Remove fruit on very young trees?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

My beautiful apple tree "Anna" has produced its first fruit in its 2nd year. Aren't we supposed to remove fruit so that tree focuses on developing elsewhere rather than using energy on developing fruit? Here is my baby apple, not quite the size of a lime yet. This is a low chill var. for warmer climates.

Thumbnail by vossner
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

You are supposed to remove them the first few years to allow the tree to put its energy into establishing itself. I always leave one on my young fruit trees for inspiration. Did you plant it in full sun or early sun/afternoon shade?

lee

it's in full sun all day

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Do you have any heat related issues?

lee

i don't understand the question, can u be more specific

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Does the apple appear to suffer when the heat gets really high like it did last summer? Texas is known for slowly killing apples over 2-3 years with the excessive heat we get here. I planted an Anna this year with high hopes since it was developed in Israel. I planted it with a Dorsett (developed in Bahamas) and Ein Shemer (Israel). How did yours fare last summer with the killer heat?

w/ one little baby apple produced just weeks ago, I haven't been able to discern any issues. Tree was planted last year and I was impressed at how well it withstood our 2009 heat.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

If your tree is otherwise healthy and vigorous I don't see how you could resist letting just one apple develop. That first apple will be kind of like Christmas when you were a kid. I know the usual advice and I follow it, but just one apple? Don

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.