Need Advice for Fairy Garden Under Live Oak

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

We are starting a garden project underneath a 150 year old Live Oak. The idea is to make it a Fairy Garden. The tree is located on the west side of the house and gets late afternoon sun.The area to be planted is naturally mounded and full of oak seedlings.

Whats the best way to clear the area without damaging the tree roots and what small plants would you suggest for that area?

Any ideas would be really appreciated!

- Cue

Spooner, WI

I have dwarf spring bulbs, dwarf thyme, dwarf/mini hostas, and other such lovelies in my "Gnome Home" I put in last year. They were just planted in this area, so there's not much showing in the photo.

Thumbnail by ptilda
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

You might try newspaper or cardboard or a light mulch with bark to kill the seedlings so you can start. You definitely don't want to smother the tree roots, but these will all be light and break down pretty readily after killing the seedlings.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2010 10:30 AM

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks. we did the newspaper and added a good topsoil to plant immediately. discovreaed that the area gets dappled sun during the day and late afternoon sun later on. I think tht opens my planting options a little more

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I have some spider wort in my shade garden and it doesn't very big. I have been considering doing something under my cherry blossom tree. My main thoughts were spider wort, lung wort, small varieties of hosta, and sweet william.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.