Rescued Iris

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thats great Sharon. I can't wait to see it.
I would be interested in getting some of your graveyard iris. I don't have any white ones. And I'm finding that purple ones are as different as night and day. Do you want postage or trade for them?

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Here are the 7 people I have on my list for rescue iris.

1. irisluvro252
2. oldgardenrose
3. obliqua
4. WormsLovSharon
5. angedawn47
6. sassygranng
7. smiley
I am limiting this to these 7 people so that I can make sure that I have at least 2 of each iris to send.
The iris I am rescuing have been temporally named (by me) to make it easy for me to mark them for the color.

1. Roadside iris
2. Peggy's iris
3. Somerset Pink iris

I'm checking for address in the address exchange. If you are not in it please dmail me your address so I can start getting boxes ready to send.

Marti

Ps: picture is of Peggy's iris

This message was edited May 8, 2010 9:44 PM

This message was edited May 10, 2010 11:27 AM

Thumbnail by marti001
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Peggy's Iris is great. I do not need postage. I have to get them first. They are still freezing at home. The are at a mile high. Will be much later in the summer.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I need address for oldgardenrose and WormsLuvSharon so that I can mail your rescue irises next week.

I will wash them off, clip leaves half way, soak in mild bleach water, dry and ship. Does that sound right?

Marti

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

D-mail with my address just sent.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Got it. Sorry about the mix up.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Maybe the irises weren't just "dumped" but planted to beautify the roadside by a secret gardener?? They would probably survive if the area isn't mowed or sprayed.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

They were dumped. And the road crew mows there once a month. People dump all kinds of there, including left of deer carcasses, trash and things like refrigerators and other junk.

Concord, NC(Zone 7a)

your rescueded iris look like almost identical to the the iris germanica variety that i just got. yours is an even more beautiful lighter blue overtone then mine but i think mine might be a couple inches taller. from reading this post it seems their are alot of different variations of heirloom germanicas, and a few like ours get tall and have the beautiful bluish bitone of a neglecta..thats awesome you were able to rescue these from the woods and save their life so not just you but other people can enjoy them..peace..mike

Thumbnail by themikeman
South Hamilton, MA

After all, many iris species have different color forms; we are most familiar with the pumilas. Congratulations on the rescue.

Concord, NC(Zone 7a)

I had never heard of Iris pumilas till now when you just mentioned them and i looked them up. they are beautiful dwarf variety iris that come in a rainbow of different colors..some two tone purple and blue like the germanicas..kool..mike

South Hamilton, MA

Mike you might be too far south for pumilas to do well. However Winterberry gardens has listed 'Suslik' in their catalog in VA. They are in the foothills so if you are in the plains section of NC the would not do well for you. Look up SIGNA (species iris group of NA) which gives information on species.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2011 3:14 PM

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Marti, good job. And enjoy. My lot is now square inch gardening. No plat left. Maybe I will have to remove the house. Hello from 93 degrees Las Vegas. But tomorrow we are suppose to be 73.

But for goodness sake, the NE is suppose to get snow again tomorrow. We broke a record 4/1/2011, here in Las Vegas, for the highest temperature on that date. Phoenix and Los Angeles are also breaking records. This weather drives a gardener crazy and their plants..

I have irises ready to pop. And high winds are right behind. Always the same week.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I really messed up on this one and did not get any of the irises sent out. I still have access to them. They are just now sending up leaves. With all our rain, everything is wet. We get rain for 1-2 days, 1 day sun and than back to rain. I must get off my duff and get these irises rescued. Sorry everyone.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

When you're not a commercial grower, it's hard to know when to pick and ship.

Every couple of years I have to chop out a section of japanese iris because they are packed too tight. I read somewhere that you should not plant irises wher other irises had been planted because they either leave an iris residue or deplete the soil, leaving their own mark.

No one throws away irises here. I cannot imagine anyone pulling out irises because they are too much trouble. About the only thing you have to do is deadhead them.

Last spring I rescued irises from my own yard and put them in another garden. In the 5+ years we've been here, some of these irises have never bloomed. They're coming up now, and I'm dying to see what they are.

I think it's officially spring; surprising things are going on in our gardens today.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Marti, you do not need to send me any. I do not have an inch left to plant anything. Just post photos so we can see them. That is good enough for me. Sharon.

PS: Marti, I was rooting for Kentucky last night. Sorry Cathy. Great basketball. I love to watch the college finals because they play so hard.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, I'm still going to claim some more for myself. And yes will post pictures.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.