Bees - where are they?

Lodi, CA(Zone 8b)

Anyone noticing a lack of honeybees just like in 2007? I should have tons of them and counted just 5 today in my yard. Is colony collapse disorder back?

Mary

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ha! They're all in my yard. I have a peach, an avocado, and a lemon, all blooming, and it is humming out there!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

We have lots of bees here, too.

Nevada City, CA(Zone 8b)

I have many bees in my yard and our fruit trees look well pollinated. I wonder if pesticide spraying in the valley could be affecting them even though I know farmers try to prevent it.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Actually, a lot of farmers (not the organic ones) do spray pesticides. They have to give us at least 48 hours notice before they do. Which gives us beekeepers time to move our bees. We don't want dead hives.
If you don't have bees yet, you will. They really don't start to fly much until it warms up above 60-65 degrees, which may be why we're seeing more activity than you are. Just bee patient, they will come.
Colony collapse, hmm. Some say that it is the mites that cause that, (and other vermin), some say that the mites have company or have mutated. Others say that it is poor beekeeping. My DH says it was the new miticide used to treat the bees that was part of the problem along with not leaving the bees enough food during the winter months. He is very diligent, and while we were hit by the loss of some hives we didn't get hit as hard as most beekeepers. The studies on that one are still coming in. So is the funding finally. UC Davis has a great entymology program and probably the most current research on the subject.
Hope it helps.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I have a hive in the wall of my house. It hadn't presented a problem until yesterday. The hose bib is right beside where they gain access to their hive and I went to turn on the water when I was attacked by a half dozen or so. Four of them got me. I need to get a bee hood so I can move my hose to another bib. I really don't want to destroy them, but when the grandkids visit I fear for their safety. I know collecting a swarm is pretty simple, but moving a hive can't be easy.

SW, if Jack has any ideas, please let me know.
Randy

Lodi, CA(Zone 8b)

Singing Wolf,

Do they tend to stay away when there is a lot of wind? It's been quite windy here lately.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

DP,
First take a photo. Then go to the store and buy a can of Raid, the kind that sprays 20 feet. Wait until after dark, spray the whole can into the hole, run like crazy! Then, when you are done applying Benedryl (after removing the stingers, remember to scrape not pluck!), seal the hole up they were using to get inside the house. Depending on how big the hive/comb is, the more likely it is to draw ants and smell really bad for awhile. Eventually the ants will remove the remaining honey and comb, but if it's really bad, you may have to open up a wall. Which is no fun and probably not in your budget.
Seriously, DH has extra smoker and Bee suits, and we need to return a plate. He can show you how or loan you the hat and veil or a suit. The smoke just calms the bees. Don't need it at night usually, because they are all in the hive, and it's the best time to Kill them All! Given how quick they were to attack, I'd go with the Raid followed by spray insulation to seal the opening, and let the ants feast.
For those who don't have as aggressive bees as DP, you can mix up Dawn dish soap and water in a veggie sprayer and really soak down the hive, I mean flood it! The soapy water is less toxic, but doesn't always work as well as Raid. May need repeated applications.
Always best to work with the bees after dark, unless you're stealing their honey, feeding or medicating them.
Hope that helps DP, you still have Jack's cell phone # if you need to call him today. Was on the RU Blast we sent out. If you can't find it, and don't have my cell # still, dmail me. I'll check back soon.
CrazyMary, I'm not sure if they tend to stay closer to the hive when it's windy, but will ask DH. I'd imagine it's harder for them to fly in the wind, but it also would depend on whether there are closer food/water sources, and of course the daytime temps. Has it been cloudy too? That could make a difference if it's been on the cool side.
Where there are blooming flowers there are usually bees. They do tend to visit certain flowers at certain times of the day.
If you don't see any bees after another week or so, check around to see if there are any local bee keepers who'd let you rent a hive or place a hive on your property. Lodi usually has a lot of bees around, a lot of beekeepers up that way. Let me know if you can't find anyone local and I'll ask DH if he knows of anyone.
WIB!
SW

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

lots of bees here. pollinating nasturtium, african blue basil. They did a great job on the avocado tree when it was blooming a couple of months ago. Tree is loaded with fruitlets. Also on the Pride of Madeira. Tons of em. Saw a swarm up at San Clemente Canyon the other day. Long live the queen!!!!!!

Lodi, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Singing Wolf - they were all over my lemon tree today. I'll ask my neighbor (he's a grape farmer) about any local bee keepers.

Thanks Again!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

crazymary,
I asked DH about them flying in the wind. He says they will, but it's harder for them. Was about 60 degrees here today, with strong winds and lots of gray clouds overhead. I didn't see many bees flying, the ones I did see were low to the ground, working the flowers. They were flying and collecting nectar, but not as far. You'll be seeing more bees soon.
Since the bees are done with pollinating the fruit/nut trees they are now in the orange groves. We got a call today that they will be spraying poison in a grove near one of our bee locations on Friday. We will be moving those bees tomorrow night. Will be a couple of weeks before it is safe to move them back.
steve, crazymary is in zone 8, where they have real seasons. Lots of swarms lately down our way. During the RU last Saturday here on the farm, they spotted 3 swarms of bees. Not counting the ones in the hives.
My big question is how did DP make out with his bee invasion?
WIB!
SW

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I've just been giving them a wide berth for the past few days. It's against my nature to kill them, but I suppose it's gonna have to happen.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Call my DH, he'll help you, DP. It'll only get worse if you don't take care of it early.
BTW, in addition to Lisa's plate, you left your Daylillies here too. I see a visit in the near future! LOL!
WIB!
SW

Lodi, CA(Zone 8b)

Okay, that makes sense. The first trees here to bloom are the Almonds in February. That's probably why I saw so many bees in the winter on my Grevilleas and then they disappeared. Now that citrus is blooming, it makes sense that they are back.

I never thought about the fact that bees know better than us what they are doing and in what order!

Mary

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Fascinating little critters aren't they? Individually they don't really think, but seem to have racial instincts that tell them what to do. I love their little dances when the Scout bees come back to the hive, and do their dance to tell the other bees where to find those nectar producing plants. : - )
Played hooky on Wednesday and went with DH to some of his bee locations. It was cold and windy, about 60 degrees. When the sun came out, I was able to get this photo of a busy bee working on some old sweet peas near Morris Dam in San Gabriel. There used to be an old homestead there, but the CDF either destroyed it or it burned and they didn't rebuild.
DH promised to collect seeds for me, but I'll bet he forgets. Good excuse to play hooky again!
All the bees were flying low to the ground that day.
BTW, all the worker bees are females (sterile), the drones only have one job, and once the mating flight is over the workers won't feed the drones, and even kick them out of the hive. I guess they got no use for non working bees. The male drones can't even forage for themselves and soon die.
Fascinating!
Hope you get more bees soon!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Lodi, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.