Netting over Blueberry plants?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is my first year with Blueberry plants and I wan to be prepared with netting for when the berries are maturing. How do you all covr your blueberry bushes? If you have pics that would be great.

Thanks...Crystal

Greensburg, PA

Crystal, I built hoop houses (in a row) and finally ended up covering mine with window screen. Window screen made out of fiberglass reduces the light intensity a bit, but so far has not caused any production problems. I do not cover them until the fruit starts to turn blue. I initially did bird net, but we have wasps and flies here that have learned to bite a hole in the fruits (not to leave out the Jap beetles), so I have been very pleased with the window screen. You can get it pretty cheap in rolls and the window screen will last a long time (many years). Most expensive part of the whole process is getting the clips to hold the screen on PVC pipe.

I'll try to get some pics in the next few days for you.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Yuck...Blueberry maggots! I would love a pic.

Greensburg, PA

Never had maggots - the adults appear to just feed and damaged fruits dry out quickly due to small size. Of course the damaged ones are also discarded. I could never be sure that the flies were doing the damage or just taking advantage of the wasps. Anyway, the screen took care of the problem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.