jacksonville, FL

This is one of my survivors from the winter--the tag says blue hibiscus but it is a purple! Is this similar?? this has odd leaves like a tomato plant (sorta)

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr

you have it!!!!!

gardenglory,

From the looks of that snake---you're lucky you weren't bitten! From the shape of the head & the markings---it's a Water Moccasin--they are extremely poison, aggressive & one of the few snakes that will chase you. Rule of thumb----if you dare to get close enough---round eyes---non poison---slotted eyes---poison!
Used to catch snakes to keep as pets & parents made me study books & books & books on them!
With all the heat we have been having now, they are moving around hunting water & a nice cool place to sleep, so be careful poking under brush or plant shelves without checking first!

Linda,

SOOOO, You've Been Holding Out on Us!!!! LOL!

Jacksonville, FL

Sandy--I got this on ebay last year as a starter plant and it barely survived the winter. It is coming back and has flowered several times. Still very tiny tho. I plan on putting it in the ground soon and see how it does. Will try to find where I got it on ebay.

here it is---- http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-HIBISCUS-PLANT-Alyogyne-/230472333546?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a938b8ea this guy is an excellent seller

This message was edited May 10, 2010 7:59 AM

This message was edited May 10, 2010 8:02 AM

Lori wrong color and head shape for a Water Moccasin

Jacksonville, FL

One of the FCN people told me there was a truckload of plants at OP mall this weekend outside of Sears. I may go check and see if it is still there. If not I may venture up to OP Ace and check out their plants. I have another free-lance design job to get finished today, but will do that when I get back.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Woke up to some pretty daylilies this morning. This picutre was yesterday, brought this one around because I knew I wanted to see it first thing when I woke up today.

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was right, here it is this morning. Hard to get all four in.

Thumbnail by gardenglory
(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Pam, that is beautiful. Name?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Blue Desire

This has the greenist little throat. I have been putting this pollen on everything.

Thumbnail by gardenglory

very nice!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

It doesnt have a name yet. It was an appreciation plant from Nicole Harry. This coming weekend there is a daylily shindig in Apopka. Breakfast at Nicole Harry's and a bar-b-q- at Frank Smiths. This is the plant she is giving to all who come.
As it happens, this past weekend was the daylily regional in orlando, and Tracy went out to see her and bring home a few goodies. She sent one home with us early...o yea baby!!!

http://www.nicolesdaylilies.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=13832&Akey=9A779DKQ
http://franksmithdaylilies.com/

Marion, Ive got my tail between my legs and need to crawl back to the quilting threads lolol...got distracted and Im behind .

Thanks for the link, Linda. I've been looking for a blue Alygone for several years. I will probably bid on the one offered on eBay. Don't anyone else bid and drive up the price! LOL I will share cuttings if I win it and get it to grow. I don't think it is the same cultivar variety that Sandy saw at Plant Ranch (or maybe it is and the seller is playing it smart by not mentioning the cultivar name and then possibly unning into plant patent lawsuits).

Jeremy

They have one very similar to your pam - ok it looks exactly like it but don't know if its the same one- up at Lowe's .... they have started selling daylilies ... some that are not normally sold in the regular nurseries ... Stu bought me a Pandora's Box yesterday for mom's day.
That is a beauiful Daylily!! (the blue desire)

Then last night a dunk driver drove into our front "mulch" bed and got stuck. And she wasn't arrested or anything like that ... I'll have to post the pictures ... A tow truck towed it out yesterday ... This isn;t the first time she has driven through our bed. she is a friend of the neighbors. I'm going to quit planting anything at this rate and I guess going to have to keep calling the cops when she does it and re-position the security cameras to catch her and send it to the DA's office and possibly to a news channel or 2.. I'm gladhas had 16 stuck ... she would've killed someone last night. She had 16 DUI's already. And is still driving drunk and still has her lisc. Most cops let her go becz they can't stop looking at her um .,, boob job... can I say that word on here? She also tore up the neighbor on the other side of me's yard ... What can be done about this kind of thing? besides putting up right rebar in that garden bed ... She already caused a lot of damage to her vette ... We are at a loss at this point.... Any and all suggestions are very welcomed.

I walked up on a snake in my neighbors yard didn;t see it ... at first ... I had kneeled (sp) down to pinch the top of a salvia (annual kind) and before I got my hand to it I heard a hissing and look up and there is what looked like a black racer looking at me. Of course I moved slowly and got up and took a few steps back. I have some good pictures though =D I'll have to find them. I have no clue what kind of snake that is above.
We have at least 2 snakes in the yard. One that lives under our crepe myrtle and one in the azalea next to it ... I find they like sunning themsleves on the granite.

I will up load pictures of the party within the next day or 2.

Sandy I'm glad to here you have a few days to your self. I'm sorry your ankle was bothering you again. must have been pretty at the beach though =D

HAve a great day all

Great to see you posting on here, Pam. The YTT (B. pauciflora) is still doing well despite our eternal lack of much rain. I am greatly enjoying having it! You mentioned quilting and sewing..... Here's my thread in the Artisans Forum about something to do with fabric work. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1095115/ It must not be a very active forum because my post is still at the top of the list after several days.

Brandy -- sorry about the drunk driver. That must be very frustrating. You can always file a small claims civil suit for damages under $500. I think it only costs about $50 to file and you don't need an attorney. Just fill out the form and submit it, mail a certified copy to the drunken defendant, and then meet her in court (a la Judge Judy format) to plead your case. The court offers mediation as a step prior to the judge actually deciding. Something definitely needs to be done.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

OK--I drove out to OP and was thinking maybe the plants were gone. WRONG!!! They have a ton of gorgeous plants!!
I got an Allamanda, a Dipladenia, Mona Lisa Lavender, Plumbago, Dianthus, and several Sun Coleus. I should not have spent the money, but I needed something to lift my spirits today. Now I have to get them all planted!!!!

Pam, not to worry. Several of us have been absent as the yard calls louder than the sewing machine does this time of year. Just don't forget we are over there. LOL

Back to my yard today!!

Today, my yard called louder than the paint brush!
Took today off to get some more of my long neglected yard work done---still have lots of plants that need to see ground & IF I can muster the energy---trim some trees.

My Bad---on the snake--was going more by the shape of the head than the markings---someone really pissed that snake off!!!!! It's a Garter Snake--forgot that they could puff their cheeks up to look like an adder when mad!
Most of the snakes we see here in our yard are Glass Snakes, which really aren't snakes but legless lizards. Rescue about ten a year from our cats & know of about three permanent nests here in our yard. Did find a Water Mocasin in my compost pile once---I almost stepped on it before I knew it was there---needless to say---the pile is gone!

Brandy,

I'll give Debbie a call & get the true name of the plant you got at the party.

Gotta Go! Yard work is calling & need to get to it before it gets too hot!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Good morning....

I have to make an important announcement, please...I posted on the RU threads, too, so all will see....

Due to what I consider a crisis situation beyond my control, I have to cancel the round-up here on Saturday. I am so so sorry. This was very important to me and still is - I hope it will be possible to do it another time, maybe in the fall.

I am so sorry.

:-(

No problem It will give my seedlings time to get big enough.

Sandy

Jacksonville, FL

I don't know which Passie this is but I love the pink in the bloom!!!

Jacksonville, FL

I have a nice fat bud on the newest Brug released---Lizzie! Hybridized by Liz Fricht and grown by Fred Sommers. It is a triple Pink and I am impatiently waiting on the bloom

Jacksonville, FL

Also have some very nice brug crosses starting to germinate--hoping for a real prize out of them as well. I am going to try to do some hybridizing this year as well and see what develops. They will have to be trialed for a few years before decision made to release any.

ok the city has been up to its non recyclng self again ... If any one needs any 3 gallon to almost 5 gallon planters please let me know ... we picked up about 100 or 2 yesterday and today ... ok Stu did the picking up of them I was just with him ... no land fill for these planters. If ya want some d-mail me & I'll give ya my # & we'll make a plan for when ya can come get some of them. I'll have to take some pictures ...

I think what I'm going to end up doing is stu put up the picture on fox 30 web site ... and they e-mailed him back and they want to do a story on it. We don't know they ladies last name or where she lives but we do have pictures of her lisc plate. All we know is that its a friend of our neighbors. Our neighbor has told us that she is willing to pay for damages ... Stu told her what she can get us some rail road ties so when she is drunk she can run into something she has paid for ... but I wonder what to do ... its kind of a moral thing now ... If she hadn't gotten stuck in our flower bed she may have killed someone. So the question now is do we send fox 30 the lisc tag number and let them go from there ... I know they can get all that info ... And stay annonyamace (SP) ??

Linda,
I hope you when get a great prize & awards for your Angel. I will have some Miss Emily Mckenzie cutting hopefully in a few months for you... same with the pure white one ... The Isabella one should do really well for you... Isabella comes back strong after the winter die back. We lefy a few in the ground and let the pain in the hiney ground cover grow up around the base of them and they all did better than expected... no need to cover this one up or dig up in the winter.

I posted pictures of the party in the Concrete Creations party forum ...

Lori, I know she called it white velvet. Jeremy I'd the tech name for me =D Thank you.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31747/
I do love fuzzy plants =D they make me giggle ... lol

today Stu was out back in our over grown back yard doing stuff .. I decided I was going to go look at the one flower bed that I have back there ... My dumb butt went to pick up the lid off the ground of the smoker ... And there is a snake under there ... It of course took me by suprise and we just sat there looking at each other for a moment and it raised its head at me and I looked at his body and then put the lid back on him .... It of course was a garden snake probably a garter ... You know I think I just need to keep my happy butt inside in bed for a bit longer ... lol ... Everytime I go outside and I bend or squat there is a snake ... I just don't need to run into a rattle snake like we did last year ...
What is the difference between a water mocasin and a black racer ... I was told they look very similar ... I know the water mocasin has a white mouth.

Brandy there is a clear difference start with the head A Cottonmouth has a large head with a typical poison shape, kind of like a arrow with fat cheeks. The Racer head is small and no cheeks. And the body, A cottonmouth the body looks thick and chunky, the Racers is thin and looks long and lean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.