HORSE TAIL plant

church Road, VA(Zone 7a)

I received a plant that I thought looked interesting. It is called HORSE TAIL. Upon reading about it, I see that it could be invasive, is a bog plant but also looks like a neat plant to use in flower arrangements. I would love to hear what others think of it and how you use it. Thanks loads for any info.
Shirley

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I have some in my water garden. It's been there about five years and hasn't spread significantly. I'm growing it in the water, not in a bog.

I don't use it for anything, just for interest in the water garden.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Shirley,

My sister lives in Homer, AK.
Around there--there is a VERY invasive plant that they call "Horse Tail"--it is just a coarse, grass-like plant (but NOT a grass--sort of similar to Witches Broom") about 12" high.

They hate it as it grows everywhere in the underbrush--all along the roadsides ans walkway sides....
I doesn't seem to have any desirable qualities....

Now--I am not sure this is the same as what you are talking about?????

Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

shleigh,

check out this link in the Plant Files:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=equsetium&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&searcher[genus]=Equisetum
It is probably an Equisetum, and identifying the species would be helpful. Some species given the right climate and habitat can be quite invasive. Some species, however, can be kept in a bog or water garden without problems. Whatever the species, it can be safely grown in a container as they are primative, non-flowering plants that spread mainly by rhizomes.

P.S. while it is not a fern, people on the fern forum would tend to be knowledgeable about other non-flowering plants. You might seek input there.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2010 9:31 AM

church Road, VA(Zone 7a)

Kinda what I surmised but perhaps it is where you live and how you use it. I think that I will for the time being keep it in a large pot and then have it to use in arrangemants. I don't have a bog area and don't want it to get into my other plants. It looks somewhat oriental so I can imagine it in some arrangements. Gitagel, It sounds like the same plant. greenthumb99, I will go to that site. Thank you all so much!!!.
Shirley

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Shirley, I saw on one of the gardening programs a few years ago what I thought was a really cool use of horsetail. It was a pretty plain, desert area garden and they had large ceramic containers with nothing but horsetail growing in them. Looked really nice.

These things don't sprout seeds so if you don't plant them in a natural waterway or wetland, you don't have to worry about them being invasive. Like I said, the ones I have in the water garden have barely spread at all in five years.

church Road, VA(Zone 7a)

Hart,
I can imagine lots of them in a pretty ceramic pot so will keep that in mind. I only have 2 sprigs now so will work on multiplying them. Thanks loads.
Shirley

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.