Help with a sick Nepanthes

Arlington, TX

I have a nepanthes sang. growing under UV lights and it was doing very well. Mail order and small to start over the past months it has drastically increased its pitcher size and number. Over the last month I noticed it was getting oranger and oranger leaves and when I came in to my classroom this Monday several leaves were dead and black. The plant is loosing color and I do not know why. It has been thriving.
Cheryl

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

DId it run out of water? Was there a change in temp drastically down or up over the weekend? Does the plant have rust? Was it just the pitchers that turned black or the leaves and the pitchers? I usually lose the leaves either if it gets too cold or too dry.

Arlington, TX

You know the air conditoner at work is too cold lately. It wasn't the pitchers it was the leaves and it was sudden and pretty dramatic. I will take pics this week if more have darkened over the weekend. I think it might be extra cold temps in the room. Not much I can do about that as I keep the thermostat at full tilt on warm but still have a cold room. Hopefully I can set up something at home to keep them going in the summer but my husband keeps our house pretty chilly. Will they adapt to cool temps?
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I lost many of my Nepenthes this winter in the house because it was too cold. N. sang. is a highland and likes warm temps in the day and cool temps at night. I would try it in a warm, sunny windowsill at your house. How far is it from the light at school? Maybe if it was closer it would be a little warmer. I know mine are warm at about 2 inches. I keep my Nepenthes outside all summer hanging in trees, but I can't keep highlands here, because it is too warm. I think as your temps switched form winter heat to summer air conditioning, the plant was shocked. Cut off the dead leaves.

Arlington, TX

I hope its that simple. I need to set up a light system at my house because there simply is no window with enough light to keep them alive. Maybe a shelf at the window for warmth with a light over it might do the trick. What Nepanthes can tolerate colder indoor temps?
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Highlands do better with cooler temperatures, but they are all tropical plants and don't like cold temps.

Here's my window. Actually has a bit more light, but the picture was backlit, so it didn't show up well.

Thumbnail by starsplitter7
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a closeup of the plants in that window. All happy tropicals.

Thumbnail by starsplitter7
Arlington, TX

My problem here is that my husband keeps the temps pretty chilly during the summer. I will have to figure out a way to keep the temps up around the plants during the day. You have a lot of plants to look after in your house and yard.
C

Arlington, TX

do you think the colder temps might have affected the D. adelae?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

D. adelae doesn't like to be super hot. But I think thye have the most problems with changes. I have a real hard time with them, so I can't give any advice.

Arlington, TX

I see, well at least there are some offspring that have survived. I think before I order any new plants I need to make a place that is good for them to grow in.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I get babies too. That at least is a good sign. Also don't throw away pots of " dead" plants. Put them in a saucer of water in the sun and see what comes back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.