What veggies or fruits are you growing this year?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 276 votes:

I love my fresh salad greens!
(4 votes, 1%)
Red dot

I have small fruit trees or berry bushes. (what kinds?)
(12 votes, 4%)
Red dot

I grow tomatoes. (do you prefer any particular variety?)
(54 votes, 19%)
Red dot

I like to grow beans and peas.
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

I enjoy fresh herbs snipped from my garden.
(25 votes, 9%)
Red dot

All of it! I plant anything that my family and friends will eat!
(146 votes, 52%)
Red dot

I don't grow edibles. (tell us why)
(33 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I even grow stuff my husband doesn't eat, like squash and eggplant. There's always someone I can push extra squash off onto!

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Hello All,
I've a 1250 sq ft patch for asparagus, beans, beets, brussels sprouts, carrots, eggplant, herbs, kohlrabi, onions, peppers, potatoes, raspberries, rhubarb, squash, strawberries, and tomatoes. Did I forget anything? Oh, yes...DANDELIONS!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, hey, I mix the dandelion greens in with my salad greens! I attempt to grow tomatoes...have to grow them in a container in the dog pen so the critters don't get them, but there's not really enough sun. I think I got four last year, lol.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

'maters and beans and herbs, oh my!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I need to eat more vegetables, but I have some kind of a mental hang-up with insects on the plants...especially anything like a caterpillar or wormy looking thing. It's something I can't seem to get over....not afraid of bugs, I have pet snakes and even had a tarantula for a while...some kind of hang-up with the vegetables though.

Saint Petersburg, FL

If it's edible, and I can grow it in Florida, I grow it, or at least I try.

Tomatoes, Eggplants, Peppers, Herbs, Berries, Citrus, Avocado, Papaya, Bananas, Pineapples, Apples, Peaches, Figs, Grapes, and the list goes on and on.

Nothing finer than heading out into the yard to harvest. And what I can not eat myself, I share with friends and co-workers.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ALL o baby o baby. Salad greens are sown and up. I only grow cold hardy varieties so they can do snow and spring freezies. This year I am trying mustard too cuz spinach hates me. I have a nanking cherry and a red currant for fruit. I leave all the fruit for the birds. Note to all: chickadees get tipsy on fermenting cherries so watch where you step if you do this cuz they stagger around on the ground in the fall (WAY too funny). I grow lots of heirloom tomatoes - early varieties. Beans - red runner cuz they have prettiful flowers. Peas, while I believe I am a professional at frying them on the south side of our house, I'm still tryin. Herbs - I am a Herbie with way too many to list. LUV herbs. Fresh in summer and I dry, freeze and donate to shelters late in the season. Growing potatos in containers this year. My mission: I am convinced I can grow artichokes. mmmmmm artichokes. I have asparagus but they are mostly just nice as ferny things. I would grow broccolis and caulifleurs if I had more room. Perhaps when we riiiiiip out the driveway. Methinks broccolis would look luvly with dahlias ^_^

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I used to grow a nice vegetable garden but had to stop for the past few years due to knee and back injuries. I hope to do so again soon. I do have a few apple and peach trees along with grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and other things of that nature that return each year once planted.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

don't grow edibles.. .can get them at the market. Edibles compete too much for every inch of valuable space I have to grow my favorite 'non-edibles'.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ROFLOL @ palmbob. Big surprise ^_^

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Blackeyed peas and butter beans! (Which, curiously, you can't get at the market here, although it's not uncommon for them to sell sabal...)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

The hubby is the veg gardener in our dynamic duo, but he's overseas at the moment. I'm happy with two tomato plants (cherry and patio) and strawberries. I also do herbs, but many of those are planted for the caterpillars (rue, fennel, parsley, dill).

Next year will be a different story - there is already a design plan for a major veg and fruit garden! I'll have to learn a thing or three about canning, I suppose...

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

no edibles here. I can get those at the grocery store. My garden is for my flowers!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i picked all of it...simply because they wouldnt combine the tomatoes and berries answer together, LOL! Im growing heirloom cherry and better boy tomatoes, raspberries, and blueberries, and red pepper

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Growing for eats in my garden this year are Hungarian Heart tomatoes and a variety of herbs. This year, I have one HHT planted in an inverted container. As backups I have others growing in the ground.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

For me, it's grow what ever I can. When I have an acre to play with, buying veggies and fruit doesn't make sense. I just can't wrap my mind around paying $1.00 to $2.00 a pound for a cucumber or a tomato or $5.00 for a dozen ears of corn, when I can pick it from my garden and know who handled it and know for certain that it is fit for human consumption.
It's even enjoyable to put up enough caned veggies and fruit to last all winter and until the next harvest.
Nothing against commercial growers and warehouses but we don't need to get ridiculous on prices. Not to mention anything about picking fruit while it is still unripe and it's rock hard and has no flavor, other than the cardboard box it was shipped in. Indeed what or why I garden????????

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Strawberries, Raspberries & Blueberries. - No significant amounts, just a few small shrubs just for fun.

Minneapolis, MN

I'm growing three blueberries (two half-high, one low) in pine bark mulch in pots, a red currant (growing like mad this year), June-bearing strawberries, rhubarb, raspberries, columnar saskatoon. All of these except the rhubarb and raspberries were planted last year. This year I hope to get a cherry bush (western sand or a hybrid), Oregon holly-grape, and maybe kiwis.

In the area of vegetables and herbs (though I voted for fruit), I've got rosemary (two large plants and lots of cuttings — kept over the winter under lights), lemon thyme, chives, spearmint, peppermint, anise hyssop, and variegated basil all in pots. In the front garden there're millions of dill seedlings. There's a sweet potato cutting that will hopefully do well, though I have no idea how to grow it.

All this on a regular inner-city lot.

This message was edited May 4, 2010 2:19 PM

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Hello All,
@Sunshines2day - give things a good wash and dig in - grocery store growers put far worse on their fruits and veggies than butterfly tracks.

@randbponder - I hear you on prices; $2.00 for seed, yes. For one fruit, no. I am an advocate for seed saving and breeding edibles more for quality of flavor, disease/ pest resistance and keeping ability than for looking pretty after being shipped for several hundred miles. I also believe a plant should be able to produce without ridiculous amounts of fertilizes being necessary.

@Erutuon - a garden is where you plant it. Kudos to you! We'd love to see pics of your budding Eden!

Note of interest: all parts of Daylilies are edible, young leaves in spring, flowers are best the day before bloom (I like the yellow ones most) and roots in fall. If you have allergies, do your research first, otherwise enjoy!

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I'm growing orange, grapefruit, lemon & tangerine trees. Also blueberry bushes and tomatoes. Tomatoes are Early girl, better boys, bush boys, and grape tomatoes. Everything is brand new (just planted this year) I hope I reap some tasty fruit and tomatoes. Everyone keep their fingers crossed :-)

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

this will be my first year to truly have a veggie garden: tomatoes, green bell pepper, red pepper, hot peppers, cabbage, yard long green beans, KY wonder beans, 2 kinds of corn, tomatoes with marigolds between them, white onions, purple onions, garlic, rhubarb, asparagus, squash, can't remember more, but I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

Wish me luck. The guy I bought this garden from said you can grow 'anything' in it. We'll see, since I'm the novice!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Other than some low light loving houseplants, I cannot garden for the next year or two as we are living in an apartment here in Korea. The veg & flower gardens in my imagination are flourishing!

Germantown, OH

If I had time & space I'd grow veggies. Flowers are my passion.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

temafilly; yes on no or very little fertilizer. I use grass clippings, leaves, horse manure and almost anything that will compost. When I burn brush the wood ash goes in the garden, night crawlers love my garden.
Insect control is done outside of the garden in the grass, also some companion planting works too. Although I do use deer and rabbit repellent and sometimes a little liquid Sven but mostly let things be natural. I can throw away a lot of tomatoes and still be way ahead of shopping at stores. But if you are canning, many blemishes or bad spots can be cut away, without affecting the finished product. Rotted or over ripe is a horse of a different color.
Kudos on seed saving. I save some, on a small scale, mostly for my own use.
Peace & happy gardening.

Thumbnail by randbponder
Columbia, SC

In central South Carolina we have very little top soil -- it's all sand and clay. I have a much easier time growing my bearded iris. And, as many folks have already pointed out, we can get great produce at farmers markets and a lot of organic edibles at the supermarket. I'm so grateful to all of you who pass your extra produce to me in the peak of the growing season. I, in return, amuse my friends and neighbors with my gorgeous iris.

This message was edited May 5, 2010 8:31 AM

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

TY Garden Writers of America, Second Harvest Food Banks, & many caring partners: http://www.gardenwriters.org/html/par/pdfs/10_par_mkt_brochure.pdf

I love having a place to "dig in the dirt" & a chance to make a difference.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I love to try different varities of heirloom tomatoes. I also grow peppers of all kinds, salad greens, beets and eggplant. Herbs in pots.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I chose herbs because I recently transformed my fenced vegetable garden into an herb labyrinth, which is opening up a whole new realm of gardening for me.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

COOL bonehead!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That is lovely bonehead.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I live downhill from a lot of heavy pesticide perfect lawn people, ie down stream every time it rains. So I don't trust my dirt, but I do tomatoes in Earthbox, peppers in a big pot, sometimes lettuce and spinach when I keep it up on a table so the rabbits don't eat it.

I do have basils and thymes which I snip and ad to sauces when nobody's looking.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Quote from carrielamont :

I do have basils and thymes which I snip and ad to sauces when nobody's looking.

Too funny carrie. My DH always asks if I'm going to put 'all that stuff' in things. "Herbs by the handful" is my cooking motto.

South Hamilton, MA

We used to grow veggies--wild animals harvested them. All I can do to help take care of the flower garden. There are wild blueberries on the property & can snack on those.

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Hello All,
Why grow 'em if not to use 'em? I thawed out a squirrel, stuffed it with sage and onion dressing, mixing in fresh Garlic Chives and Parsley, and wrapped the whole thing in fresh Sorrel leaves. No PETA comments, please, I'm a good shot, and believe me, the Grey Squirrel is not in danger of extinction around here.
And a heads up for French Tarragon lovers - mine survived my Z 4 winter and spread to half again what it was last fall. Funny - it's rated Z 5! Push the Zone, people!
@ randbponder - my horse IS a different color - I haven't tried tomatoes on her yet, though. Lovely Asiatic, I see your a newsy kind of guy, too! I can get aged stall mess like nobody's business and have been adding it by the literal truck load since I opened my garden.
Companion planting is a mainstay and the radishes are everywhere because I grow many varieties of beans and squash. As for furred pest control, a chicken wire fence keeps out the small things and our as male lab is kept outside, his scent keeps the deer off.
Chems are a shot or two of fert. to give the young plants a good start, but after that they're on their own. If it doesn't make it, oh well, it's not going to get in the seed box. I do use Ortho MAXX on my flowers, but I'm not eating them so it's OK - no chance of drift either.
This year is the first I'll be trading seed; I figure that a mature squash or tomato produces hundreds of seeds that are viable for years, so why not share?
@ bonehead - allow me to join the chorus of oohs and ahhs! Beautiful work there, and I bet it's a chef's delight!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I haven't really played much with edibles simply because my yard is almost 100% shade. We do have one sunny spot in which there's a complex of 5 massive (MASSIVE!) rhubarb plants growing. It's so large that we call it Audrey II (the carnivorous plant from Little Shop of Horrors). I guess that counts, right?

Temafilly--we live close by. Howdy, neighbor. :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

temafilly my french tarragon is spreading in leaps and bounds too! Year 3 in my garden. They sure got the zone wrong on this herb!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I grow anything and everything edible.

I have fruit trees, blueberry bushes, herbs, a 1/2 acre veggie garden and have been known to add edible flowers to various dishes. (blue violets have more vitamin C than oranges) While I love my ornamentals dearly...the edibles are my favorites.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

wistful, i would grow more if I were home more, companion planting, yup, chuckl, and what I grow feeds Everybody-caterpillars, moles, and us, chuckle. Dau likes color, so all is not strictly for consumption, nor handiness. Rosemary, dill, bronze fennel, a basil of some flavor that wasnt too licoricey, parsley, lemon mint, not lemon verbena, ornamental peppers, and another green pepper, green onions-onion chives, garlic-garlic chives, running onions, tryin a Solar Girl tomato, we see, curry, gotu kola, wild grows blackberries, dew berries, and the list is being added to, chuckl, once a month when I step out of my International (ProStar) not Harvester.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Bark River, MI

I love growing everything and anything, edible, nonedible, whatever! Start almost everything I grow from seed, I can't help myself, I just like seeing it grow!! Also like to push the envelope and grow things that shouldn't grow up here (trying sweet potatoes in a hoop house this year). Maybe it's those long northern winters that just make me want to be surrounded by a jungle of plants while I can.

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.