Plant propagation part XV based on my own experience

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hello to everyone and welcome to those new to our little chat. Plese feel free ask anything, as we try to keep it simple and fee l/we should always pass along our own knowledge. Lurkers are also welcome. Please check in if possible I would hate to loose someone in one of these switches.

we came from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084466

As with all of the threads I stat I like to welcome anyone new to our little corner of Daves Garden. Please take the time to read all the past threads. Most of them have some great information in them. There are no dumb questions except for the 1 thats never asked.

The pic is of Wanda's Memorial day lily

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Soooooo pretty. I love day lillies. No place for them here. I am getting into begonias now. I really like them inside and outside. Anyone have any?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JB, are you collecting the Rex begonias? They are so decorative. The Angel Wings are a big family too. But these guys all take up a lot of room inside. I love the tuberous. Had some nice ones in my deck containers last year but DH decided to help me and emptied all of my containers onto the compost pile last fall. There went the begonias I had had for a half dozen years. Oh well, they were getting too darned big anyway. LOL

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

JB:
I do have a few I think cracklin rose is one. I will try to look to see who else has survive the winter neglect. Begonia's are a good crop to grow. I know they can be tricky. about the time you figuire they are a breeze one decides to freak out on you. I guess that could be said of all plants.
Ouch ... I never try to help like that without checking in. Sorry to hear you lost them all. so who did you have?
Hostas came in today so I am going to be busy planting and shipping next week. the mini's are so cute. especially Teeny Weeny Bikini. Pics tomorrow
Dave

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Ok test time...
what is it?????

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

peony?

Jeanette

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

The Tarantula, Piranha thing, I have never heard? What is it really, in regards to those creatures? Waste from them, like Bat guano or something?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

It is in some fertilizer mix that Dave uses. I never asked what you did. Maybe I will google it. LOL Wonder what I would get.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Here is the ebay link to it and pirahana at the same store.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tarantula-Beneficial-Bacteria-25-Grams-/110497973493?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Fertilizer_Soil_Amendments&hash=item19ba3144f5

I just know it makes all my roots jump up and grow faster and fuller with little effort. I don't know if its something that can be used 1 time or needs to be used consistantly. I tend to back off of it in the summer as I have my hands full watering all the time. now with everyone on timer I might try it again as a 1x a week application to see if it helps.
I am also a fan of fulvic acid and gibb acid. its something about the combination that makes sense to me. I am sure there are different choices to get the same results. I would love to hear about anyone elses success with what addative.
Dave

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

YAHOO! JUST PASSED A SURPRISE NJ STATE INSPECTION OF THE GREENHOUSE..NO MEALYBUGS ON THE GARDENIAS THAT HE COULD SEE. LOL

I was out in the Christmas Tree Field mowing grass on the tractor when he pulled in. I came back to the house and was I surprised. I hate when he does that. I have almost nothing but new cuttings in the GH now and so he checked all the stock plants outside and some of the field stuff. I think he had time to kill or something. He was too thorough. But, at least we have a clean bill of health again and now I am good until next year.

Hope you are all enjoying the weather. It is in the 80's here today but the wind is so strong I could barely keep from getting stuff in my good eye while mowing. I hate that.

Talk later. I am tired and need to rest before I start dinner. Hugs to all. JB

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

JB good news indeed.

Stay off the tractor when it windy....not good.

Janet

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wonderful JB. Congratuations. Big relief for another year. Especially no mealy bugs. LOL

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Thats great news JB. its always nice to get a clean bill of health.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm interested in people's experience with Superthrive (or other similar product) as a transplant aid. I've read it's great, and also that it does nothing. Any opinions out there?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I use it every time I transplant something. Have for years.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I have tried similar products and never noticed a difference but It was the time I was starting out with my mix for seedlings so I am not sure my asessment is real acurate as I like to find something that works and stick to it. I would say try a small amount of it and see for yourself.
What are you trying to use it as? a growth aid or an addition to for propagation?
There are a lot of different products out there that I am sure do the same or similar things to super thrive as well as the ones I like to use. The trick is to get a product you like and stick with it. I have a lot of links and info just let me know what you are trying to do and I will give you some options to look at.
I hope someone has a good report on super thrive or at least has tryied it.
Dave

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Jeanette: does it work well for you?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Duhh if you use it for years... please excuse my denseness

Pawleys Island, SC

Hi Everyone, I am still in the land of the living although the past 5 months it has been questionable. I have missed you all. It is time for me to start cutting a few things, so I plan to get started soon. I am still seeding and potting things that I grew last year, but I am almost done. i just wanted to check in and say hi. Hope all is well, Linda

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I would say if Jeanette swears by its gold to me... she does a fantastic job with her stuff.
IMHO
Dave

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hi Linda: I was kind of curious about you but knew you had your hands full. So what are you planting or potting up??? Inquireing minds want to know...lol

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Whoops ~ posted on the wrong thread...

This message was edited May 7, 2010 11:57 AM

Now, somehow, I took it off the wrong thread...

I have been using Superthrive for years as well, and I add it to my humic acid and kelp for a good starter fertilizer for transplants.

Many years ago (over 20), when I had a small retail nursery, we always used Superthrive when the bare roots came in, as we sold trees and roses and soaked them right away in the mixture until we could get them all heeled in as large orders all arrived at once...we never lost a single plant using this method, and people would come from miles around to get our selection.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

evelyn, I am interested in where you buy Superthrive and have you used it on evergreens
in the past? All our Christmas Trees come in bareroot and that may be a good thing to soak them in along with the water when they arrive.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JB I would think you would be doing this automatically. Superthrive is a Vitamin B for stress. It helps the plant thru transplanting. I used to use a product called "upstart". up-start. It was a vitamin B. 12 I think. I would buy it by the quart. Well now it appears, like everything else that comes down the pike, that someone must have bought them out since you don't find that any more. They now bottle it in 2 and 4 ounce. I guess you can also get it by the quart and gallon. I think 60 or more dollars. Not sure. And call it Superthrive.

I just bought a 4 ounce bottle for $10 at Walmart. I didn't think they sold it, but there it was. I think I paid $7 at Home Depot but that could be that they were lowering their price to get rid of it as they told me they were not going to carry it any more. Of course they were not in the loop to know why. That could have been just that particular HD too.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

JB: a liquid nutrient soak would be a good thing to help your baby trees get a better start as evergreen needled trees do have their share of issues. IMHO
sounds like super thrive is a hit. I am also curious as to a good source for an alternative to my high $$$ seed solution.
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I forgot to use my stuff The Seedman told me to soak my planting mix in before putting my seeds in. Wonder if it would be any cheaper and/or better for you Dave?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

if you can send me a link I can take a look. I really like the pirahana and terantula results. hmmmm what to do decisions decisions...lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, if you like what you have, keep it.

I have found Superthrive at most retail nurseries, as well as HD and they are available wholesale as well, since I carried it at my nursery. If you have a resale license, you might obtain it at a better price wholesale, since you would need a much larger quantity, than I would need at this time.

It is much more than a simple B complex, or B12, as it contains many more things. When I was in the Master Gardeners program, they said that studies proved that B12 alone did nothing for transplant shock.

For information regarding this product, and I am in no way paid by them to promote their product, go to http://www.superthrive.com

I think that they will offer you a free sample as well.

http://www.superthrive.com/gallon.html

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Evelyn if that is true then why do people get vitamin B12 shots from the dr. for nerves and stress?

Jnette, I do not know the answer to that question.

I was just relaying the information from the Master Gardener program. It may have different effects on people and plants, but to be honest, I do not know.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thank you very much. I am not sure we could afford to spend that kind of money, but I will look into it. We would have to raise the price of the trees. This year with all the rain we did not loose one tree in the Spring Planting. But, we get them in the ground as quickly as possible. Sometimes by the light of the moon. LOL

I took a beating on the Daffodils this year and now it looks like the Iris are going to take a good beating today. It is 75 deg. and a cold front is coming thru and the darn wind is like Nor'easter strength. The Iris are just laying over and some are breaking off. They were just starting. The wind is whipping up over the field and all the blooms in the field are just taking a real shot. They are all new plants I put in last year and some were blooming, which surprised me. Here is a pic of my old stock plant that is between the GH and the Feed Barn, it is now mostly laying over. I could cry. They are so heavy anyhow and now this. The next pic will show you how they looked before it started to blow.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

This plant blooms from early May thru November. I had blooms in the snow this past year. It is about 5 years old and just a beauty. It is protected from most weather, but the wind hit is hard today. Big time. Oh well. It will come back.

The Jap Maple in the field are just bent over at an unbelieveable angle. I hope they do not snap off.
We lost two miniture ones to the cold and snow.

Thumbnail by JBerger

OK, Jnette...

I did a little bit of looking up that topic that we were discussing, and I made a few errors on that.

They use Vit B12 shots for humans, and Vit B1 - Thiamine for use as a guard against transplant shock.

Most of the results that were shown were advertising their products and/or did not give the information that we had discussed, so I just found a few things on the subject. One of them, which was quite old, was talking about a B1 complex, which may involve other items that may be synergistic, so I did not include that link. Maybe you can find some info on that topic as well, as I had not really put much into research on this topic. I really thought that there would be more information on this, but maybe I did not look in the right place. Here are the results of my findings, and still one of them is mentioning its own product:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_n5v188/ai_12252342/
http://www.nevadagardens.com/starnursery/page01/tip%201027.htm
http://bananas.org/f312/vitamin-b-1-myth-8774.html
http://louisvillebonsai.org/post/2009/07/Vitamin-B.aspx

I hope this information helps.

Evelyn ☺

P.S. I must not be very good at copying links as many of them did not work...

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

JB: Are you doing Japanese maples in the field as in field grown for sale or are they just something you are trying?
Evelyn the link I tried worked fine. I think we all apreciate the effort and time on getting the info for us, I know I apreciate it
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Evelyn, I don't feel like reading these. The proof is in the eye of the beholder. In other words, if I want it to work, it will. If I am trying to prove it won't, then it won't.

I looked at a couple and they were not using it the way I do, so who knows? I use it as a transplant for shock. They were spraying the plants with it all thru the growing period. Well, that is what fertilizers are for. To me any way. Once the plant is growing you use fertilizer.

Yes, JB, that would be expensive. Especially if you are not losing any trees the way you are doing it, why would you even contemplate using it? I thought it might make the difference in whether or not you were losing some.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like it is an expensive, probably unnecessary experiment potentially, as stated above.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks all for your input. I am looking at it as a bare-root soak for transplant shock, so it sounds like it will be a good thing for me to try. I will pick up some today, as I'm expecting some mail-order plants this coming week. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.