General Discussions - 2010 - Chapter 31

Wake Forest, NC

Let's start a new Chapter.

Oh, Jeanette????? Will you be the 1st? :-)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Can you believe this? And I just got on here a little bit ago.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I almost didn't post, just so I wouldn't be first. LOL Now I am second!!!

Dahlonega, GA

Nuts, digger

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Yay, more space!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, Digger, you snooze you lose.

Dahlonega, GA

I'm in the eastern time zone . Old people like me go to bed with the chickens . Keeps me off the streets and outta the beer joints . lol . Congrats. digger

Northeast, OH(Zone 5b)

Hope you all are having a wonderful day.............I just have a quick question for you.

I have a man that is willing to deliver oat straw bales for $3.50 each. I asked him if it had pestcides on it and his reply was "it was sprayed with D-2-4 (?)
Butracite (?) when is was very young, like the grass in your yard. It should have all washed off a long time ago, and should only mean that it wouldn't be called organic. " Now I'm not sure of the numbers or spelling of the pesticide, but would this be ok?

I would appreciate your thoughts on planting in this straw.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Without being 100% certain, I would say should be Okay.
The effect of the spray was only to hold the weeds back while the oats grew tall enough to shade the rest of the weed seeds from sprouting.
There will most probably be a few weeds that were able to grow but not enough to choke out the oats.
Russ

Northeast, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Russ, I thought it would be ok but just wanted to make sure!

I haven't been on here as much as I used to be, I hope you and your wife areboth well and enjoying life!

Lucy

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You know, I have never used 2-4 D before. I remember it from when my mom used it, But not sure what for.

I just googled it and I guess it is in almost all weed killers and is the most commonly used product in farming, weeds around lakes, along roads, you name it. The farmers use it on all crops it looks like, so I would think if they use it over and over, that you shouldn't have any problems with it. According to the one i read, all human beings ingest it almost daily in one form or another. Amazing.

You might ask the farmer if he uses it every year. That should tell you something.

How many are you buying LULie? That's a good buy. Good price.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Lucy; We take a lot of breaks but yes, we are still kickin. I'm going to claim great.

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Hi Everyone! Welcome back Suz ^_^

New chapter already, I had barely caught up on the last!

Great facebook page Kent. I like :-)

Summer is definitely properly truly over now. Many businesses have shut, and those that are brave or stupid enough to stay open have heavily reduced their staff and hours. I have three more shifts then I'm out too. And since I couldn't get another job here for winter I'm about to move all over again.

To Brisbane in Australia!!! A little bit scary and a whole lot of exciting. One of my best friends from highschool ha been there for a few years, he loves it, and is making lots of money. He says work is easy to find and that I can come stay with him till I have a job and can get my own place. I thought about it, and decided I have nothing to loose. So in about 3 -4 weeks Ill go and give it a try. Climate is a lot warmer which is good considering its winter now. But apparently there are lots of things that bite you, a concern for a barefooted gloveless gardener like myself. If I can Ill start a little garden there. But job first.

Next week I'm going back down south to Palmerston North for my graduation. It will be nice to see my old friends and home town. and good to get this studying chapter in my life officially completed. I'm very tempted to go look at my old garden, just peek over the fence and see how my trees and plants are doing, if the new people are looking after them. Everyone is telling me not to, that I will just be disappointed and saddened. Probably true. But its calling me. I miss my garden and my dear trees so much. I don't know. What do you think?

I enjoyed looking at all your photos. I'm amazed at how open and spacious your gardens are, so many big trees, and no fences in sight! Yards here are typically small and boxed in by ugly corrugated iron fences. And because the typical urban section is so small, there isn't the space for large amounts of big trees, they would shade out the neighbours.

Time is up. One day very soon ill have internet access at home again. Wherever that may be.
I hope your getting some great weather and that your gardens are growing well.

All the best,

Lena

Northeast, OH(Zone 5b)

Jnette- thank you for googling (sp?) that. I guess I just felt like being lazy and asking you guys. I expect you all to be experts on every subject, ready to answer my questions 24 hrs a day. :) Anyway, this is more fun talking with friendly folks! We are getting 10-15 bales, last year we had 20, then a good friend almost died and we were going to the hospital 35 miles away every other day. I couln't keep up with it all.

Russ- I am so happy that you and your wife are doing great, God has been good to us all!

Lena- You are young and well educated with a beautiful life full of new adventures ahead of you. Plus you have many friends here in the states praying for you, I am sure of that.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lena, the saying is "never go back". So far I have found that to be true with everyone I have heard that did. You would be sick if something had happened to your trees, and you can't count on new people to carry on where you left off.

So exciting to go to Australia. Have you ever been there? How far is it from where you are now, New Zealand? So looking forward to hearing how you are doing. Keeping track of you. Please keep in touch whenever, wherever you can and are.

No, Lulie, we aren't experts, just experienced in a lot of things, but not everything. But I use google for everything.

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Jeanette, I think you are right. I don't expect they have looked after it. I planted so many things over winter and spring, thinking I would be there to see them grow Would love to see if they did grow. Its probably a total jungle! It always used to amaze me, the change after being away for a just a few weeks in the summer to visit my folks. I will see how I feel when Im there. Im definitely not expecting a feel good moment though.

No I have never been there, unless you count the 8 or so airport stops over the years on our ways to Germany. Have looked out the window, but never managed to escape the airport. Its about 4-6 hours by plane from Auckland to the east coast cities like Sydney or Brisbane. I think it took my friend 8 hours to get to Darwin in the north. Its a huge place! I read somewhere that its almost as big as mainland USA excluding Alaska. And its very hot and dry, Im glad my first few months there will be the winter ones.

I will definitely keep in touch. In two weeks Ill be staying at mums for the last week before I leave, so Ill have internet for a while. Then I can update my location to Brisbane! Im still in Palmerston North lol never got around to changing it to Paihia.

Off to work now, only three days left and counting!

Lena

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lena, let us know how it did. Take pictures if you can. Of the plants you put in and the trees. Bet they are nice.

Bob wants to know if you have to have passports to travel there.

Keep in touch Lena. Is your father going to have a garden this year? Whoops, keep forgetting he is going into winter. LOL

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Lena; Good to hear from you. I have been thinking, if it were me, I'd go take a peek. Sure it may sadden your heart,somewhat but you know the love you put in it. It is possible, that someone did appreciated it. You are young and have much living ahead of you. Some day when you have your own place, you can fix it up like you want.

May you find peace, happiness and a great job.

Oh wanted to mention. I have some things coming up. It's still a little cool here yet and haven't put out any tomatoes yet as we could still get a frost. I have radishes that are nearly big enough to start pulling some. I also have potatoes that have poked there first leaves up and can almost make out the whole row.
We get some really nice warm days it will really take off.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2010 5:07 PM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Alright Lena. Toss my name in the hat to look also. You would always wonder. Nothing to lose. Like Russ said, you can always do it again when you buy a house.

Wake Forest, NC

Lena: glad to hear from you!!

Your new adventure to Australia will definitely be a new chapter in your life.

Will be praying that you have a safe and successful journey personally and professionally.

Take care and check back in soon.

Kent

Dahlonega, GA

Lena, I would love to hit the gold fields in Australia with my metal detector . Way too far to walk , and I'm scared to fly , specially over water . Too far to swim . Keep us informed . digger

Wake Forest, NC

Hey, gang, this is way off topic, but it may mean some money in your pocket. Not much, but every little bit counts.

From January 1, 1994 to April 12, 2010, if you purchased a lawn mower containing a gas combustible engine up to 30 horsepower for your own use, you may be due some MONEY!!!

Details Link: https://lawnmowerclass.com/ - be sure to read the FAQ's

Confirmation link: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/04/lawnmower_settlement.html

I'll believe it when I see the check! :-)

Kent

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, if you fill out the claim form and do as they say, you will most likely see a check. I have received several checks for class actions suits that I have never done anything to get them didn't even know about them.. But, this one you need to fill out the form.

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Lena!!! So good to hear from you, and that you're well and starting in on a new adventure - wish you could move here! You'd love it here in Bucks County- such a great place for gardening, but I must say that work prospects here are slim.

I'm really excited about getting back into gardening. I wasn't able to do any last summer, but things are looking great for my garden this season. I'll post some photos soon- right now, there are just my beautiful nut brown hay bales and lots of lovely seedlings under lights in my cellar.

If you ever decide to try the US, let me know- I'll set you up. Until then, please keep in touch.

Namaste- Suzan

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hey, I have some little black bugs on my Tomatoes in the bales. Had some on the green bean plant also. I have a marigold planted next to each tomato, but Ik though there weren't supposed to be bugs, or just certain bugs? Or am I special? Bought some organic spray to spray before dark, don't want to do it in the sun and burn the leaves. I see gopher mounds closer to the bales now......

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

QG, Tomatoes don't normally get bugs. Some I suppose. Can't imagine what they would be. Might ask Carolyn. Dr. Carolyn Male.

I can't imagine what they are. I know there are a black aphid. But usually Tomatoes don't attract them.

Gloucester County, VA(Zone 7b)

Tomatoes have been in for a little more than a month.. and they are going great. My first time with hay bales, but I think I'm now hooked. The peppers and eggplant are sooo much bigger than ever before. Cannot wait to start harvesting. Am going to post pictures I took today!

Thumbnail by nini1953

Even though we had temperatures in the high thirties last week, the tomato plants set small Sun Sugar tomatoes this week!

Thumbnail by nini1953

And the peppers!

Thumbnail by nini1953

And last but not least... The eggplant......

Thumbnail by nini1953

All the tomatoes in a row.... All 7 varieties.... Cannot wait for late June when they start to ripen.

Thumbnail by nini1953
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

nini, that is very cool.. What are the PVC rods for? I am assuming that is what they are. They look like hair rollers from the distance in the last picture. LOL, Pretty nice.

Jeanette

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

nini, you're tomatoes make mine look like slackers *G*. I planted two (Marglobe and Kellogg's Breakfast) early, but I can't remember how long ago. Yours seem to be much taller :). What kind do you have planted? I'm curious what works for you, you're not too far away..

On a more productive note, I now have 30 tomatoes in the bales, and more to go in today. Eggplant may go in as well, but I think I'll let them harden off a few more days, they still wilt in the direct sun. My failed strawberry bed is now the Squash Compound, with 7 kinds, I think ( although one package as a "mix" so who knows).

My inground garden is SOOO much more work! Looking at it, I seem to have a much better "thumb": for growing morning glories than vegetables. Unless, of course I _try_ to grow morning glories....

sigh

This message was edited May 6, 2010 7:37 AM

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Nini, very impressive!!!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Catmad, nini showed the little tomatoes on Sun Sugar. That is an indeterminate cherry tomato so it would be a little faster along. However, all of nini's tomatoes look about the same growth so yes, they are pretty good.

There are are a lot of variables tho. For instance, I haven't even planted mine yet. It was down to 26 last night. Altho, I do think I would be able to put mine out now. Maybe this next weekend.

Wake Forest, NC

nini: great pics.

Love the way the bales have sprouted. Look like Chia pets!! :-)

Kent

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Jnette wrote;" nini showed the little tomatoes on Sun Sugar. That is an indeterminate cherry tomato so it would be a little faster along. "

I've got tinies on one of my cherries, too. My are Indet as well (all of them AFAIK) but even the ones that have been in for a month or so aren't as tall as nini's:). At least I don't think they are, nini, ho tall is your fencing?

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Nini - what size were your tomatoes when you planted them a month ago? Did you buy them or start from seed? All you plants look great. What hay are you using, looks like maybe Timothy or Bermuda?

Where to start.. The pipes you see are old water pipe cut to be the fourth side of the cage. The less than petite hands cannot get between the 2 x 3 openings in the wire. I started all the tomatoes from seed about the beginning of February this year. The plants were about a foot tall when I set them out a month ago. I planted Sun Sugar, Kellogg's Breakfast, Black from Tula, Black Pearl (cherry), Red Piriform, Aunt Ruby's German Green, and Matt's wild Cherry. My hay was just plain old orchard grass hay. Every thing is really perking right along. I have been amazed. And yes Ken, he chia's are in for a haircut this weekend.... they need one.

This message was edited May 6, 2010 2:40 PM

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

OK- finally got a couple of pix- here are my pretty little sugar snap peas . .

Thumbnail by SuzanSkylark

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.