Question about a location for Peonies

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I know a lot of people in my area are growing Peonies successfully, but I'm wondering, does anyone here have them growing in a location that gets a lot of Western, late afternoon sun?

I think they would be a nice addition to one of my front flower beds, but I'm fearful that our hot late sun might be too much. I have some other options I know would work there, but my first choice would be the Peonies because of the look I want to go for in that bed. There's a nursery with some fairly large potted ones, I thought that might help some and I can place them in a way that the bird bath could shade the roots.

Thoughts anyone?

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

One more for the same location...

How about Pasque Flowers? I'm lead to believe they come up pretty early, so the heat might not hurt them?

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

back to the old days when I lived in Erie, I had peonies growing on the west side of the house. They did very well there. I added alot of shredded leaves, compost, etc. to the bed before I planted them. Peonies dont like to be moved. They will sulk and not produce any flowers if you move them.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I have seen both Peonies and Pasqueflowers growing in full sun. They could probably handle the additional reflected heat on the West side with mulch. If your soil is really bad, you might want to improve it for the peonies.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have a peony in west exposure and it does well. My pasque flowers are just starting to flower now. They should be earlier for you for sure so should do well before the sun gets hot.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Thanks all for your input. They had so many kinds I couldn't decided but ended up with one that had a double bloom in multiple shades of pink. Also some purple pasque flowers. So I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I noticed today that the Service Berry I put in about 5 years ago is finally providing a little shade from the afternoon sun on that side of the bed, so that should help some too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.