Chenopodium Epazote or what???

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I received a start of this plant from an Hispanic woman. She called it Epazote and uses it as such in cooking beans, soups and stews.

In researching it, I find no photos or reference to the red stems or coloration on the foliage.

The Chenopodium photos I find all look like this http://www.missouriplants.com/Greenalt/Chenopodium_ambrosioides_page.html

Does anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thumbnail by podster
Middleburgh, NY

The epazote I have grown hasn't been red. But, you never know what different varieties are out there. To me, epazote reeks of kerosene! Ack! Gag! Does your plant permeate of petrol Podster?

It has that odor only when the foliage is massaged. That odor is a typical identifier I had read.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Mmm. Sounds tasty....

It sure is a handsome plant.

I'm thinking it is an acquired taste and there are many warnings to use in minimal quantities.

The odor is rather like looking at a snake when you can't take your eyes off it. I keep rubbing and smelling the leaves... hasn't changed yet. LOL

The foliage is pretty on this one. I am comfortable with the ID but I'd sure like to know if this is a different cultivar.

Farmington, NM(Zone 5a)

there are lots of chenopodiums. like hundreds. looks to me like it could be an amaranth, which several varieties do have red stems and green leaves, and is used heavily as greens in native and hispanic food here in new mexico. but there are so many and they have so few distinguishing features that i wouldn't hazard a guess as to which one, if it is an amaranth. (sorry)

Thank you Cerridwenn ~ can you tell me if the Amaranths have the same kerosene odor as Chenopodiums?

Phoenix, AZ

This site shows a plant that looks a lot like yours. http://www.mofga.org/Default.aspx?tabid=846 It describes the plant as "... green, multi-branched, reddish-stemmed plant..." I think yours looks terrific with those reddish leaf ribs. I think I need to grow this plant, too.

Farmington, NM(Zone 5a)

podster - i didn't notice any odor of kerosene in the amaranths i've grown or seen grown. do they smell like that all the time or only when you bruise the leaves? oh i see you sort of already answered that above - looks like you have to rub the leaves to smell it.

well how about this - my amaranths had leaves that felt sort of like rubbing thin paper between your fingers. dry and they don't bleed much if you rip them. the wild chenopods here have thicker leaves that have more moisture in them. maybe that will help?

Thanks for your response on the amaranth foliage. I have grown one type of amaranth but didn't recall a fragrance from it. I am a plant toucher and smeller and will tear or bruise a leaf just to smell it.

That is a good link ~ tomatofreak. I suspect that is closest in appearance to the one I have. Interesting to read it is a taste between weak anise and strong licorice. I like the licorice flavors and that may be my fascination with the odor on the Epazote. I appreciate your sharing it.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

pod-I think it is Epazote. If it is it will soon have a gazillion seeds on it.

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

I cannot find a reference either to the colored stem or leaves but if it has a petroleum smell and a Mexican lady used it in cooking I'll bet it is a var. of Epazote.
Ahem----wish I had some seeds from it--(hint-hint)

Yep... I read where it will reseed prolifically. I was intending to keep the flowers pruned but think I may need to let one stalk bloom and seed just for folks like you...

LOL If and when it does, you're on the seed list.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks
If it's Epazote keeping the flowers pruned will be a full time job---- :)

Uh Oh, maybe I should send you the whole plant and you can send me some leaves now and again... lol

The Epazote plant is in bloom. Not sure what color the solid green plants blooms are but this one is pretty albeit tiny.

Thumbnail by podster

The foliage has a pretty color when new. It unfurls...

Thumbnail by podster
North, TX

I had some epazote growing here but I didn't find out what it was until after I pulled it up. It had such a strong odor like turpentine. But then when I found out it was epazote, I wished I hadn't pulled it all up and I've been watching to see if some of the seeds spread for new plants. Haven't found them yet.

But yours is so much prettier!! And the flowers are much prettier too! Can I please be on your seed list? ^_^

Thumbnail by Allwild
North, TX

I did think it was a pretty plant.......that is until it started to flower!

Once again, yours is a prettier plant.

Thumbnail by Allwild

Absolutely you can be on the seed list, although I may lose my gardening friends when these plants consume their property. From all I have read, there will be no shortage of seeds or volunteer plants. I had seen your request for an ID on your Epazote in the ID forum. That was why I was curious if this was or wasn't the same plant.

Those plants rather favor what we used to call pigweed and we would uproot it too. Now I wonder...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.