General Discussions - 2010 - Chapter 31

Dahlonega, GA

Finally, a picture to go with the name . Now I feel like I really met you . Two very sweet looking youngsters .

This message was edited May 20, 2010 4:41 AM

Wake Forest, NC

Lena: great to hear from you!! And yes, finally a pic of you!!

Congrats again on your graduation and good luck in Brisbane!

We'll keep the porch light on for you 'til you get back with us.

Kent

This message was edited May 20, 2010 10:34 AM

Wake Forest, NC

Cukes

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

Squash

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

Peppers

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

Corn - 1st time in bales for me

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

Tomatoes

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

Can't forget my Baby Scuppernong grapes!!

Thumbnail by KentNC
Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Kent, Nice looking "patch" of veggies ya got going there! What army are you supporting with all of that? lol

Mike

Dahlonega, GA

WOW ! That is one beautiful garden . Looks like after all the forms are in , the rest will be easy to keep up . (Except the processing ) .That is going to be a lot of work . How many freezers do you have ?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, I think Kent is the new manager of the local soup kitchen. Or preparing for it on retirement. Nice looking garden Kent. But, this is just the fun part now. Wait till the harvesting begins!!

Lena!! Such a great picture. Cute girls you. It will be wonderful to get you working and settled in a new home so we can expect beautiful garden pictures by Christmas to see us thru the winter.

For all of you newbies, Lena, in New Zealand was gardening with us the last couple of years, and boy did she do wonders!! But then she took some time off to go to college and get her degree, or was it finally degrees Lena? So, now she is out in the work force pounding the sidewalk looking for that great job.

She is on her way to Brisbane to look for work there since their job market isn't that much better than ours. She has been harvesting her garden around Christmas time as their winters and summers in NZ are just the opposite of ours. Would you believe they spend Christmas camping on the beaches??? Amazing this old world isn't it.

So Lena, please keep us posted and be sure to let us know where you are and what you are doing.

Jeanette

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

qg; D mail address, Will send some beans.
Sorry I was away from computer a while. Went to Omaha to pick up a friend at airport, plus the time planting and watering the new strawberries.

Wytheville, VA

So the veggies survived the first "warm" sunny day since planting. However, something chewed on my lettuce! The leaves look like lace.:( I guess I will have to plant from seed and place them under the canopy for full sun protection.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Mine have survived about 3 days and now we are having 25 degrees tonight and tomorrow night. So, if they survive this (yes, I have them covered) they should be tough. We have had some pretty nice weather. I wonder if the fruit trees in the warmer areas of the state are blooming. Sure hope not. That is what normally happens. Along comes the cold weather and there goes the entire crops.

Wytheville, VA

My sister lives in Spokane, not sure if she has ever attempted gardening. We have strange weather in SW VA - similar to where I used to live (Bangor, ME). I hoped when we moved here we'd have a longer growing season...not so much. I hope we have more moderate weather.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Has she lived there long? Did you live in Spokane? We are about 80 to 90 miles north of Spokane.

Raeford, NC

Kent How many tomato plants in each of your bales. Was not sure how far apart to put them so may have put them to far apart so am going to plant something between the plants to get the most use out of the bales.Dea

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Not Kent, but here's my experience. In my original Haybale garden, I put three per bale. They seemed a little tight, so this time i put two in each bale. I plant indeterminates, so they get pretty big.
Looks like I underestimated again...
The first two I put in (in one bale) were Kellogg's Breakfast and Marglobe. They went in beginning of April. They have overgrown the bale on each side, and are about three feet tall. I can't even tie them directly to the fence, the branches are suspended from the fence with baling twine to keep them off the ground. I'm afraid the fence is not going to be strong enough.
The others (planted about 3 weeks ago) look as if they're going to do the same thing.
Maybe I'll get it right next year.
Or, maybe next year they won't be as vigorous. Who knows.
But, I AM happy they're doing so well (knocking madly on wood)

Wytheville, VA

Jnette,

Goodness, my sister has lived in Spokane for many years. She met her previous husband there in 1979 and only left for a few years before returning.

We are not from WA though, we grew up in FL. I live with my husband, daughter & dog in VA. I lived in Seattle for about three months in 1979 before returning to FL. I am not a cold weather person, I'd rather be warm (or even hot) over being cold any day! Lived in ME with my family for about nine years before moving to VA.

Shawn

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Looks like you would be a good judge of weather in a lot of places Shawn.

Catmad, LOL, don't cry because your tomatoes are doing so good. The answer is not less tomatoes, but better staking. Use cattlepanels. You would think I had a stock in the company I praise them so much, but I really don't.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Jeanette, the fencing is pretty much the equivalent of cattle panels, just longer. They're actually wider (higher?). These maters are now out 3 feet on one side, and a foot on the other.
Not complaining, more wondering what I did right *G* this time. If anything. I thinkit's just been the weather, and the fact that I was gutsy putting them out early. I only did that because I knew I could protect two measly little plants. And, I did. They have spent several nights under styrofoam caps, swaddled in heavy quilts. They were far toastier that I...
The more recently planted ones are doing well, too. But not so much as the originals...

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What kind are they?

Wytheville, VA

Catmad, you are doing what I did last year. Had a great crop. This year I am so behind!

Northeast, WI(Zone 4b)

Our bales aren't even remotely ready to plant yet, here in NE Wisconsin! :-(

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

catmad - can you show us pictures? Sounds wonderful to have them 'too big'. Have they set any fruit? Did you purchase plants or start them from seed (indoors/outdoors?)? My biggest 'mater' was a purchased 6" plant and was planted 3/30 (the most difficult to plant at that size). It is an indeterminate Celebration and is only about 36" tall, but it does have some green tomatoes (I was way excited to see them). Do you prune/pinch any growth? I am already thinking about hay bales for next year, but the expense is more than double, so will have to see what kind of crop I will get.

Kent-your veggies look great! Are the planters for your cukes and zukes wider to accommodate putting the bales in crosswise? Did you start those from seed and plan to thin out? What an investment in lumber you have this year though. A DG'r I met last year has a son who works for a garage door company and brings home all these oversized wood pallets. Her DH has converted them to a myriad of projects from a deck, to planters, to furniture. That would have been perfect for you.

Things are taking off now, even all the seeds that have been planted in the bales (as late as last Sun.). My cukes, zukes and beans in bales are all the bush varieties, while the pole beans are in a barrel and pot (see photo below of the beans taken today and planted 7 days ago - what a difference germinating the seeds in we paper towel for several days made). My question is what do you do for vining, non climbing plants? I have 3 butternut squash, 2 watermelon, 1 crenshaw melon and three cantaloupe in 4 adjacent bales. Do you have suggestions on what to do with all the vines when they start growing? I'm afraid if I left them to trail onto the ground, they would become dinner to those rascally rabbits. BTW, thanks Jnette for the suggestion of the bird netting to cover the bails - so far no evidence that rabbits have been back on top. Unfortunately a lizard died in the netting.

What and how often to you guys feed? Should I be consistent in using the same thing always? I have used fish emulsion early on, then miracle grow in a watering can and also those little beady looking things. I am being better about tracking feeding all the yard this year by marking it on the calendar and, though I try for weekly, I fertilize the bales about every 9 days.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Jeanette, they were purchased plants, Kellogg's Breakfast, and Marglobe. I didn't have seeds for the Marglobe, and the KB I seeded weren't doing well. So, when I found them, I grabbed them. I think the lady selling them was a little afraid of me...

Qg wrote;"catmad - can you show us pictures?"
I'd like to, if I can figure out how to get them here. They are on picasa2, and I can't seem to get there from here.
"Sounds wonderful to have them 'too big'. Have they set any fruit? "
Oh, I'm very happy, but if they're this big now, I have to do some serious re-thinking on my support system. I'll be putting a table under the parts I can't tie anymore (they'd be too crowded). Marglobe is usually one of my biggest plants. Both have set fruit.
"Did you purchase plants or start them from seed (indoors/outdoors?)?" Puchased the first two, the others grew from seed in my hall closet. My first seed starting success story after three years of trying. :)
" My biggest 'mater' was a purchased 6" plant and was planted 3/30 (the most difficult to plant at that size)."
What was it that you found difficult about planting those? I've found them easier than the 18" ones that cause me to have to excavate the bales with a backhoe *g*.
" It is an indeterminate Celebration and is only about 36" tall, but it does have some green tomatoes (I was way excited to see them)."
Not familiar with that one, I'll look it up. All mine are Indeterminate.
" Do you prune/pinch any growth?"
Only those at the bottom that are yellowed or "funny-looking"

Wake Forest, NC

Quoting:
Kent-your veggies look great! Are the planters for your cukes and zukes wider to accommodate putting the bales in crosswise? Did you start those from seed and plan to thin out? What an investment in lumber you have this year though. - Quiltygirl

I just put the bales out and built the frames around them.

I transplanted the cukes and squash, but since I'm going to save a lot of tomato seeds this year, I'll probably start everything from seed next year.

Not 1 dime invested in the lumber other than the gas to go get it and the screws to put everything together. These were all old boards from a dismantled fishing pier.

Dahlonega, GA

Pretty darn good looking lumber , I should be so lucky . Congrads .

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Im in Brisbane!!! Maybe its time I updated my location. I probably went up another zone too. Its winter here as well, but much warmer than in NZ. Averaging around 22c which is not that unpleasant.

I have a friend who lives near Nudgee Beach in the north of Brisbane, she is very keen to start a garden. She has a nice big yard, so this weekend we will start the digging. I have been telling her to keep an eye out for strawbales for a while now, but it doesn't look like she found any. Its so warm here we could begin sprouting tomatoes any time we have the garden ready, so that will begin soon. Need to organise some seedling pots. And a way to protect everything from her dogs.

I managed to smuggle a small collection of seeds over with me, which was a bit scary. Australia has such strict border security, wont allow any seeds in at all. The sniffer dog jumped onto my suitcase as I was walking through check in at Brisbane airport, I almost cried with fright. They hand out pretty hefty fines if you get caught! But the security officer just pulled the dog back on his leash and let me through. I was so relieved.

Today I finally have a few quiet hours to myself. Life has been pretty busy, meeting new friends and exploring my new home. We went for a drive to the Gold Coast a few days ago, that was fun. And some of my old friends form NZ are here this week, I have been spending time with them. There is some big rugby tournament on at the moment, the pubs are full of crazed fans. We don't care so much for the rugby, but its a pretty funny cultural experience, screaming at sport on a big tv screen. We managed to yell NEW ZEALAND a few times and got some dirty looks. Eventually one of the boys in our group got into an argument with some patriotic Australians, and was asked to leave, so we all did. I had had enough rugby and beer for one night anyway.

No job yet. But I haven't put much effort into the search yet either. That starts today. Apparently. Time to get on with it.
Will check in again soon with news and pics of the garden when we have made some progress.

Lena in AUSTRALIA!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lena!! So glad to hear from you. And it sounds like you fit right in like you have been there a long time. That is great. Nice that you have a friend with a big yard and wants a garden too! Can't beat that.

It's funny to think about sprouting tomatoes in zone 10. But then I am in zone 5. So, big difference. Can't you buy tomato seeds in Australia? Why did you think you had to take some with you? Must have been some special seeds you wanted.

Does your friend know what she is getting into, gardening, canning, etc. with you? LOL. But then, you probably don't need to can in zone 10. You can have fresh whenever you want them!! Never thought of that. So I suppose you plant tomatoes on kind of a rotational basis? That way you always have some.

Well girl, you get out there and get that job and be sure to let us know how you are doing and we want pictures of the garden. So glad you are becoming quite the world traveler. LOL

Jeanette

Gloucester County, VA(Zone 7b)

Quote from garden2heaven :

Nini, are you finding that 5 gals every 1-2 days per bale is enough?

I am just starting out for the first time with all this so I have NO idea how much water is enough, or too much... I have a feeling I am using too much water! But the 5-gal buckets w/ soaker hoses like that looks like the PERFECT arrangement, if it is the right amount of water...

Thanks!

:) K

K.... Sorry to be so slow in answering your questions , but I have been in grandmother mode chasing an 18 month old for my daughter who is out of town on a buisiness trip. Whewww, now I remember why I had my children when I was younger. Am still here (someone else is watering the garden for me) but will try to answer. The 5 gallons seemed to be doing fine but I have found that my hard water has clogged up the soaker hose because there is no really strong pressure behind it.( just gravity) When I get home (4 days from now) I plan to take a small drill bit and put some holes in the hose so it will continue to run out on a gravity feed. I think that will solve my hard water problem (a filter clogs up to fast) and allow me to continue to use this system to slowly water the stand alone groups of bales that I have. Will keep you posted on how it works. Well, gottta run and get my rest, as the little one gets up about 6 am and doesn't break stride until 7 tomorrow night when she goes to bed. Grandma needs her rest.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Nini 1953
Know what you mean!
We had married grand kids and great granddaughter stay with us a while. It worked out fine with the exception that somehow the flu got brought home. Little Hanna ( GGD) and I both got it but hers was much worse. He's turned into an intestinal virus and she couldn't eat. we could only give her a tsp. of water every 10-15 min. She would only sleep on my lap, so I kept a bottle of water beside the recliner and every time she woke me, I would give her some water. 2 days of that got her back on the mend, then I was able to rest better too and get over it. At that time she was just learning to walk, so we really didn't have a time keeping up with her. But we did have little ones a day or two at a time and WOW they don't know how to play with one thing at a time. Of course it is run run run. But isn't wonderful that you can leave them with their mothers and get a little rest? LOL We have 9 grand children and 20 great grand children, soon to be 21.
We had a couple weeks opportunity to visit with another grand daughter and her two. a 4 year old and 18 month. They flew home from WA so her mom, dad, sisters and of course us, could see the 18 month old.
That is a whole bunch of new gardeners, Right?
Russ

Certainly does mean new gardeners Russ. Little one is down for a nap, so I am on a short break. Will be interesting to see how everything has done during my 11 day break. The tomatoes will more than likely be running out of the top of their cages as they were near the top when I left. I remember Jnette wondering how the slow acting tomato fertilizer would work (organic) that I applied when I planted the plants this spring. I think at this point I could say that it has worked well as I have NEVER seen my plants this large or this healthy at this time of the year. Hay and this fertilizer will be on my agenda again next year. In about a month I will reapply one more treatment per it's directions. Seems to be a success. Once I actually get to eat the tomatoes and judge their flavor, then I will be 100% sure.

Dahlonega, GA

Oh , Russ , I only have one great grandchild . I get to meet him on the 19 th of June in Chappel Hill NC . Would love for me and DH to meet Kent , just a few miles away . I'll have to ask him .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That would be pretty cool Sally. Jeanette

Thought you would like to see the newest gardener in the family. Once she got up from her nap, it had started to sprinkle a bit of rain here. (it always seems to rain a bit each day in Hawaii... guess I forgot to mention I am not on the mainland... one and only grandchild lives in Hawaii) and she decided to dress herself for a trip to the little front yard they have to work in the garden... I think she is well on her way to working up to her first strawbale in the next year or two.

Thumbnail by nini1953
Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

nini1953, my tomatoes are doing very well this year, too. I'm still trying to figure out why, but if I don't figure it out, that's okay, too. I think for me it's a combination of things. The haybales, the weather, and maybe Mother Nature is feeling remorse for her treatment of my poor little garden the last two years. My first two plants went in the beginning of April, and are almost over their fence, should be by next week's end.
They haven't been fed yet, and I'm almost afraid to mess with success. One thing I added to my plantings this year was watersorb crystals, but I don't know if they've made any real difference or not. The hay seems to hold water better than the straw I used last year, but I'm not sure comparing anything from last year to this year is fair.
I hadn't really expected much success this year, so I didn't think to use "control" plants in the ground. I do have an Inground Garden as well, but with different stuff.
I'm hoping the success continues....

Dahlonega, GA

That grand baby certainly has her mind on the business of dirt . Precious !

Wytheville, VA

Slugs ate all of my lettuce! We have had so much rain and humidity that slugs have taken over the porch and the garden. I hope they will die off today as it is quite sunny!
I fertilized with miracle-gro two days ago and I plan to do so again this evening. I also plan to add more compost to the tops of the straw to help the veggies with retaining moisture. I have soaker hoses in the soil under my straw but I am still watering from above. This is such an experiment for me this year!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

The slugs went up your strawbales and ate your lettuce?? That is weird. Some pretty tough slugs you've got. Put some coffee grounds around them. If you don't drink coffee go to some espresso place and ask for their grounds. I understand a lot of places will give them to you. Don't know, haven't done it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.