How to make seed starting table/stand?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I would like to make a seed starting stand. I have no idea where to begin and would love ideas and input. If you have pics even better.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

MG, I have a room in my basement that was the old coal bin, we just converted it into my seed starting area this winter, I have not taken pictures that are more finished yet, but I have been up and running with it. Just needs the hot water connection done, I have cold right now.
It is so nice having my own area as I was doing every thing on my chest freezer and had to put everything away each time and get it back out again.
I also have a small plastic storage cabinet in the room on the other side to keep flats and bags of seed starting mix. And storage under the sink.

Could you tell me more of what you are looking for ?

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

here are pictures from this morning.
I like to use an old plastic table cloth, easier to dump soil back into the bag,

Storage cabinet

Window, I have hanging baskets of petunias that I started from seeds, and I over winter my 2 burgs down there, and geraniums.

The sink will be a great place to do final clean up of my pots and flats in the fall for storage.

One of 2 light stands.

I know this is probably more then what you are looking for but it may give you a jump start of ideas.

The more simple is a work table with a swallow bin to hold starting mix so you can fill up flats and pots. And space to sow the seeds.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ladyg, What a nice work area. I have that nice potting area Ric made me but when it is cold, dark and rainy I still end up working on the kitchen table. LOL
MGcrystal, You might find some good info in the Propagation Forum on tables. I have two one was built years ago and is a somewhat fancy and complicated thing. I wouldn't recommend building one like it as there are much easier ways to build them. The other is just a tall glass top table with a couple of lights hanging over it.

Wow! I love all the different ideas. I am going to use an area in the barn as a potting area but am thinking of setting up the seed starting shelves in the basement so it doesn't get too cold in the winter. I am definitely going to use the plastic tablecloth idea...I am getting soil everywhere!!! I have a Gorilla shelving unit in my garage and I am trying to figure out how to convert that into something I can use. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

Crystal

Holly, I would like to have a outdoor potting table, The patio table is what I uses now, but when I'm in spring gardening mode, the patio table is inhabitable for relaxing. LOL
I have a space that is between the garage and the raised deck, triangular shape. My "nursery", plants that I have not found the right spot for, is on the ground below. I was thinking of a drop down wood platform. When not in use, dropped down would obstruct the view of the junk stored under the deck and leave the nursery area to get some rain. Right now DH is doing so many "projects" for me I have to hold off still a bit asking about it. LOL

Crystal, glad I got some creative juices going. Those plastic tables cloths are great, the one with the felt backing are even better.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It really is a nice area pretty messy right now as I have been really busy potting things up. I have some saw horses and boards to sit my flats on. Today's weather is a bit iffy so everything is inside the garage. I park a wheel barrow with potting soil and set my board across it then work off that with all my stuff at hand in the potting shed. If I only have something small I pot it up on the shelf of the shed but when I have a lot to do I work off the wheel barrow. In the shed I have plant markers, rooting compound and a few pots of different sizes, scissors, stakes, fertilizer, and hand tools. There is a trash can full of mixed potting soil sitting next to the shed and some sand and cactus grit on the shelf if I want to mix up a batch of cactus soil.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have saw horses and boards set up for the flats everything can be moved out of the garage and on to the boards and back into the garage at night. The garage is about 10 degrees warmer than outside so the plants are safe in there. If we would get a really bad drop in temps I have a few space heaters I could run if I really needed too. I don't use this area or plants or even bulb storage in the winter as it can go below freezing in there. BTW I call it the garage but there is no garage door we put in the sliders years ago as this was never really used for parking the car more as a storage area. Pay no attention to the large leaf pile in the middle I was mulching them for the garden when the leaf vac jammed and I haven't gotten back to it.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is the table we are using right now. It is one of those high tables we picked up from along side the road and it can hold about 7 large flats on it. The double light hangs from the storage loft and once I am done using this the table goes out side to the yard and the whole light fixture gets pulled back to hang against the wall out of the way. You can see my plastic jugs hanging there for winter sowing, the blue soda flats are used to carry plants around and there are a few big decorative pots sitting there waiting to go outside.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wrong pic. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

I just saw an article in Mother Earth News about making saw horses for $6...I have a very large butcher block slab that has some water damage that I can use as a top....Will need some extra strong legs for that baby though.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well the potting shed was put to good use today. I was out there for quite a long time working. I just got my Co-op Mums and they will need to be potted up soon, too. That whole area is going to have an arbor built over it to hold our large wisteria and the stone drive will be bricked. I should be a very nice utility area when it is finished. I would like to get more shelves and lights set up in the garage for next year, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.