Fruit beariing purple leaf plum

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

I planted a purple leaf plum tree in my back yard about 5 years ago. The tree always had a lot of blooms in the spring and several plums developed as a result. It was a beautiful tree but something happened over this past winter and the tree died. I have been looking for a replacement but have not found a purple leaf plum that is fruit bearing. All I seem to find are ornamental varieties. Does anyone know where I can find a purple leaf plum that's fruit bearing? Thanks....Doug

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I thought the fruit bearing purple leaf plums were happy accidents - ornamental crosses that didn't know they were ornamentals. I don't know that there is a type with a name - but if there is, I'd be interested in knowing what it is, too. I have a half dozen wild plums and sand cherries in my yard. No two look alike - even the ones that were supposed to be the same thing from the same source.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

The Hollywood plum is purple leaved.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/productdetails.cfm?ProductID=C130

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

Hello Pollengarden, Yours is the only response I have gotten so far but I will let you know if someone comes up with an answer. I guess I was just lucky that the original one was fruit bearing. I know that I see a lot of purple leaf plum trees in this area none are fruit bearing that I know of. I have several of the sand cherries too, but they have green leaves on the ones I have. I just like the purple leaves, I think they are much more attractive. And the purple plums blend in so that the birds don't seem to bother them as much. Of course, when they do get ripe, the birds can smell it and will clean the crop if you are not on top of the situation!

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

Hello L Tilton, Thanks for the note. I went to the Raintree site - the picture they have looks like the leaves are more green than purple. I guess the picture is not a good representation. The name Hollywood concerns me - one of the local nursery people I talked with said that the tree I had may have been killed by the harsh cold winter we had this past season. I planted the tree 5 years ago when we first moved here (from CA) and the first four winters were pretty mild but we had a week in January that the temperature never got above freezing. If it was a Hollywood, that may have been the demise!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

One of the grafts on my 4 in 1 plum tree is a Hollywood. Its leaves are deep, dark purple.

We are colder here than you are, often below 0, and the tree has not suffered from it.

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the responses. I'll see about ordering the Hollywood variety from Raintree or wherever this fall. It's already to late for planting this spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.