Low growing plant to trail down a wood retaining wall

Zirconia, NC

I have wood retaining wall-2 1/2 to 3 1/2 feet tall. Asphalt (driveway) is at bottom, so plants would have to "trail" down from top. Would like to cover wall. Multi-colored roses are on top-so I need something to be low in height, so as not to block roses. I want to cover wall from top to bottom if I can. To not take away from my roses, I was thinking of something green or that flowers in white. But, I want a plant that looks nice all year. I know some trailing or creeping plants only want to grow up-these would have to trail down. I live in Zirconia, NC (western mountains near Asheville). My zone is 7. This wall is long, so I need something that I don't have to cover to protect from frost. The wall faces East and gets sun for most of the day. Little late afternoon sun as woods in back of wall protect from Western sun. I have been looking at Candy Tuft or Juniper. But what about trailing thyme, etc. I've thought of Phlox, but the wall is high-don't think it would grow long enough to trail the full height of wall. I don't like ivy. Hope someone has a suggestion. Thanks!

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!