xeriscaping amid trees

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I rarely contribute here but do a fair bit of reading here and enjoy the pics . And now I have a problem for all you creative people.

In our backyard, we have a shed, deck, birdbath, various potted plants, couple of flower beds and 3 trees -- but the backyard itself is bare dirt. How to xeriscape? (We do not like grass). I was going to put down weed-blocker cloth and then cedar mulch, but now realize that the debris from the trees is going to make the mulch look like a mess in no time, and I won't be able to use a leaf blower on it without blowing away the mulch.

So -- what would you do? I'd love to see photos of xeriscape using gravel, river rocks, etc. Or does anyone have a favorite website where you can see that kind of thing? I am afraid to pick something and then find out I have just bought myself a boring expanse of gravel. Maybe use a couple of different colors? Or more expensive river rock in small areas? I can't spend a whole lot.

Thanks, for any suggestions you have.

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!