Apropos of Nothing v.12

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084949/

This thread can't be derailed because there's no topic. HA!

My birthday is Sunday. Other than going out for dinner I have nothing going on. How lame is that. Tracy doesn't want to go to the flower show/plant sale, and I don't want to go alone on my birthday. Hmmph.

I'm a slacker and didn't take pictures of my pretty daffs or tulips... and now it's too late. Drat. So here's a crocus from a while ago:

Thumbnail by the1pony
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Happy Birthday, Pony!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, have a happy day.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Gotta love that Berberis. I think mine is 3 years old this summer and it looks like it's on schedule for a LEAP. I'm going to have to move things around a little, I think.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine's older but it did leap this year.

Redmond, WA

Happy Birthday Pony!!! Don't fret, dinner out is all I usually get too.... ;)

Willow - that is so lovely! Those are rhodies trained as trees behind them, right? Do you happen to know what variety the pink one is?

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Can anybody ID this flower for me? I planted it at my old place & could have sworn it was a mum & that it came from Bluestone Perennials. It was simply swarmed by these butterflies in the fall. Perhaps it's an argyranthemum or anthemis but I CAN'T FIND IT.

The yellow had a delicious pink cast to it.

Thumbnail by summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Ah. Never mind. I believe this is it -- I highly recommend it!

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/MMASTS.html

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow. It's very pretty. The leaves look pretty Chrysanthemum to me.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Happy Birthday Pony! Go to the plant sale and treat yourself to some nice goodies...

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Pony, rather than spending money at the plant sale, you could drive down here, be put up in the spa bedroom, and go home with FREE plants! Just tell me when you'll be arriving.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you Kur. Yes I prune them up so I can have more room to plant stuff. The pink one is "Bow Belles". Blooms well every year.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Thanks, gang. Summer, I would like to visit, (and raid your garden) but the timing isn't good right now. Hopefully it can happen in the not-too-distant future.

If nothing else comes up, I guess I might as well go to the plant show/sale by myself. Better than sitting around at home. But geez. You'd think he could tolerate going with me for my birthday. *grumble*

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Pony happy birthday. Do what I do and when ever you want to have fun go and do it and tell everybody its your birthday. That way you will have many happy birthdays every year. My Karen doesnt want to do much either. I asked her out on a date tonigt and she said maybe tomorrow. Boy what a let down. She was in her pajamas but it was only 6 PM. I feel for her with her RA but gee whiz. Dinner and a movie would have been fun, maybe tomorrow.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Aw, Sofer ... and you have so much energy. Can you catch a flight to Lakewood & take Pony to the flower show? Then you can drive over here & we'll run you ragged for the weekend. I'm taking a clamming class bright & early tomorrow -- join in!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I also have to say that, while Judi no doubt means well, spending money simply to spend money on your birthday isn't necessarily a recipe for feeling good, even if it's on plants, and especially if you're expected to mope through a whole plant show by yer lonesome.

I have a friend who loves to shop & she has a lot of energy & is a ton of fun to be around. When we get together, she always wants to go to the mall & to the quilt shops & loves to take advantage of my expertise at one of the local nurseries. Which is great for me, because I am simply NOT a shopper so usually need clothes & fabric & plants every few weeks, and i tote along a careful list & budget & enjoy the experience because I get to enjoy her company the whole while.

But she recently confided that her family has $18k in credit card debt, which puts our little Saturday shopping sprees into a different light for me.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Also, Sofer, YOU are always welcome here & you & K can have the spa bedroom -- in fact, she can hole up in there in her pajamas & you & I will go clamming & bring her a delicious dinner every night. Then we will all sit by the fire in our pajamas & do jigsaw puzzles, OK?

Soferdig, I hope Karen feels like a movie and dinner tomorrow. I know it's hard sometimes.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thank you for all of your compassion. I would love to go clamming BUT CLAMMING CLASSES? I just went out with a shovel and turned dirt in negative tides. Reach in real fast and get a grip on the neck. Be careful that you don't cut your fingers on the razors. Pretty hard to do but a mention. Oh and cook up the razors in corn meal and bacon grease. Yuuuuuummmmmmmmmmy!
This is the beach I will be on in Yakutat. I'll have to check the tides. Good Idea Summer. Oh yes Karen and I love to sit and do jig saw puzzels especially by the fire.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

On the contrary, Summer. I think what Judi was saying was, "Don't wait for someone else in order to have fun on your birthday." I agree - if you want to go to the show, go. It would be nicer to have the company, but, hey, it's plants!!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Sofer, I can't think of anything I'd love better than to have you & Karen sitting by my fire in yer pajamas. You do know that the Empire Builder goes from Whitefish to Portland, correct?

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Katie, my point was, sometimes you can't manufacture the "fun" for your birthday. Sometimes it just is what it is, and spending money don't help.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I think that's true sometimes, too.

I just took Judi's comment different than you did. My advice would also have been to go to the show anyway (whether I ended up spending any money or not), but maybe that's because I'm often on my own on my birthday, too, and I hate to miss anything just because I don't have company. :-)

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

OK, EVERYONE!!!: And this is not a request. It is a demand. You will ALL come to my house for yer birthdays, to be pampered & loved over. And non-birthday weekends in general. I could use the company.

(Also, I will put you to work identifying all these goofy shrubs I've inherited.)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you!

(Judi)Portland, OR

Thank you katie59. SK, do not misinterpret my words to suit yourself. I was not suggesting that she break the bank, just go do something she really wants to do and if there is a plant she wants, just get it.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

My DH and I don't do presents at all. So I always save and buy something I really want on what I consider my special days.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

AND on another topic, since any topic is allowed - I just had an absolutely fun/funny day! I think I mentioned that I am going to have a pumpkin sale as a fund raiser for my moonwalk entry this year - so I have been growing pumpkins. But as one does, I sowed the seeds, worried that they might not come up, so doubled the number sown. Yup, you guessed it, 100% germination. I ended up with 102 pumpkin plants - not to mention 74 sunflowers. A tad excessive.

Talking with my neighbour, grizzling away about how much I hate left over vegetable plants (I always hear these weensy little plant voices saying "why him, why not me?" - too much anthropomorphism!) - my neighbour reminded me that the big famous garden was having an open day today - lots of plant mad people passing on our otherwise quiet road: put some out to sale.

So for once I did not get wrapped in shyness and dither the opportunity away: that was me, out there at 4 am this morning putting together an impromtu plant stall, my moonwalk t shirt and hat on an upturned rake as a scarecrow mascot, painted sign in place. I was absolutely giddy all day with my 'doingness'. Husband served as finance officer, checking the honesty box - and we just 'closed shop' an hour ago with 80 out of 90 plants sold (I added in a few other vegetables and herbs that would soon become surplus). How cool is that - I am just tickled pink (which is appropriate since it is breast cancer charity that the funds are going to!)

And there is still the pumpkin sale to come! Wonderful. I have been chortling all day - great fun. I am rewarding myself with a long walk tomorrow.

North Lakewood, WA(Zone 8b)

Pony have a fabulous birthday no matter what you do. Do what ever suites your fancy the heck with anyone else, it's your day after all.
Rock it!!!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

LOL, Judi, suiting myself is one of my main hobbies in life.

Laurie, that is FANTASTIC! I can't remember the last time I did something at 4 a.m. -- except, maybe to go to bed. You DO have pix, don't you?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Laurie, that was such a neat thing to do. Congratulations on doing it and on it going so well.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Pony, I hope your birthday is a happy one, whatever you choose to do.. if you stay home and cuddle up with a good book or putter in your garden...if you decide to go to the plant sale on your own or with company...or whatever you want.

Laurie, fabulous job with the pumpkin plant surplus!! And you didn't even have to advertise beforehand. Way to go!

LOL! I can't leave you kids alone for a minute without bickering going on! Sheesh! Settle down, or you're all grounded! :p

Well, I decided to go to the plant show today instead, and I hadn't planned on buying anything, but Tracy handed me money and said "Here- buy some plants!" So I picked up a lovely little red rhodie, and a bunch of dahlia tubers.

When I went out to my truck to leave for the plant show, I noticed that a bag of stuff for Goodwill was inside the cab instead of in the bed where I had it originally- Tracy had borrowed my truck early this morning to haul some steel, so I figured he didn't want to tear the bag. Okay, that's cool... I'll just go throw it back in the bed now... um... wait. My truck bed now has a Linex liner. *boggle* He totally tricked me again! I texted him to tell him I had discovered his sneakiness, and he asked how I liked the new tires. ROFL! I was so busy drooling over the liner that I didn't even notice the shiny new tires! :D

My hubby is sneaky and devious and wonderful. I'm the luckiest girl ever. :)

Oh- and when he gave me the plant money, he also gave me this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/d16b/ Just in case it rained while I was at the plant show... LOL!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh, pony, that is ULTRA COOL. I love the creativity Tracy puts into his pampering of you. I'll bet you felt as if the sun had come out!!!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Well that was just the neatest thing. You are very lucky to have such a -sweet-neat guy. Love the umbrella.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Happy Birthday Pony. What a wonderful day full of surprises!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That iris is a beauty.

Thanks, gang! It has been a fun day of surprises. We just got home from running some errands and eating dinner out, and I was thinking this has been such a fun birthday... but wait... my birthday wasn't today! LOL!

So now I don't care about doing anything tomorrow, since today was so awesome. :)

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

A day to work outside? Or just rest? That can be nice too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.